How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
That would be a nice option to offer the customer. Since I can't ship parts directly from the warehouse though, I usually offer a discount for making the customer wait. Or if they live a good distance away from us I offer to ship it to them for free so they don't have to make the trip twice.
Dave
Want to come down & take over an Orlando Subaru parts dept? I live 75 miles from them & here's the deal they wanted. Won't take credit card over phone, I must drive there and pay up front for the part, then return when the part comes in....300 miles of driving with no discount offered.

I for one am glad of Internet parts like SubaruParts.com, etc.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I for one am glad of Internet parts like SubaruParts.com, etc.
Same here. Now, if only they could direct-ship from any regional distribution center (or Tokyo, for that matter), given current inventory management technology and the fact that UPS stops at most every business address in the entire known universe at least once a day. Supposing a pulley was on a shelf in Atlanta Monday morning when I started phoning and e-mailing around (and I'd be willing to wager one was), it could have been shipped by UPS normal (read: cheap) ground service and been in my hands by the time I sat down to my bologna sandwich the next day. Had I placed the order with the dealership, someone was going to have to pull the part, anyway, and it might take all of three minutes to key-in a UPS shipment on their Web site and slap a label on a box.

Bobb, I'd cheerfully give my local Subaru dealership a chance... if I had a local Subaru dealership. The nearest is roughly an hour and a half away. And theirs was the highest quote.

dcb
Old 02-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Parts

Hi Darrell, When you are not close to a dealer you just have to go to plan "B". Which I would think would be ordering over the net or by telephone. I have been distant ordering for decades. Long before the internet showed up. No pressure on you. The Internet is even better for information before you order. So for you and Lee, Subaruparts.com gets another satisfied customer. Take care, BOBB
Old 02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Hagglemeister

It is not uncommon for most companies to dicker on higher ticket items, or even items that are obviously high-margin. It doesn't just happen at auto dealers. Do people actually pay list price at the furniture store? Electronics stores? The dentist? Shoot, I've haggled Sears down $200 on a toolbox, my dentist down $75 on a root canal, God knows how many thousands of dollars at Circuit City, Best Buy, HH Gregg, Levitz, American Furniture, etc. When you go to buy something take a moment to reflect on how hard you had to work to earn the money for what you're about to spend. I'll be danged if I'm gonna give it up as easily, just because they are asking that much. Duh. If it is our duty to question authority isn't it also in our best interest to not be taken advantage of?

Don't get me wrong, I don't quibble over little things, like the price of wings with the servers at Hooter's.

<soapbox off>
Old 03-11-2005, 10:12 AM

I go by the old saying "if you don't ask, you won't get", you have nothing to lose by asking. I've found that most will give you a discount just by asking for it