Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-08-2004, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Engine making a TON of noise. emergency 911 dead SVX.

OK. my exhaust has been getting progressively worse and worse, missing gasket, and resonator trashed completely. but tonight, something definantly went wrong BIG TIME with engine, its just hard to tell WHAT.

The best way to describe it is a 'clack' looking in from the passengerside of the engine, underneith the plastic BOXER cover, above the differencial dipstick, there is this very large blue gear of sorts. infront of the gear(towards front of car) is this metal disc shaped thing. it APPEARS to have wear marks on it. I THINK thats where the noise is coming from. its INCREDIBLY loud. rev the engine, it goes away. its only at idle and low speeds, but its insanely loud. suggestions?

J
Old 05-08-2004, 07:48 PM

more info

there is no check engine light. the car still shifts fine. if you were deaf, you would not know there was a problem, the car seems to perform fine(obviously didnt do anything major with it sounding like this though, just had the 6 mile run home like this). Please tell me this isn't insanely major, I have no money...
Old 05-08-2004, 07:54 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
noise

Can you post a picture, or a clip, or a drawing of the problem area? But DO NOT RUN IT UNNECESSARILY!
Old 05-08-2004, 08:01 PM

I can't....but maybe I can describe it better.

its late at night, have no camera available. or anything else..Talking with mike on AIM, he says its the flexplate. so uncool.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Blue Gear

James,

That sounds like the only thing it could be. Maybe the nuts just loosened up, or the flex plate cracked. The flywheel/flex plate is about 14" in diameter and located between the engine and the transmission. You can only see it through an access hole on the top of the bell housing a little to the passenger side. This hole is usually covered up with a black rubber plug. (2 1/2 " wide X 1 1/2" tall)

Tom

P.S. Feel free to call me on my cell phone (301) 707-3437.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:03 PM

okk....plug?

my car has no plug to hide that from view. never has to my knowledge. its open also to the bottom of the car (you can see the blue gear while changing tranny fluid and such). would this of caused crud to get in and damage it?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
No - they are all exposed at the bottom.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:06 PM

pretty certain you cracked your flexplate. I did it on all 4 bolts once...and it sounded just like you describe. Sounds like all hell broke lose when mine broke but kinda disappeared in the engine noise when you reved it. My car was able to continue moving w/ only 1 part of the flex plate accutally caught on the 1 bolt that remained. I broke it good! 6.5k neutral drop....an absolute accident...but I got 1 hell of a AWD burnout.