Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX
rotors and pads, recommendations?

i think it's high time to replace my brakes. all of them. the sube shop i go to will replace front or back brakes for $139 - that's pads, rotors, and labor. $278 for all 4. it's not a horrible price, but i'm pretty sure i can install brakes myself. anyone have any suggestions for relatively cheap, yet decent brakes? as long as it's original equipment quality, i'll be satisfied. i want drop in replacements.

and yes, i am aware of OT's brakes, that's a future purchase
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.

Last edited by B 4 You; 05-27-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM

Re: brakes and pads, recommendations?

Install of new pads is one bolt per caliper past removing your rims. Seriously its that easy. Might want to grease the sliders while your at it, but not a huge need.

Make sure you get GOOD brake pads. Cheap organic pads often have no grip cold, hot, wet or dry. Oh and they fade/outgas like crazy.

I got the performance friction front pads as they were the cheapest of the ones I could get local and KNEW wouldn't suck. I need to bleed them, but certainly have plenty of bite.

If I was doing all 4 I think I might order up some EBC pads since thier black pads are among the cheapest avalible, and the fronts are not too bad. Forgot which versions they had avalible for the front though.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

See here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57186

And here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57089

My recommendations in those threads still stand.

And yes, brakes are easy to replace. The only part of the brake system that I really hate is bleeding brake fluid. Not fun, takes forever, and you need a buddy who will also complain the whole time. Pads and rotors, however, are cake. Get some of that gooey stuff that's supposed to go on the backs of the pads too.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-27-2011, 11:54 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
See here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57186

And here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57089

My recommendations in those threads still stand.

And yes, brakes are easy to replace. The only part of the brake system that I really hate is bleeding brake fluid. Not fun, takes forever, and you need a buddy who will also complain the whole time. Pads and rotors, however, are cake. Get some of that gooey stuff that's supposed to go on the backs of the pads too.
i like the ctek premium pads, and the R1 Concepts (Eline Stock OEQ) rotors. my wallet likes those too. should those be good then?

i helped my girlfriend's dad replace brakes on a ford fusion today, and it was so much easier than i thought. i was able to do it after watching her dad do it once, so i definitely think i'll save some cash by doing it myself.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I just put some centric rotors from rockauto on the fronts last weekend and They work way better than the eBay drilled and sloted crap the previous owner had on there.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin View Post
I just put some centric rotors from rockauto on the fronts last weekend and They work way better than the eBay drilled and sloted crap the previous owner had on there.
Did you get the cryo treated ones? I have the cryos on the Tribeca and, so far, so good. I won't know how they hold up to warping until I put a few more years on them. Centric sells cryo treated and slotted through their "Power Slot" line. That is what I am getting when I need to change my rotors. Centric seems to really know their material science.

Pads are where it seems to get fuzzy. A lot of people like straight ceramic due to the hot stopping power and lack of dust. But carbon-metallic pads have better overall stopping power, cold or hot, and the dust is better than organic but not as good as ceramic. And then there are Kevlar composite pads. Kevlar is light and strong but it is a plastic and I don't think it conducts heat particularly well. Carbon is a great heat conductor so, theoretically, they should be the best for avoiding rotor warping. For me, I am more worried about life expectancy than brake fade or other stopping issues. Frankly, I don't drive hard enough to care about stopping power. I want my rotors to last and not warp. I don't know if carbon-metallic pads will wear the rotors faster but they should help keep them from warping.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

i just got the regular rotors this time. i've used their premium rotors on my 2005 outback xt and my mom's 2001 outback and they have been great

in case you didn't know centric also sells under this little know brand called stoptech
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have used Performance Friction metallic pads in combination with Applied Rotor Technologies Cryogenic rotors and like them a lot. Low dust and quiet.

I'm pretty sure ART makes Centric cryo rotors. Currently have ART rotors with Centric metal mads and they squeak a lot plus leave a lot of very black dust.

If you want cheap NAPA pads are lifetime guaranteed. Buy them once and just keep getting replacements. They have all quality levels.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.