IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: First SVX purchase on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
How can I find out if Ohio is like that... the rust law??

Keith
Ohio is not like that. Ohio has absolutely no safety inspection at all. My low mileage SVX from cleveland is very rusty. At 40,000 miles it had holes in the doors and rear quarter panels. I had to have the rusty parts cut out and new metal welded in. In my maintenance records, i see that the fuel lines rusted out at 20,000 miles!
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 PM

I ended up paying the full 2K for it, and he ended up throwing some back for gassing up and the small exhaust leak that he didn't mention in the craigslist ad :P . It feels and looks a bit old, but it's like one of those 60 year olds who run marathons and have 6 pack abs. It was consistant for the 300 mile trip back home, no suprises.

The transmission does not slip at all, but it does seem a bit "tight"....though i can't complain, it shifts like a champ. And for 229K the engine idles smooth and doesn't feel tired at all. No engine problems at all from how it behaved. The belts are all very new, but there are some leaves and debris under the intake manifold.

Interior is in very good shape except for some driver seat tearing and a few leather stitches missing where the glove box closes up top, nothing a little thread and a few minutes can't fix.

It's very clean, but the doors are scary rusty. There are black duct tape "racing stripes" across the door to hide the line of rust that travels the length of it. So I will be picking up doors ASAP.

It handles amazingly, no play or slop anywhere, and the tires have good tread left on them and are not crap tires, as far as I can tell.

I'm hooked. I never want to drive anything else.
So. Who here has previously owned my new baby? There's an SVXWN sticker on each passenger window and they look like they've been there a while.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Post up your VIN and any other details about the car, that might help.

Also, don't forget to get it registered in the appropriate forum...HERE

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
I ended up paying the full 2K for it, and he ended up throwing some back for gassing up and the small exhaust leak that he didn't mention in the craigslist ad :P . It feels and looks a bit old, but it's like one of those 60 year olds who run marathons and have 6 pack abs. It was consistant for the 300 mile trip back home, no suprises.

The transmission does not slip at all, but it does seem a bit "tight"....though i can't complain, it shifts like a champ. And for 229K the engine idles smooth and doesn't feel tired at all. No engine problems at all from how it behaved. The belts are all very new, but there are some leaves and debris under the intake manifold.

Interior is in very good shape except for some driver seat tearing and a few leather stitches missing where the glove box closes up top, nothing a little thread and a few minutes can't fix.

It's very clean, but the doors are scary rusty. There are black duct tape "racing stripes" across the door to hide the line of rust that travels the length of it. So I will be picking up doors ASAP.

It handles amazingly, no play or slop anywhere, and the tires have good tread left on them and are not crap tires, as far as I can tell.

I'm hooked. I never want to drive anything else.
So. Who here has previously owned my new baby? There's an SVXWN sticker on each passenger window and they look like they've been there a while.
Congratulations on getting your car! It sounds from your description like it will give you great service. From your description of the handling and driving it sounds tight, that's good news.

However, just for the sake of caution, use the first couple of months with the car as a "check it out" period. Remember the age of the car and the mileage. Do everything in the check sheet linked above [What to Look For].

While you are putting up miles, check the oil periodically. It may use a little due to high miles on the engine, that would be normal.

Certain oil leaks happen on the SVX, usually nothing serious. One is the seals around the cam covers. At high miles it can also be necessary to replace front crankshaft seals etc when doing a belt replacement. If it's been done already you won't notice a leak.

Another leak source is the steering rack connections, generally easy to fix also but can be scary if the high pressure line goes bad.

Common also is the O ring seal between the steering pump reservoir and the pump. If it's old, compressed and leaking you will see oil on top of the block and the steering will make strange noises from aeration. Dead easy to fix and costs pennies.

I'm not trying to put you off, these are just wear related items and some are typical things to leak and give you a scare.

Enjoy your baby.

Joe

[BTW, if I had your driver seat tears I would be looking out for a good seat from a breakers' yard anywhere in the States. You don't need to ship the whole seat [unless your frame or electric motors are gone]. It's an easy job to get off the seat covers and a lot lighter for shipping. Buy seat covers with no tears or wear marks]
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl