Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-14-2001, 12:36 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
tranny gauge installation

Ok, I need tot get the gauge into my compartment, and im hoping for a non invasive way to do it. How is everyone mounting their gauges?

Anybody?

I really do no want to drill a hole to the drivers compartment, with my luck , i'll hit the breake line
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 08-14-2001, 10:50 AM
CGLathrop

Guage Mount

I removed the ash try, and put it in the spot there. I have made plans to set up 2 sensors and use a switch to choose in or out temp, but no time to do the project.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:45 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
wheres the secret passage way :)

how did you get the wire from the engine bay into the ashtray?
Old 08-15-2001, 04:58 AM
CGLathrop

Wire run..

you can run the wire two ways. One is to use the hole where the water that condenses from the Air Cond goes out (Small white tube through a grommet). Its on the passanger side. KInda tuff to get the wire through. The other is to run it out the drivers side door and up the front fender (on the inside). If you open your door, you will see there is a gap ibetween the outside of the fender and the side closest to the engine compartment. at first you think.. no problem...lots of room. But its a little bit harder then that. I used two old coat hangers to fish the wire through. Of course you can see the wire every time you open the door, but it still works.

I suppose you could also just run it out the sunroof and down the hood, then in the grill... tell everyone its a special radio antenna.

Good luck.
Chris
Old 08-15-2001, 09:33 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Thanks chris, the driver side hole worked like a charm, wasnt sure where the wire went after sticking it into the AC grommet, so used the other way.

Right now I have the power connected to the ?tel? jumper as a
temporary fix. I bet ill wake up one day and find my battery dead, as my tranny gauge is always on.

I looked all over and am not sure where I can connect the power of the gauge so that its only on when the car starts?

Same with the light connecter. I am not sure which connector the tranny gauge light should go in order to have it turn on with my headlights?

Anybody?
Old 08-16-2001, 05:01 AM
CGLathrop

power hook up

I used a plug that goes in the cig lighter for a temp installation.. of course finding time to hook it up correctly is the hard part. Mine is an electrical guage I bought through JC Whitney, and its digital. I have noticed one little problem. If I turn on the head lights, the temp will go up about 5 degrees. and if I turn on the AC it will go up about 25 degrees. Even just turning the fan on will cause the temp to read higher. No doubt that their is just too much draw of current/voltage/whatever... so the temp guage is sensing less voltage going through the sensor and is assuming hotter tranny fluid. I plan to fix this by doing the wire mod for the altenator and battery... again .. when I find the time. Hopefully that will fix it. If not.. then I will probably run a piece of hevey duty wiring straight from the battery, through a relay, and to the guage.

Hope any of this helps...

Chris