How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2001, 04:08 AM
Jedi Member

Tranny update

Hello guys, this is just an update on my transmission's condition since it became fried about a month ago now.

I got it fixed at a local and highly trusted import auto shop for 2900. That came with the Subaru Reman Tranny and everything else. It was done in a day. As soon as the new tranny came in they swapped it out and I was good to go. Sadly I have not driven it yet as my parents have determined I am not worthy to drive the SVX. As a matter of fact, I just cleaned up a spill created by the "empty" Coke can that was left in "my" car. And yes, I am moving out of the house to become a Computer Science and Engineering major on Sunday.

Fare thee well my friends!
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 08-04-2001, 12:13 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Tranny update

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
Hello guys, this is just an update on my transmission's condition since it became fried about a month ago now.

I got it fixed at a local and highly trusted import auto shop for 2900. That came with the Subaru Reman Tranny and everything else. It was done in a day. As soon as the new tranny came in they swapped it out and I was good to go. Sadly I have not driven it yet as my parents have determined I am not worthy to drive the SVX. As a matter of fact, I just cleaned up a spill created by the "empty" Coke can that was left in "my" car. And yes, I am moving out of the house to become a Computer Science and Engineering major on Sunday.

Fare thee well my friends!
Whaddaya mean "fare thee well?" A) Just cuz you're gonna go off and be "Joe College" doesn't mean you have to diss us undereducated old farts. B) Just cuz you aint drivin' an SVX doesn't mean you aint welcome (Hell, look at James -- he's one of us and never owned one! Damn, I hope he doesn't get snooty once he finally has one ) So, don't go away! Keep us posted. And good luck at school -- hit those books and make us proud.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-12-2001, 08:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Me get snooty when I (finally) obtain an SVX? (at about roughly the same time that winged pigs dodge the snowballs falling in hell!)

Not at all!! The fact that I would have fender flags with my image on them flying the wind as I drove along in my motorcade, my mirrored glasses reflecting the lesser peasants that I had to drive through, won't be an indication at all on my snootyness!!!

Randy is right...you can't leave!!! And if the club can tolerate me putting up pictures of demonised canary's to torment poor Randy, then I think that any and all are welcome, SVX owner or not!!

Jamsvx

- putting more birdseed out to catch these Mephistopelean Manifestations!-

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 08-13-2001, 05:12 AM
Jedi Member

I suppose that no one can really leave the club, unless there's some expiration date on memberships or something. :-) Even if I can't drive I can still stare googily eyed at all the SVX's in town and pretend that they're all mine. (I talked to another owner, and yes my svx.net cards were nowhere to be found, and the total number of SVX's in town comes to 6! This is for a small mountain community of less than 50,000 people! Am I lucky or what?) ;-)
Old 08-17-2001, 10:16 AM
Lowered SVX

is the car your parents or yours....?

why can you not take the car with you to college.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-17-2001, 02:09 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: is the car your parents or yours....?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
why can you not take the car with you to college.
Not only that...you just shelled out $2900 for the tranny....man would I ever feel gipped if I couldn't drive it after that.

On a second note...there are quite a few computer geeks on here...so leaving the club is not an option.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-19-2001, 10:24 PM
Jedi Member

Well... here's the thing, the car is in my parents name but is, for all intensive purposes, mine. They've decided to let me use it for college now but at the same time I am now on my own. I am living in a rented house with my best friend and I am going to work my ass off at both college and my job, lifeguarding for the City of Flagstaff. Cool, now I can say that I had to "work through college." but at the same time I feel down because my parents did "kick me out of the house."
Old 08-20-2001, 08:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Well... here's the thing, the car is in my parents name but is, for all intensive purposes, mine. They've decided to let me use it for college now but at the same time I am now on my own. I am living in a rented house with my best friend and I am going to work my ass off at both college and my job, lifeguarding for the City of Flagstaff. Cool, now I can say that I had to "work through college." but at the same time I feel down because my parents did "kick me out of the house."
Don't be too down. I was "kicked out" at 17 (actually, given the option of living in a trailer with my mom and her "new" husband, or moving into an apartment on my own. -- DUH!). Keep focused on school -- it'll pay big dividends in the long run. (But not so focused that you don't keep us up to date)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-20-2001, 08:43 AM

Yeah I was out at 17 as well....not really forced....but tired of living at home.

It was fun up until the basement suite I was in was enforced for zone restrictions, and I lost my stove. You don't know how upsetting it is having to cook every meal out of a microwave for 6 months.

BTW what are you taking in school?

Ryan

Old 08-21-2001, 09:44 PM
Jedi Member

Next week I start Honors English, Frosh Chem, Honors Intro into Programming (I'm a Computer Science/Engineering major) and Calc II. I was lucky to get a 4 on my AP test (I better have gotten a 4, I took the class twice!) so I don't have to do Calc I. BTW, I just found out that my valve heads are what's been causing the engine to create plumes of smoke, $200 to fix in a day. Sound good?
Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Valve heads? You mean the gaskets or the actual valves?

VK

Quote:
Next week I start Honors English, Frosh Chem, Honors Intro into Programming (I'm a Computer Science/Engineering major) and Calc II. I was lucky to get a 4 on my AP test (I better have gotten a 4, I took the class twice!) so I don't have to do Calc I. BTW, I just found out that my valve heads are what's been causing the engine to create plumes of smoke, $200 to fix in a day. Sound good?
Old 08-21-2001, 11:47 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean your valve cover gaskets. I suppose that's a pretty good price, especially if includes the gaskets AND labor.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-22-2001, 10:31 AM
The Road Less Traveled

The reason I asked is if it's the gaskets, it could be a D-I-Y-er.

Very tight, it helps to have small hands, and definitely helps to have a ratcheting wrench. Parts for the gasket is not very expensive.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I'm guessing you mean your valve cover gaskets. I suppose that's a pretty good price, especially if includes the gaskets AND labor.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:28 PM
Jedi Member

Oh yes, it's just the gaskets. The parts haven't come in yet, one isn't available in the US. That price includes labor and from what I heard, the valve gaskets are a pain in the ass because it's so tight in the engine compartment. I remember them saying something about taking the engine out or something although I could be wrong. They also just found a bad high pressure power steering line and that'll cost about 180 labor included. I also went to a collision shop and they are going to look at why my hood dosen't close all the way. The guy said he might be able to fix it for 80 or so as long as there was no major damage. (apparently there was a front end collision of some sort by a previous owner) So, in the last two months,
New Tranny... $2900
New Valve Cover Gaskets... 200
New High Pressure Steering Hose... 180
Auto Body Tweaking... 80
New Rear Tires... 250
New College Textbooks... 300
Total Strife... $4110

Tell me again how I'm supposed to pay for both tuition AND this car???
Old 08-23-2001, 03:39 PM

Hehe sounds like me...since april:

timing belt $120
waterpump $65
access belts $30
rad hoses $20
tranny $3600
a/c recharge/leak fix $190
misc towing costs (ecu wierd fuse problem, tranny) $290
pulley $150
timing belt cover due to pulley $90
spark plugs $35
belts due to pullet $30
rotors $220
brake pads all around $90

Total $4930

This doesn't include the $300 or so for new front axles...which I need desparately, or the new tires that I need as well. Good thing I do all my own labor or I would really be looking at big money.

Guess my $750 SVX isn't so cheap anymore....

Sheesh being 21 with this car isn't a good combination.

Ryan