Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Professionally restored and modified headlights

My headlights polished with the 3M kit and protected with clear film look incredible after 18 months out in the weather.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Pew Pew!

Looks like Will is about to get some of my business. Just bought a set of JDM headlights that "looked" really good in photos, but ended up being kinda crummy. They also came, complete, with small piles of glass dust in each one, so I'll be doing the STI-R projector lenses, too.

I know his business volume might be different, this year, but what was you guy's turnaround time for your restorations? I'll be getting pretty much the same services, but won't be doing the Halos.

So glad I found this thread. The work I've seen in the photos looks incredible! I can't wait to see what citylights look like through crystal clear lenses.
1995 LSi, EPM, #1152, 197k(ish) miles, 5-speed
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 AM

Registered SVX

Buying things without being able to see them sure has its downside.

Will did the job on my headlights (w/halos) fairly quickly. I was surprised. Most of the time they were out was spent in transit.

I know you're not interested in halos, but I have to add that I appreciate them much more now that I have them. I did not set them up separately from the projectors. I'd wanted to, thinking they'd be nice daytime running lights. I'd only seen a couple of them where I live out here in the sticks so I thought they'd be unique. Then, as soon as I ordered them, I was disappointed to see them on everything from old pickups to fully decked out ricers. They suddenly looked too blingy for how I wanted my SVX to be. So, I wired them along with the projectors- which was easier anyway. It turns out that they look really cool in the daytime. The halos have become a somewhat subtle daytime driving light as the full power of the projectors doesn't seem to stand out in the daylight. And I just push the high low dimmer button so I can still see the dash lights in the daytime. Sometimes things just work out better when they don't go as intended, I suppose.

Good luck with your headlights. I think you'll be happy with Will's work.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

CP, your headlights look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
So, I wired them along with the projectors- which was easier anyway. It turns out that they look really cool in the daytime. The halos have become a somewhat subtle daytime driving light as the full power of the projectors doesn't seem to stand out in the daylight. And I just push the high low dimmer button so I can still see the dash lights in the daytime. Sometimes things just work out better when they don't go as intended, I suppose.
Do you have daytime photos of your head lights? Curious to see how your lights look with halos.

I have redone my headlights a few times over the years (sanding, polish, spraying clear, etc) but no matter what I did, a slight tinge of yellow always haunted me. So about a year or so ago, I replaced the plastic lens with the glass version. Solved a lot of my concerns but the project replacement might still be a good idea.

My Forester headlights probably need Will's touch. They are okay but could be much better (they apparently have condensation problems and I'd like some LEDs installed in the "eyebrow" section).

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by cozykat; 12-31-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM

Registered SVX

Okay, this old pic doesn't show what I was talking about so it probably won't help you much. Too much reflection on the lenses that doesn't show so readily with the naked eye. I'll have to try it later this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVXFront.jpg (149.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
So about a year or so ago, I replaced the plastic lens with the glass version.
Hello San Antonio !

Are the glass ones for US market? Or did you get them from Europe?

Part number(s)?

Happy New Year and kind regards from Finland,

Tapani
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Registered SVX

These are a little better. I was hoping to wash the car before pics but it was snowing.

There's still some glare from the projectors on the lenses that shows up much more in pictures than it does to the naked eye. What stands out, to my eye anyway, is the sharp contrast of the halos. The light from the halos is sharper to the naked eye. At night, the halos don't show because of the brightness and diffusion of light from the projectors.

I suppose that, with better camera equipment, you'd get a better idea of what it looks like. Still, I hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halo.jpg (372.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg halo2.jpg (195.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Hello San Antonio !

Are the glass ones for US market? Or did you get them from Europe?

Part number(s)?

Happy New Year and kind regards from Finland,

Tapani
Happy new year to you too.

My understanding is that the glass head lights were only available in Germany. So you have to know someone who know someone. I was lucky enough to buy them from Geoff (he is in Houston and he knew someone who knew someone) when he was selling all his SVX goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
These are a little better. I was hoping to wash the car before pics but it was snowing.

There's still some glare from the projectors on the lenses that shows up much more in pictures than it does to the naked eye. What stands out, to my eye anyway, is the sharp contrast of the halos. The light from the halos is sharper to the naked eye. At night, the halos don't show because of the brightness and diffusion of light from the projectors.

I suppose that, with better camera equipment, you'd get a better idea of what it looks like. Still, I hope that helps!
Thanks for the pictures! I think I see what you are talking about. The subtle look of the halo looks nice.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Glass headlights are standard on adm svx's
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
Glass headlights are standard on adm svx's
Getting Australian glass headlights probably would have been much easier!

But I think my concern with getting Australian headlights was the beam pattern since you drive in the left-hand lanes - where Germany drives in the right-hand lanes like the US.
I may eventually attempt to get just Australian lens to compare the glass patterns to ensure both could be used.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 AM

Anybody got adm headlights for sale?
regards
DonMac (NZ)
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 AM

I'll take some pics of the lenses for you, I'm pretty sure you could just take off the beam pattern/projector and swap them over
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive