Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Put away now...

SVX now in garage for the duration. I remember some years ago a pal asking me to get him home from hospital when heavy snow was causing mayhem, and he couldn't bear another night in the place. In conversation I had mentioned I had a 4 wheel drive some months beforehand.
I wish, with 20/20 hindsight, I had explained it was an Audi Quattro Turbo UR model, complete with Yoko A008's if my memory serves me right. We managed to get him home OK, just, but it soon dawned on me that whilst you can go OK with 4wd you can't stop any better.....
Do you guys use your SVX all year round?

If not I have a great choice of VOLVO's available now! Actually, very, very available - just ask the wife...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Put away now...

My SVX does year round duty, but hopefully this will be the last time. It's an epic winter car, but I'm sick of the salt making a mess of it. I'm hoping to fix the body/rust and paint it this summer. After that...No more winters. Must find a Justy...Or Brat.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

My SVX goes year round but I try not to drive it when the roads are real slushy and SALTY. I take my wife's Legacy on those days. The SVX handles real nice in the snow, better than the Legacy but I don't like all the salt. I have a 280ZX turbo as my summer car but I may sell that in the spring and turn the SVX into my summer-only car. Although I like the 280ZX, I think I like the SVX more.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 PM

My brother used to live near Toronto, albeit a fair few years ago. He and his pals had winter cars and I don't know whether its the same now but they only had a tech inspection when sold. His pal had a lovely grey Pontiac, 2 speed auto V8 and you could see the door cards from the outside! Big brother lent me and the then girlfriend (now wife) an Oldsmobile estate. I thought it felt a bit strange then discovered there was a 14" wheel one side, and a 15" the other...
Tell you how long ago this was the swine wouldnt allow us to sleep together!!! I think petrol was about 40 cents a gallon - is it still?
Having re-read above I must clarify the girlfriend was mine, not his btw.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Registered SVX

Bought my SVX in may 04, ran it through the winter, it was unbelievably good!....wasn't until some arse passed me on crap winter roads, flipped up a stone and chipped the windscreen

Now realizing how much new screens are and years of TLC, I now take it of the road in Oct and put it back on in April....it looks showroom condition, I can service or renovate with ease and it always feels like a new car and you appreciate what this car is all about

John

the older I get, the faster I was
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji View Post
Bought my SVX in may 04, ran it through the winter, it was unbelievably good!....wasn't until some arse passed me on crap winter roads, flipped up a stone and chipped the windscreen

Now realizing how much new screens are and years of TLC, I now take it of the road in Oct and put it back on in April....it looks showroom condition, I can service or renovate with ease and it always feels like a new car and you appreciate what this car is all about

John
Hah John! Now I know why yours looks so good.

How's the form lad? Did you get the Futura electrics all sorted?

I was telling Steve I may change the Blackbird for a Triumph Tiger sometime, as soon as I get tired of scaring myself.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX

Aye Joe, has only been two months since it was moth balled and missing it already

The Fut is all sorted now, just need a decent set of tyres for the spring...Bridgestone me thinks?

electrics? needing sorting? on an Italian bike???. don't know what yer talking about Joe

The 'form' is fine just now, a day at a time as they say....

and you, all well in Maynooth?

John

Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Lightning fast response on this one.... Although tyres on bikes are very much a 'head thing' why not consider some Pirelli's? Italian bike and all that aside, personally I have never felt such feel from a front tyre, be it Diablo Corsa, Metzeler Racetec or the old Rennsports. The new 'triple compound' blurb's misleading (dual compound rear, softer still front, hence 'triple') but IMHO it works beautifully. Bridgestones to me mean grip, grip, grip, grip then on my arse. Give Pirelli's a whirl, they are less expensive too!
Merry Christmas, Steve.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Lightning fast response on this one.... Although tyres on bikes are very much a 'head thing' why not consider some Pirelli's? Italian bike and all that aside, personally I have never felt such feel from a front tyre, be it Diablo Corsa, Metzeler Racetec or the old Rennsports. The new 'triple compound' blurb's misleading (dual compound rear, softer still front, hence 'triple') but IMHO it works beautifully. Bridgestones to me mean grip, grip, grip, grip then on my arse. Give Pirelli's a whirl, they are less expensive too!
Merry Christmas, Steve.
ARSE!.....I've been on that too many times to do it again, will look into your advise come spring, for now it'll be chestnuts roasting on an open fire and a fine malt to go with it!

A Merry Xmas and sober New Year to all.

John

Old 12-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji View Post
Aye Joe, has only been two months since it was moth balled and missing it already

The Fut is all sorted now, just need a decent set of tyres for the spring...Bridgestone me thinks?

electrics? needing sorting? on an Italian bike???. don't know what yer talking about Joe

The 'form' is fine just now, a day at a time as they say....

and you, all well in Maynooth?

John
John, sorry about the late reply, my system has been kaput for weeks.

We're all well here and I'm delighted to hear you are good.

Regards tyres I have currently a set of Bridgestones on the Blackbird, BT-021s I think [It's at me brother's house, I was planning to do some work on it but got busy ] and I find them superb, but I probably do not tax them to the same level Steve might do with his. When the Bridgestones are warmed up it's surprising how much power you can lay down in the wet while cranked over. Without losing the back. The outer rubber edge is good and sticky.

I value wet grip over dry racetrack grip. That's simply because every tour we ever took we got pi$$ed on somewhere or other, and it's good to be able to trust the tail in the wet if you have miles to go. But I like Pirellis too, I'd be happy with them either, great front end grip.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: