How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 02:43 PM
96svxer

Please have a look in my locker. Pics of the seatbelt ecu in there. Those 4 black squares on the right hand side. Those are the relays for the seatbelt motors. I could not find a way to get them out with out damaging the circuit board, thus I had to buy a new one. Very few of these ECU's left in existance.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:17 PM

Well, now the belt is stuck all the way forward. I found this out after the car sat for a few days because of transmission troubles when I went to drive it to the tranny shop.
96svxer, I searched your name and found lots of threads. Thanks, it will take a while for me to read them all. Correct me if I am wrong, but in the few threads I read, it seems as if you thought you had things fixed a few times with different repairs and now you recommend to me the computer. Did this ultimatly turn out to be the final fix for you? Thanks. Bill Z
Old 12-09-2004, 06:07 AM
96svxer

Well I had many fixes, but I also had many problems. I replaced the ECU over a year ago and the seatbelts have worked perfectly since. Another member also replaced the ECU and had the same results. This was indeed the fix to the "my seatbelts only work with the key in the ignition problem" . It was hard because at the time nobody had a clue how the system worked and nobody had a wiring schematic. So I just gutted the car and got my Voltmeter out and made my own schematic.

If your seatbelt is stuck in the forward position. Manually crank the seatbelt back using an allenhead wrench and reset the system. Then test for proper operation of the seatbelt. If it gets stuck in the forward position again. One of your seatbelt limit switches are bad, and you will need to replace that also. You can get them at Radio Shack.

Last edited by 96svxer; 12-09-2004 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:24 AM
zollinw

OK, thanks. If I may, where do I use the allen wrench? My shop manuals are with the car at the tranny shop and I didn't see how to do this in the owners manual. Thanks. Hopefully I can get it all figured out with the help of the old threads. Bill Z
Old 12-09-2004, 08:12 AM
96svxer

You have to remove the rear seat. Pull the two black tabs under the seat and remove cushion. there will be a small hole on the side of the car where an allen head wrench will fit into. I believe the allen head wrench in the arm rest console under the fake floor will fit but not positive. Just crank on it until the seatbelt retracts.....Make sure you have the door closed or the seatbelt will try and fight you.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40 AM
zollinw

Great, thanks. Bill Z
Old 12-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
I have the same exact problem and found out that the front LS is bad. The problem was finally picked up by the ECU and it confirmed my diagnositic by reading the blinky-blinky light. I'm just too lazy to fix it right now. If memory serves me correctly, the front LS is suppose to be Normally Closed (NC) and mine tested to be NO.

that reminds me, I better put the ECU back in so at least I can operate the seat belt using the rear window switch!

have a good weekend.

Ali
'92

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 12-16-2004, 07:44 PM

when i got my first 92 svx the seat belt on the drivers side was stuck in the forward position. the pasenger side worked fine.

opened up the panel in the rear seat drivers side.
the wire to open the autobelt never had power.
i ran electricity to the terminal or maybe i switched the wires and it ran back, but as soon as i opened the door it ran forward and stayed forward.
opened the trunk, pulled out the linings and
replaced the computer unit that is under the rear window platform

disconected the battery overnight
reconnected it

everything has worked ever since.

i got my computer out of a 94 svx parts car.

ps before changing the computer i thought about switching the wires from the drivers side to the passenger side, but they were slightly diffrent.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:13 PM
96svxer

It's always the seatbelt ECU. ALWAYS!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Even though, the diag shows that front limit switch is at fault?

Quote:
Originally posted by 96svxer

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 AM
96svxer

Quote:
Even though, the diag shows that front limit switch is at fault?
Oh no. I ment it's always the ECU if the seatbelts only work with the keys in the ignition. Sorry. Replacement of your font limit switch is a very easy procedure though. Go to Radio Shack buy their "microswitches" I think I payed like three dollars. Bend the arms on the microswitch to match the subaru and thats it. The radio shack switches are nearly identical
Old 12-29-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Replacement of your front limit switch is a very easy procedure though.
But isn't getting to the limit switch difficult? I was looking at it and couldn't figure out how to do it without breaking something, like the trim. Perhaps someone could explain otherwise
Old 12-30-2004, 12:19 PM
96svxer

I did all this owrk about 1 1/2 years ago but it wasn't hard at all from what I remember. Remove the rear seat. And remove any screws that you see holding the trim on and just pull the trim off. The limit switch will just be staring you in the face. I think you might be surprised how easy it is. I had the trim off in less than 1/2 hour. good luck
Old 02-01-2005, 09:06 PM

Oh! I thought the front limit switch was located at the end of the seatbelt track, near the steering wheel/windshield.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Ehhh...no, not always. When stuck or delayed in the rear position and needing a gentle outward push or movement, it's a mechanical issue. You can even force it to occur by pulling it inward slightly before opening the door. It will lock in place almost everytime. I have yet to take mine apart, but it has suffered the same malady for awhile now, and is none worse for wear as long as I remember to give it the nudge when it does get stuck. It's likely a worn part in the guide which is inhibiting smooth movement. Note that if you don't free it when stuck, you run the risk of eventually burning out the motor or control unit.

If it's stuck in the forward or any other position in between, then you might have a motor or control unit problem.

KuoH

Quote: