Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2004, 04:09 PM
tancred

i think when the cam sensor died that mighta caused the smoke, timing for exhaust jets and such? intake jets? im a rotary nut, not piston so im guessing..
Old 05-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
If a cam sensor went bad, it could probably cause smoke, yes. I don't know whether or not the ECU would start using a 'limp home' setting once it saw the failure. But, based on the information given, I do recommend that you get the sensor replaced immediately.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-13-2004, 04:15 PM
tancred

i plan on it..
Old 05-15-2004, 04:18 PM
SVX Appeal

Check your exhaust system. I've seen symptoms like these several times.

I wonder, does it bog down when you romp on it at speeds below thirty, but not at speeds higher than that? If so, the car is capable of enough acceleration at low speeds that something may shift and plug your exhaust, but at higher speeds you don't have enough umph to cause this problem. This happened to me once when a catalytic converter had a chunk broken inside that would plug up the outlet.

Backpressure from anywhere in your exhaust can cause smoking, loss of power, and could definitely goof up your O2 sensor readings. You also said the exhaust seemed noisier? Sounds like another exhaust symptom.

I've seen plugged cats, broken cats, pinched pipes, rusty mufflers, un-packing glass packs, and carbon fouled flame arrestors all cause plugged exhausts. They all ran great at idle, and some of them ran pretty well most of the time, but they all ran very poorly sometimes. ...and they can be very hard to diagnose. Ever flow-tested an entire exhaust? How about while it's being bumped and jostled? Yeah. Me neither, but that's what it'd take to test for these problems. Ya might just run straight pipes for a day and see if that fixes things.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:22 PM
tancred

Thanks, what it was doing was i couldnt get into power mode, it would shift at 4k no matter how hard i tried, but if i gradually gave it gas it would go past, everytime id go for powermode it would choke, and shift up, down, then up again.

So i changed fuel types, idled the old out, brought in new chevron SUPREME, that fixxed it to a stutter and then it continued up the power band so my idea was that it was bad gas, and my knock sensors were keeping me from detonating, so then i try it again, minimal hesitation down to nothing......

Still not getting a power mode light, but its going the distance, so light be damned...
i will drop exhaust and look tho, that sounds like a damn fine idea..

THANKS