How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 AM

Please help

Hi,
a few months back, my friend was bringing my baby back from having new spark plugs put in. In mid travel, he felt the engine start to run funny. He pulled over becuase as well as the engine difficulty, the right front caliper was smacking againt the inside surface of the wheel, once every rotation of the wheel. i had 2 opinions on the diagnosis of the problem, and i was devastated when they told me the tranny was shot.

for months, i've been searching for a replacement trannie, and nothing could be found in my price range, and i don't want to wait forever. I need my car back quickly.

I am preparing to do a swap with a Legacy trannie. Through hours of searching the archived posts, I've found that parts from a 90-94 Legacy would work best, and I would need the following, all from the same car:

transmission, rear differential, flywheel, and torque converter.

If anyone has had to do the same swap and has input as to what all needs to be done (mainly with the rear differential), or anyone who knows anything about this, your information is very appreciated.

Also, a how-to for transmission and rear differential removal would be greatly appreciated, because me and a friend mine will be removing the replacement parts from the Legacy ourselves, in a U-pull it junkyard.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Please help

Quote:
Originally posted by excaliber
Hi,
a few months back, my friend was bringing my baby back from having new spark plugs put in. In mid travel, he felt the engine start to run funny. He pulled over becuase as well as the engine difficulty, the right front caliper was smacking againt the inside surface of the wheel, once every rotation of the wheel. i had 2 opinions on the diagnosis of the problem, and i was devastated when they told me the tranny was shot.

for months, i've been searching for a replacement trannie, and nothing could be found in my price range, and i don't want to wait forever. I need my car back quickly.

I am preparing to do a swap with a Legacy trannie. Through hours of searching the archived posts, I've found that parts from a 90-94 Legacy would work best, and I would need the following, all from the same car:

transmission, rear differential, flywheel, and torque converter.

If anyone has had to do the same swap and has input as to what all needs to be done (mainly with the rear differential), or anyone who knows anything about this, your information is very appreciated.

Also, a how-to for transmission and rear differential removal would be greatly appreciated, because me and a friend mine will be removing the replacement parts from the Legacy ourselves, in a U-pull it junkyard.

Thanks

Check the "How To" locker. Huck's five-speed how-to might help. I'm sure removal and replacement procedures are the same. Just skip the parts about assembling pedals, shifter, etc.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How do you go from "right front caliper hitting wheel" to "blown tranny"???
Old 01-16-2004, 03:47 PM
overdalimit

Damn......From worse to Drastic....That's a hell of a problem spree!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I came up with the same question as Dave. I don't see how a bad tranny would cause the caliper to come in contact with the wheel.

I replaced my tranny myself last spring. The best how-to I can offer you is the one in the factory service manual. It won't cover how to install a Legacy tranny and rear end, but it'll get ou close enough, I would think.

Get yourself an ATV/motorcycle jack for lifting/lowering trannies. I paid $80 for mine and it was nothing short of a life-saver. It lays much flatter than a regular jack with tranny adapter and has a very wide base so it's very steady. Pics are in my locker, under 'tranny replacement' or 'tranny swap' or whatever I called it.

Good luck, and by all means ask us if you have questions or get stuck. Better to wait a couple hours for a reply than break something expensive.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Thanx for all the info so far guys, i apprieciate it.
As far as my caliper smacking the wheel, i was told that when the tranny went, a few teeth from the front diff. broke off, and were forced through the remaining parts of the tranny destroying it.
as for the how to section, i looked through there again, and i dont think i saw specific instructions for every specific thing i need to do, like for example, how to pull the tranny itself.

And for those of you wondering how the tranny was destroyed in such a fashion that brutally, the boyfriend that lent me some of the money for the car, was using it every day for work, while i was out of work, he drove my car like a total maniac and beat the hell out of it while in all wheel, untill we experienced a problem with the AWD system, my mechanic told me to keep it in front wheel untill the AWD could be fixed, he continued to beat it, until he went and got himself a new car and left me with my car destroyed.