How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
The Molinator

Question Rear Bearings .......AGAIN ! ! ! ?

A tire shop, mounting my new Hankook (K102's ?) tires, while in a hurry to "work me in...so I could get to work on time"...USED AN AIR GUN MORE THAN NORMAL (usually barely tighten, then hand tighten with torque wrench) ....by tightening the lug nuts completely (REAR WHEELS ONLY). By the time I realized what was happening (first time ever there!), it was too late.

Well, it appears that the dirty deed was done, because I'm getting more and more (apparent) rear bearing noise since that tire mounting job (about one month ago). I believe I heard here that there is a better than stock bearing, possibly Impreza or Legacy part, that would be reasonably priced and might last longer. PLEASE GIVE ANY AND ALL INFO ABOUTANY BEARING THAT WOULD BE SUPERIOR TO THE STOCK REAR BEARINGS (which I replaced myself [Hubtamer] about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago.

Thanks!.....

P.S. Yes, I retorqued manually when I got home from the tire shop!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You're grasping here

Overtorquing the wheel lug nuts would have no effect on the wheel bearing. The lug bolts would have snapped off before enough torque could be applied to significantly distort the hub and cause the bearings any grief.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If it turns out that the rear bearing has coincidentally gone bad, keep in mind that the 2004 STi uses the same rear wheel bearing. I'd recommend sticking with the OEM bearing. Its definitely strong enough. Just needs to be installed properly.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:16 AM
red95svx

Subaru bearings are tricky...you have to do them right or they are doomed to early, repeat failure. We see a lot of customers come in complaining about bearing noise after having one installed at a local garage.....turns out the garage didn't do it right. Anyway, the OEM bearing itself is a good one and it is also used by the STI. That's the only other Subaru that shares that bearing.

Dave
Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 AM
The Molinator

NO PROBLEM!............???

I remember thread after thread talking about torqueing affecting the rear bearings.....??????

Oh WELL!.....maybe it's rear axle....or driveshaft U-joint???

whatdayathink?

P.S. I'm not a mechanic, but I am very mechanically inclined! I used the Hubtamer I bought on eBay........SOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo.......I think I did it right!? It sure worked good ....up to about one month ago....and it's gone bad fairly rapidly since then!

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR THIS REAR BEARING TYPE NOISE?

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 10-28-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:13 PM

<<I remember thread after thread talking about torqueing affecting the rear bearings.....??????>>

over torqueing the lateral link bolt will destroy your bearing.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by svxpert
<<I remember thread after thread talking about torqueing affecting the rear bearings.....??????>>

over torqueing the lateral link bolt will destroy your bearing.
As well as overtorquing the axle nut.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yeah! What they ^ said!

heheheh Sorry James, I couldn't resist. Sorry it didn't last longer but you know, the knuckle may have been tweaked by someone else before you bought the car. Didn't you replace the bearing relatively soon after buying the car? I think it would be highly difficult to 'eyeball' a distorted knuckle, unless a trash truck had driven over it.

p.s. I know some have problems removing the outer half of the inside race from the hub when changing the bearings. Sometimes, and I'm not making any accusations here, I wonder if some leave it in place and install it into the new bearing. I'm kinda thinking maybe the other fella that's had three replaced in a matter of a few days has been subjected to a 'mechanic' that has taken that approach.

Last edited by Beav; 10-28-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:04 PM
The Molinator

SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....?

So, it's the rear bearings.....for sure?

I love my SVX.......but this is *#%& @&#* !!!

THANKS! for the help, guys......

P.S. If the stock rear bearings are so good, then why are they so famous for wearing out prematurely ???

Last edited by James Scott; 10-28-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

How in heck would we know from here?

The stock bearings are just fine for cars that weigh half as much and sport a lot less tire. Smooth roads, loading, etc. prolly have a lot to do with it also.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:52 AM
red95svx

Re: SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....?

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
So, it's the rear bearings.....for sure?

I love my SVX.......but this is *#%& @&#* !!!

THANKS! for the help, guys......

P.S. If the stock rear bearings are so good, then why are they so famous for wearing out prematurely ???

Subarus are hard on their bearings for some reason. Every model suffers from one degree or another. A properly installed bearing should last for at least a couple of years though IF you don't beat on your car. I'm at 60,000 + miles on my last one and doing fine.

Dave

P.S. I still get calls from local "mechanics" who think it's great that our bearings come packed in grease and ready to install!!

That grease is simply a "shipping grease" and should be cleaned off the bearing before install. A good, high temp grease should be used in its place.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:35 AM

Re: Re: SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....?

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Subarus are hard on their bearings for some reason.
I've had three brand-new Subarus (in a previous, married life), and the sole instance of warranty service I recall having performed was a left-rear wheel bearing replacement on a '90 Legacy.

dcb
Old 10-29-2004, 08:34 AM
red95svx

Re: Re: Re: SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....?

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

I've had three brand-new Subarus (in a previous, married life), and the sole instance of warranty service I recall having performed was a left-rear wheel bearing replacement on a '90 Legacy.

dcb

The early model Legacys were much better with bearing life than the newer ones are.

Dave
Old 11-09-2004, 07:02 PM
The Molinator

I CAN'T BEAR THIS!

Just to follow thru with your comments:

1.) I used a HubTamer I bought on eBay - I think I installed them properly! I removed all races.
2.) I used Redline red bearing grease after dissolving out packing grease.
3.) I know I didn't over-torque the lateral link or axle nuts.
4.) This rear bearing noise (I assume....sounds like before when they went bad) got much worse and has still gotten worse since the new rear tires (Hankook K102's) were installed ?????????!
5.) How long can I go without risking some disastrous failure?
6.) AM I CRAZY.....OR WAS THERE A THREAD WHICH WENT ON FOR MONTHS (about a year to 1 1/2 years ago) ABOUT SEEKING A LARGER, HIGHER QUALITY BEARING ......TO AVOID WHAT WAS REFERRED TO AS PREMATURE BEARING FAILURE (STOCK BEARING TOO SMALL - IMPROPERLY ENGINEERED) !!!???!!!???!!!???

AND PART OF THIS DISCUSSION CENTERED AROUND WARPAGE OF HUB FROM OVER-TORQUEING OF LUGNUTS!!!???!!!???

THANKS for your HELP!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:36 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
So, if I understand correctly what you wrote, you replaced a rear wheel bearing using a hub tamer, and within some short period of time (how many days/weeks/months?), the bearing started howling again?

There was a topic a while back discussing the hope for a "better" wheel bearing, but it turned out only to be "hope". Besides, Subaru is using this same bearing on the WRX STi which is its flagship sports car, so either the bearing is sufficiently durable, or Subaru is dumb beyond comprehension. I would suspect the former.

I have not heard anything about warping the hub by overtorquing the lugnuts. Have you done a search on the topic?

I drove over 5000 miles with both rear wheel bearings howling. The pitch never got worse. (It actually decreased on long road trips on straight roads.) People who have examined howling bearings have found no evidence of disasterous failure... only minor scoring/pitting.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.