Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 AM

Talking The "Volvo vs Subaru" movie .... :)

-Well , someone some time ago mentioned this movie... but I can't remember who or where ...

Sorry for the VERY bad quality, and the spoken language is Swedish...but seeing is beleiving ...

This particular Volvo model does NOT have the new Haldex 4wd tho.

THE MOVIE (.MOV)

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 11-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
hmmm... there must be something wrong with my computer... other than "Subaru Outback", I couldn't understand a word that he said

Pretty cool video anyway, even with the language barrier it was still fairly sad for volvo. They should have used the Soob to pull the Volvo and the trailer up the hill
Old 11-30-2004, 10:13 AM

I'll just like it when in the end he summarizes: -Sorry Volvo this is NOT a good 4WD car.... -but THAT (and points towards the Outback) is a good 4WD car!

If you wonder why he revs the Volvo that hard, it's because the ppl at Volvo had pointed out after the first test that "for the rear wheels to fully engage, you MUST rev the engine harder" .... !

They ended up reving the engine for several minutes!! and the only result was a huge hole after the FRONT wheels ...

And Hocrest .... haven't you been told to enable the "language_translator.dll" ...? , that'll do the trick

/Sonny

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***

Last edited by Sonar; 11-30-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
The only thing

I know about four wheel drive is what I've learned from my past 6 subarus. And I know nothing of Volvos other than they are supposed to be a very safe car. I have to wonder (as my Swedish is so rusty ) are you sure that they were testing a awd and not a 4 wheel drive that hadn't been shifted?
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 11-30-2004, 12:51 PM

Hi Mitch

All Volvo 4WD's are called AWD and are permanently engaged systems, but the fault with the "old" AWD (transfer clutch) system is that the engineers had programmed the rear wheel engagement to "weak".

So if you drive a older Volvo AWD on a straight way, the ratio is around 5/95 rear/front, and increases (should anyway) if the front wheel loses traction.

This did not happen (not enough anyway) in the test, the only reaction from the rear wheels was that they just bareley , not even noticeable, helped, so little in fact that they questioned if the car was AWD at all ....

And remember this test was a re-test where they followed the instructions from Volvo exactly !

/Sonny

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: