Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 08:25 PM
SVXTEX

the infamous brake chatter question....

I recently bought one of my dream cars- 1994 Subaru SVX-2wd. I lucked out because my friend had bought it new and babied it...I fianally wore him down to sell it to me....Despite the little querks that develope- I still enjoy taking it out and getting looks everywhere I go in it. This "chattering" is getting me looks like "is that thing going to fall apart" rather than "whoa, that is a cool car".....

I have seen it mentioned in the forum, but have yet to find a way to stop it. When I drive my SVX on textured roads, the chatter makes me want to drive off into a ditch. Would replacing the calipers stop this? I replaced the pads not too long ago-and yes, I re-installed the shims...but the rattling is still there. At first I was just assuming that since my car has 82k miles on it- the struts were going out....but then I reallized that the noise went away when I hit the brakes. I have contacted the local autoparts store and as soon as I mention that I have an SVX, the immediately tell me to go to the dealer. Any other suggestions-online even as to where I can get a new set of calipers-if in fact that is what is making that horrible noise? Also, has anyone had any luck with slotted and drilled rotors for a daily driver?

Last edited by SVXTEX; 11-26-2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:49 PM

I don't think I have an answer, but I would like a to give you a question that might help others give you an answer.

You say the noise goes away if you put on the brakes. But you seem to question the brake rotors. I believe that if putting on the brakes means the chatter stops, then it is not the brakes you need repaired.

It might be struts or it might be another suspension piece like balljoints or tie rod ends or ???. Somebody else will have to help.

If I read what you said wrong please let me know. I have done front brakes and can maybe help there.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:57 PM
SVXTEX

i took it to Midas to have them look it over..

and the best they could tell me is that the noise is coming from play between the calipers and the brake pads...when the wheel is off of the ground-you can tap the tire and hear the pads rattling....all the tie rods have been checked, the sway bars have been checkes and the struts are good.....any recommendations on where to get a new set of calipers?

the slotted and drilled rotors were a seperate question...just thinking, since i am replacing the calipers, why not just go all out for the whole 9 yards.....

Not shooting down your response- I appreciate any feedback I can get....just kind of annoyed with this rattling noise....
Old 11-26-2002, 09:07 PM

OK, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I suggest you wait a little longer for others to read and post.

I believe there is a product that you spray or wipe on the pads that is sticky, which causes the pads to stay in contact with the caliper and not rattle against the rotor. I don't think changing to a drilled/slotted rotor would help you one way or the other except in cosmetics or braking ability (but not noise).

While you wait, do a search on brakes and see if you can turn up a product recommendation - I know I have seen this discussed before - I hope it was on this site.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The stuff you spray on the back of the pads is sticky, so much so that it usually tears a hole in the caliper boot the next time you remove the pads. I/we refuse to use it, especially since it doesn't seem to have any other 'beneficial' properties.

If the pads are rattling you're probably missing some of the brake hardware (number 10 here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Beav/5272.gif.) I'm not sure if a hardware kit is available aftermarket but the pieces should be available from the dealer.

If the noise is coming from the caliper to bracket area that means the lock pin boots and/or sleeves are worn and allowing the caliper to rattle (numbers 5&6 here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Beav/5272.gif) or the entire caliper could be loose, but we'll assume the Midas boys would have noticed that. If you replace the boots make sure that there isn't any rust built up in the caliper bore that they pass through. That will cause the hole to swell (smaller inner diameter) and the lock pins to bind in the new boots. Also check the holes for being worn out/enlarged, replacemnet calipers will be needed if this is the case.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:27 AM
SVXTEX

I THINK I GET IT....

Just for the record:

It was rattling before I replaced the original pads.....and I did reinstall all the shims(no left-overs)...but I did notice that the boots that are around the piston were worn....I think I will just play it safe and replace the whole caliper assembly. Any suggestions other than the dealership as to where to get them at a reasonable price? Also, since I will be putting new ones on, know where I can get some bright red caliper paint?

I want to put the slotted drilled rotors on, mainly for looks and performance, but I want to make sure they are good for daily driving...I have heard that cross-drilled rotors have a tendencey to warp and even crack under daily driving conditions- any input?
Old 11-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've never seen a drilled rotor that didn't eventually crack, but it doesn't happen overnight. The slots seem to work best in the rain, otherwise the only difference I've noticed is the snow tire type noise when stopping. Hopefully that'll subside in the next 20-30,000 miles... One more reason that I didn't opt for drilled rotors was that it does remove a significant portion of the 'swept area' of the rotor. Seeing how the additional cooling supposedly provided by the drilling isn't as important to me as the ability to stop quicker, I just went with the slots. To each their own...