How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-13-2004, 06:58 PM
tlemmons

Need help troubleshooting problem

I just had my transmission replaced and now my car wont start. I dont know if the tranny guys did something or if this is just another unrelated car problem. I am beginning to think this car is possesed with all its weirdnesses.

Anyway the car just turns over and over but will not start up. I went to check the codes but the check engine light will not come on at all. Also the primary relay under the dash buzzes like it is being turned on and off continuosly. I first thought that my ECU was dead but I replaced it and that did not fix it. I have also replaced the relay to no avail. When I turn on the key most of the dash lights come on like normal but no check engine light at all. I also appear to be getting no gas to the engine but I am assuming that whatever is causing the problems is also not allowing my fuel pump to work.

I have check the fuses and as much of the wiring as I can especially around the tranny but cannot find anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:28 PM

is the relay you mention the one that provides ignition cut-off if the alarm goes off? If so, you might try unplugging the security box and see if maybe it hasn't caused your problem
Old 11-13-2004, 07:42 PM
tlemmons

I dont know if it is. It is the big yellow relay that is mounted to the left of the steering column. It has about 6 connections to it.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
It sure sounds like your talking about the ecu. However, if you look directly on the opposite side of the ecu the fuel pump relay is right there. You might try checking that out if you already haven't done that.(I know you said you replaced a relay, but which one?) I know I had the same exact problem when i first got swapped over to a five speed. I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start and why the fuel pump wasn't working. It was cause I only had the tcu (didn't need) plugged in instead of the ecu. And one other time I was driving home and the 87 octane code from LAN's chip managed to come loose and hang down. Needless to say I ended up pulling the chip out and lost everything on the spot. I had to pull the ecu out right before charley came through...Either way sorry about the rant, just bored....
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Fix it yet?

Are all the plugs for the ECU plugged in securely?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
tlemmons

Found it. It was actually a bad battery combined with a loose ground wire on the back of the intake. Guess it would draw the battery down far enough on a start that the ECU would freak out and not reboot.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
as long as u fxed it
Old 05-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Intermittent fuel pump not functioning

Race car died on the track today (but I still managed to coast through the remaining slalom and right back to my spot in grid ). No power to the fuel pump now. Plug in the back looks good. What exactly does the relay look like. I know it is somewhere around the top of the brake pedal. Any fuses or any other issues that could be causing it? Its the same thing it did 2 weeks ago, then it just started right up and ran fine for like 30 starts. Car also spikes its gauges slightly when going to start on occasion. My electrical FSM is at Dave's and he's in my back yard replacing an impreza tranny.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:07 AM
SVX Appeal

Get this,
Symptom: Engine overheats.
Problem: Bad battery.

Battery won't charge and overloads the alternator. The extra load on the 100+ AMP alternator wears out the belt and stops turning the water pump pulley. Engine overheats.

Admittedly, an extra high-amp alternator should be running dual v-belts instead of just one, but boiling a little coolant is better than cooking a $200 alternator. Two mechanics at separate shops were unable to diagnose the problem. A $50 battery isn't worth two-hundred-something dollars in diagnostics.

Bad batteries (or bad electrical connections) can cause endless headaches. I'm glad you found the problem. Sometimes I think there should be a drill sergeant to scream "check for voltage!" anytime something isn't working quite right.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Get this,
Symptom: Engine overheats.
Problem: Bad battery.

Battery won't charge and overloads the alternator. The extra load on the 100+ AMP alternator wears out the belt and stops turning the water pump pulley. Engine overheats.
Not on the SVX though as that belt only turns the alternator and power steering. Water pump is driven by the timing belt.

Probably could happen on a GM though.