How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-20-2004, 08:59 PM
svxboy94

valve cover gasket

alright my cars leaking oil like crazy, i need a new valve cover gasket what do i need to look for and what exactly do i need to buy if someone could help me out send me a link or something its my left gasket as if u were standing in front if the car looking at the engine, it leaks oil like crazy, i need to knwo where to buy one and quick so i can get it changed, and do i have to pull or tilt the motor to change it, if so im gettin a professional to do it. i knwo i need the gasket i looked on subaru parts.com and it said left rocker cover gasket(aka valve cover) would this be all i needed to order was that gasket or do i need other things to. please please let me know im keeping oil in the car and doing all i can do keep from having to replace the engine, i dont really feel like doing that i bought the car for 1100 and ive put nearly 3000 into itfixing it. and its gettin ready for a make over(paint job) please let me know what i need im seriously desparate
Old 12-20-2004, 09:19 PM
The Molinator

valve cover gasket

I think there are 2 to 3 rubber gaskets on each side.....I bot 'em, but didn't replace them....they're just hard to get at....scratched hands, etc. ....there is a thread about how to get the VC out once unbolted..........I did Beav trick fix....didn't do much at first ....but somehow seemed to tighten VC over time ???

He recommends trying to tighten.....by unloosening one VC bolt at a time...then replacing with o-ring between head of bolt and "washer"....this puts a little more pressure on VC to squeeze gaskets with the added thickness of o-ring between bolt head and washer.....YOURS MAY BE TOO FAR GONE....BUT THIS IS EASY TO DO...JUST A FEW O-rings.....you might want to try

GOOD LUCK!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 12-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: valve cover gasket

Quote:
Originally posted by svxboy94
its my left gasket as if u were standing in front if the car looking at the engine, it leaks oil like crazy, i need to knwo where to buy one and quick so i can get it changed, and do i have to pull or tilt the motor to change it, [/B]
If it's the left side when you're standing in front of the car looking at the motor, then it's the "right" side Valve cover, as they are designated like you were sitting in the drivers seat looking at them.

The right one is by the air filter box, and is the easiest one to change.

Here is what you'll need to change both of them.

Description-amount-where I got them-part number-price per

Washer Rocker -24- Liberty Subaru- 13271AA051- $2.00
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13294AA030- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13294AA020- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13272AA031- $15.71
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13293AA020- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13293AA011- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13270AA031- $15.31

It's not to bad to change them, you DO NOT have to tilt the motor, but the driver's side is a bit of a PITA, but do-able
I did mine, it took me a couple hours.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"