Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Product and Service Reviews > Service Shop Reviews

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: West Virginia SVX Master Tech

This thread stretches over like three years guys.

I like that.

Nice to see the good things in life remain constant. Tom and Di, Happy New Year, belated, a little.

I've been having software and hardware problems, and please, no puns about that.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to thickasxthieves
Registered SVX

I just returned this morning from a weekend at tom's. Tom did alot of work to cure all my svx's oil and power steering leaks (valve cover gaskets, cam seals, leaks from the back inspection plate, lots of leaky power steering hoses, resealed the oil pan....i had a very leaky car needless to say.) in doing so we yanked the motor out and he discovered an inopertave iris valve, clogged pcv valve, broken bolt holding trans to motor(that was fun), worked out an intermittent starter issue id had(due to sloppy install from perwson unkown before i bought the car) and then we also did water pump, timing belt, solid motor mounts from a forester(first?) spark plugs, phenolic spacers, lightweight crank pulley..... basically everything you could possibly do besides head gaskets, for an incredibly low price.

I'd just like to say that tom is masterful, knowledgeable, and wholly capable mechanic. not only did he identify issues with my car i was unaware of, he did a tps adjustment on the car after all the work had been completed. the car is running better than it ever has, so much less vibration on start and at speed, engine just sounds better. and its faster before at 3000 rpm my speed would be 85 mph, now it does 90 at slightly less than 3000rpm. Tom and diana were nice enough to put me up for two nights and feed me delicious ravioli Not only that but on the way home last night a ground wire managed to work itself loose and the car shutoff on me right near hagerstown. I called tom and i couldnt identify the problem even with his guidance over the phone. So he drove out over an hour, again let me say. HE DROVE OUT OVER AN HOUR to my broken down car at 2 in the morning, identified the loose ground wire and had the car back running in less than 2 minutes. Tom is a talented, kind, generous person and i just wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you to him for treating me and my car so well. I know i will be returning to him if ever my car has another problem, and most definitely for a custom exhaust. Cant reccommend or praise his work enough.

Thanks Tom!!
Stage 2 ECUTune chip, 370cc injectors, ECUTune valve body and TCU, solid rubber motor mounts from a forester, outlaw phenolic spacers, COBBTuning lightweight blue crank pulley, Bontragerworks 22mm rear sway bar & endlinks, StrongFlex poly front sway bar bushings, Powergrid adjustable front sway bar endlinks, 17" MOMO CORSE RPM wheels w/ Toyo Proxes4 225/45, drilled/slotted rotors f/r, stainless lines, ceramic pads, Blue silicone radiator hoses, power mode switch, gold jdm hood badge, 20% tint all around, Hella optilux xtreme yellow fog bulbs

parts waiting to go on car: the rest of the strongflex polyurethane suspension bushing set
Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

OT is definitely one-of-a-kind (now, how Di puts up with him....)

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickasxthieves View Post
I just returned this morning from a weekend at tom's. Tom did alot of work to cure all my svx's oil and power steering leaks (valve cover gaskets, cam seals, leaks from the back inspection plate, lots of leaky power steering hoses, resealed the oil pan....i had a very leaky car needless to say.) in doing so we yanked the motor out and he discovered an inopertave iris valve, clogged pcv valve, broken bolt holding trans to motor(that was fun), worked out an intermittent starter issue id had(due to sloppy install from perwson unkown before i bought the car) and then we also did water pump, timing belt, solid motor mounts from a forester(first?) spark plugs, phenolic spacers, lightweight crank pulley..... basically everything you could possibly do besides head gaskets, for an incredibly low price.

I'd just like to say that tom is masterful, knowledgeable, and wholly capable mechanic. not only did he identify issues with my car i was unaware of, he did a tps adjustment on the car after all the work had been completed. the car is running better than it ever has, so much less vibration on start and at speed, engine just sounds better. and its faster before at 3000 rpm my speed would be 85 mph, now it does 90 at slightly less than 3000rpm. Tom and diana were nice enough to put me up for two nights and feed me delicious ravioli Not only that but on the way home last night a ground wire managed to work itself loose and the car shutoff on me right near hagerstown. I called tom and i couldnt identify the problem even with his guidance over the phone. So he drove out over an hour, again let me say. HE DROVE OUT OVER AN HOUR to my broken down car at 2 in the morning, identified the loose ground wire and had the car back running in less than 2 minutes. Tom is a talented, kind, generous person and i just wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you to him for treating me and my car so well. I know i will be returning to him if ever my car has another problem, and most definitely for a custom exhaust. Cant reccommend or praise his work enough.

Thanks Tom!!

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-11-2010, 07:12 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

yes I am thinking about an 8-hour road trip to get a tranny swap from OT and a few other things, once I get some time and money.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Went down to SVXFiles garage in WV for some work on my SVX. (Solenoid C and exhaust work) The SVX now sounds and drives better than it has in a long, long time. I really can't say enough about how talented Tom is with these cars and how lucky I feel to live with in a few hours drive of his shop. There is no one I trust more to work on my SVX.

Thanks again Tom
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: