Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Grinding Noise,,,help Help Help

I Have A Big Problem, Last Saturday I Decided To Put The Matching Rear Differential For The 5 Speed. I Been Using The Stock One For About A Year, But Notice The Difference In Driving. I Did The 5 Speed Before Moving From Denver. But What I Did Was Replacing The Whole Differential And The Only Thing That I Change Was The Right Rear Cv Joint With Another Like The One On The Left Hand Side. To Avoid The Messing With The Inside Of The Differential. It Work Fine For A Couple Of Months. Jus Moving To Vegas. Just Arriving My Right Hand Side Joint Broke From Where The Loking Ring That Hold The Joint Inside The Differential. I Only Had $200 In My Pocket To Sorvive Until Finding A Job..(that Was Hard) And Riding The Bus, Or Walk In The Hottes Season Of The Year.... I Replace The Cv Joint And It Brocke Again. Well I Went Back To Denver Found An Svx At A Junk Yard. Bought The Whole Differential And Cv Joints.....
Came Back To Vegas Put Everything Back. And Driving It Since Then With The 5 Speed And The Stock Rear Differential....
Well I Decided To Use The Old Matching Diff. For The 5 Speed And Use It Intead Of The Stock Only Keeping The Limited Slip... Witch Will Fit Right In The Housing Of The 5 Speed Rear Differential. Very Easy To Do. Put Everything Together Went For A Drive And Heared A Very Bad Grinding Noise. Figure It Was The Trany Been Use To The Stock Diff. Well Got Another 5 Speed With 75k Miles From A 96 Impreza Same One Use Before. Still Having The Problem. Took A Part The 2 Diff. Use The Housing An Bearing From The Stock One And Use The Pinion From The Impreza One( Figure The Bearing Went Bad Because It Has Been Sitting There For More Than A Year With Out Oil) Well Put Every Thing Back On And Still Have That Sound. When I Push The Clutch (brand New) The Sound Goes Away. Any Ideas??????????
Old 03-10-2005, 10:58 AM

that's a bit confusing for me to follow (I'm getting old). What I missed was the part where you have SVX and 5-speed differentials - you did swap to the appropriate gear ratios, matching the rear ring/pinion that in the 5-speed, yes?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:20 AM

yes, i did and that is when the problem started.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I think for clarification you should mention which 5 speed you are using and which rear differential (and gears) you are currently using.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM

To Be Honest, The Only Thing I Know Is That I Pull Them Off Of A 96' Impreza.