Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-01-2002, 08:59 PM

climate control

Is there something wrong with my climate control. As I adjust the temperature up or down the direction of the air changes as it should...higher temp at your feet, lower temp at your face. But my car must think its always 70 degrees inside no matter what the temp. is. When I set it at 70 degrees it almost stops blowing which makes me think, the car thinks its at that temp. Now it was 31 degrees outside today, I set the temp at 70 and it stopped blowing, then I set it at 68 and it started blowing at my face at the outside temp. just like I had turned on the vent. It didn't blow at 68 degrees it blew at 31 degrees. Shouldn't it blow out air at the the temp set or at least warmer or cooler air to get the car at the desired temperature.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 12-01-2002, 09:38 PM
Green1995SVX

You might want to try and see if the climate control system is throwing any codes.

With the ignition off, pess and hold the OFF and AUTO buttons and hold them while turning the ignition on. This will start the diagnostic program in the climate control. If there are any faults in the system, a code will be displayed on the Climate control LCD screen. Here is a list of the codes:

11/21 = In-vehicle sensor.........open/shorted

12/22 = Ambient sensor............open/shorted

13/23 = Sunload sensor............open/shorted

14/24 = Evaporator sensor.........open/shorted

15/25 = Refrigerant temp sensor...open/shorted

16/26 = Water temp sensor.........open/shorted

31 = Air mix door (PBR)........faulty

32 = Mode door (PBR)...........faulty

33 = Mix door motor............faulty engine

34 = Mode door motor...........faulty engine

35 = Intake door motor.........faulty engine

Good luck.

Mike
Old 12-01-2002, 10:39 PM
FifthElement

I have a hard time believing that it was blowing 31 degree air. It most likely just felt that cold to you. Unless you're gonna tell me that with your air on, you could see your breath in the car. You're not gonna tell me that, are you?
Old 12-03-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: climate control

Quote:
Originally posted by svxy
Is there something wrong with my climate control. As I adjust the temperature up or down the direction of the air changes as it should...higher temp at your feet, lower temp at your face. But my car must think its always 70 degrees inside no matter what the temp. is. When I set it at 70 degrees it almost stops blowing which makes me think, the car thinks its at that temp. Now it was 31 degrees outside today, I set the temp at 70 and it stopped blowing, then I set it at 68 and it started blowing at my face at the outside temp. just like I had turned on the vent. It didn't blow at 68 degrees it blew at 31 degrees. Shouldn't it blow out air at the the temp set or at least warmer or cooler air to get the car at the desired temperature.
That's the problem with "Climate Control Systems". Once you set a desired temperature, it reacts to the current conditions in the car and tries to meet your demands. Unlike the old days, when we used to turn the fan up or down and slide the temp controls back and forth, this system does it for you. (All the electronics in there will heat it near 70 inside) So when you set it to a lower temp, it responds by blowing in cooler outside air through the vents to get it to your desired level NOW. Then it will maintain the temp by blowing less warm air at different fan speeds, which it automatically varies, to meet demand.
This was supposed to be a luxury car so it has these "luxury" features. It was intended to be a "Set it and forget it" system. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of the old days!

So, NO there isn't anything wrong with it. It sounds likes it is working as designed!
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder

Last edited by cbx-man; 12-03-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:29 PM
clarkerussell

Here were my codes

OK, so I ran the Diagnostics, and my LED flashed 13 and 35... What does everyone else get?
Old 12-03-2002, 03:37 PM
cjoffe

Re: Here were my codes

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, so I ran the Diagnostics, and my LED flashed 13 and 35... What does everyone else get?
I got 00.

Since it seems to work fine, I'll take that as good.

CJ
Old 12-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Green1995SVX

If you did the diagnostic in a dark area, like a garage, or at night, 13 is normal. 35 is not... It looks like one of the doors is sticking.

Mike
Old 12-03-2002, 10:24 PM
AbdominalSnoman

12, 13, and 34 for me, but I knew about 34 when I bought the car. It only blows out the dash vents. 12 happened when I was in a wreck and the person doing the repairs (not a body shop but an aquaintance) balked at paying the $80 for the sensor which I didn't blame them for. 13 I assume was on because it was pitch black dark when I checked it.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:39 AM

Have you figured out error 35, mine has the same, not to mention 13. By the way, thank you very much for that, it was so very helpful. Once again I feel...I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy
04 VW Beetle GLS