Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-20-2004, 09:01 PM

Question Strange Alarm thing (hopefully you all don't mind long posts)

I am going to describe this problem exactly what i did to encounter it. Basically my horn beep when i drive sometimes when the alarm system is connected and the security light always blinks even when i am driving.
My SVX, new to me about a week ago, had a blown fuse (four way flashers) which also controls the alarm somehow. When i replaced that fuse, i reprogramed the alarm and everything was hunky dory..
Anyway, i pulled the codes and got a knock sensor. i thought the sensor wasn't bad, because gas mileage is very good (at least for the SVX), and performance is fine, as hard as i pushed it anyway. So i did the whole, disconnect the ECU system to make it relearn, and i found that after a few hours the light reiluminated, and gave the same codes (after i got over to autozone)
Now, i haven't reprogramed the remote since leaving the system disconnected, because it usually still works. But the security light blinks all the time, and the horn sometimes beeps when i drive.. very randomly.. like once or twice and then wont do it again.. and it sounds like the doors try to lock or something sometimes.. VERY wierd.. so right now my alarm is disconnected in the trunk.. Do i possibly need a new alarm box? has anyone else had a problem like this?
Thanks for reading it all if you did.. haha, if not i don't blame you.. i just like to describe things well..
-Ryan

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
SVX factory alarm systems can be very problematic at times. Mine will beep once or twice like you described while off however, for no apparent reason.

I think the best, and probably cheapest option is to replace with an aftermarket alarm.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-20-2004, 10:07 PM

Any ideas as to a way i could just disconnect the alarm, and still use the remote to operate the door locks?
Or a simple to install option for after market.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2004, 09:00 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
My alarm has activated several times while just driving along. Not just a few beeps, but like someone's trying to steal it. :-)) I have noticed that on the days when it activated while driving, its usually raining. Kinda interesting, but I'm getting off my original point. On your car, the factory alarm is located in the roof of the trunk. If you look there, you'll see a hatch. Pop that hatch and the alarm module is right there. You can reset the alarm by pulling the harness connection. When the alarm is disabled at the dash (on blinking light at all any time), your remote will still lock and unlock the doors. With the alarm deactivated, when you press the remote button, the doors lock/unlock, and the horn makes a quick stutter sound rather than the usual beep, or beep-beep.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:13 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
SVX factory alarm systems can be very problematic at times. Mine will beep once or twice like you described while off however, for no apparent reason.

I think the best, and probably cheapest option is to replace with an aftermarket alarm.
My car does the same beep while off thing. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the popping windshield thing. I believe that the windshield will pop while the car is off, due to expansion, and the security system feels the pop and beeps a warning beep as if someone was attempting to break in.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-21-2004, 11:20 AM
sans SVX

hehe. This reminds me, there is some car in the parking lot at work that has a very sensitive alarm, and my Stebro exhaust sets it off everytime I start my car. :-)))

Anyhow, have you tried adjusting the alarm sensitivity level?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:38 PM

I reprogrammed my remote, after i plugged the system back in, and it seems to work fine now, no beep or anything wierd yet. When the system was unplugged in the trunk i don't think the remote would unlock the doors.. but i will unplug it later and try again.

Old 05-21-2004, 02:33 PM
sans SVX

It definitely will not lock/unlock the doors if its unplugged. :-) But if you disable the alarm at the dash by pushing the alarm button with the ignition off, the remote will still lock/unlock the doors.

Visit my locker

Old 05-21-2004, 06:11 PM

Even when i turned off the switch the horn would beep and wierd things.. it seems fine now that i reprogrammed though..

Old 05-21-2004, 06:25 PM
sans SVX

Yes, instead of beep/beep-beep, the horn will stutter when the remote is used with the alarm disabled. I think the different sound is just a reminder that the alarm is disabled.

Visit my locker

Old 05-21-2004, 06:33 PM

i had the same thing happen to me, one time; but only one time.
Was a nice hot day, all windows down, sunroof open, going around 60 mph, jamming really loud on the stereo. Didn't like the way the door lock/unlock levers rattle in the doors so i had pushed them down, locking the doors.

Shortly after that, i thought i heard my alarm going off, like i said, music was really loud. I turned down the stereo and sure enough, alarm was going off. I reached for the remote on the keychain, pushed the button several times; did not stop it.

I reached over and pushed the alarm switch, did not stop it.

I had to pull of the road, stop the car, shut it off, push the remote button to get it to stop alarming.

I figured that since i had manually locked the doors, and was really pounding the bass, that perhaps the system got confused or that I triggered some sensor.

Since then, I have never had the music that loud while driving.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:13 AM

So i thought this problem was fixed.. Yesterday, i noticed the security light blinking while i was driving.. No horn beep at all, but why will this problem come back after a while? Is it just some wierd glitch in the security module?
Who knows.. I will just reprogram the remote again if the horn beeps again, haha, seems to work for at least a few days.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:51 PM

"the security light is supposed to blink while you are driving it. It does not blink when the car alarm is armed and the car is turned off. I is not a warning light to deter criminals, it is almost like it is a reminder to the driver that the alarm is armed."

I have never understood the reasoning behind it, I asked my mechanic about it right after i bought the svx, and he told me the above information.

My light does not always start blinking as soon as I start driving.
But some time later, i will look down and see the light blinking. If I push the button to stop the light from blinking I have turned of my alarm, and when i got to lock the car, i get the stutter horn beeps of "yep, doors locked but alarm not on".

I don't think the blinking alarm light while you are driving is connected to the alarm going off while you are driving. You could try turning off the alarm as soon as you get in, before you start driving, and see if the light blinks or alarm sounds while you are in motion.

Good Luck
Old 05-24-2004, 08:45 PM

Electrical systems are so cunfusing. And not understanding it bugs the hell out of me.
I have read in other places that the light is not supposed to blink while ignition is on. It seems like right after i disconnect and reconnect the system and reprogram the remote, (i.e. it is reset and working properly) the light goes out when ignition is on, blinks when off and solid when armed. The only time the horn has beeped (not alarm going off just horn beeps once or twice, like the "shock warning" when the alarm is armed) is when the light is blinking when the car is on. At this point i think i give up and will just leave it off. Locked doors are generally good enough for me.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:25 PM
sans SVX

The light does not blink with my alarm when the engine is running. I think the bottom line is the the SVX alarm is pretty flakey. I'm only still using it because I'm too lazy to find a replacement and wire it up.

Visit my locker