Threaded-I only read posts from people I like. 2 4.88%
Hybrid- Too many options are a GOOD thing! 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: How I see SVX World Network

If I may deposit my 2 cents into this discussion, do you guys remember what Ford did about 25 or so years ago, with the introduction of the 2nd generation Ford Mustang ?? How could a car company take something so perfect and turn it into something so horrid.....

I have always been a fan of japanese cars, for their legendary reliability and quality.... so until the Big 3 can crank out something that will do 250,000 miles and still not burn a drop of oil like my old Accord, I will continue to spend my money on the smart choice, patriotism cant give me a free tow home when my american made (Chrysler) engine throws a rod .

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I have always been a fan of japanese cars, for their legendary reliability and quality.... so until the Big 3 can crank out something that will do 250,000 miles and still not burn a drop of oil like my old Accord, I will continue to spend my money on the smart choice, patriotism cant give me a free tow home when my american made (Chrysler) engine throws a rod .
My Grand Prix I had was close, I sold it at 212k and never burned oil, smoked, etc. And I drove it like I stole it.

I also currently have a 2000 cavalier that I bought as a beater car and it has 178k and also does not burn or leak oil, shifts and runs great.

So don't say American made cars can't be reliable. Or maybe I'm just lucky, idk
Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM

Just a quick reply. Chris, the Mustang II was a real disaster. It was a hasty reaction to the oil crisis. Suddenly gas prices soared, and people were scrambling for stuff that didn't cost so much to run. Ford made a Mustang on a Pinto platform. It sold cars then, but they are eminently forgettable now.
Any car can be made to last for a long time if it is well maintained. But to maintain a car well, you have to care about it. I have often said that the worst cars seem to attract the worst drivers. That's because they don't care. The same is true of those people who drive what are called "recreational trucks." They don't really need a truck, they just like the image it gives them. I have no problem with people who drive trucks because they use them for their work, whatever that may be. I even succumbed to that at one point, and owned a truck for three years. I spent a lot of money getting it to be a decent vehicle, and when I was through, it still didn't handle, rode horribly, and sucked gas. I sold it and went back to cars. Nate, that's why your cars serve you so well. You take care of them. Driving a car like you stole it isn't going to hurt it so long as you change the oil, lube the suspension, and do whatever else is required to keep it running well. On my SVX, I'm still fixing things neglected by the second, third, and fourth owners, who didn't care. I'm the second owner of my Alfa, and I rescued it from a first owner who didn't care, and it is serving me well. My Australian Capri is the same way, the first owner was an actress who bought it because it was "cute" and didn't bother to take care of anything. At 111000 miles, it's serving me well also.
If the manufacturers make cars that their owners will want to take care of, the cars will survive. If the owners feel they are like an appliance, they will wind up in the scrap heap like worn out appliances.
I went on too long here.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

I think what you say is spot on Paul.

Not too long at all.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: How I see SVX World Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
Just a quick reply. Chris, the Mustang II was a real disaster. It was a hasty reaction to the oil crisis. Suddenly gas prices soared, and people were scrambling for stuff that didn't cost so much to run. Ford made a Mustang on a Pinto platform. It sold cars then, but they are eminently forgettable now.
Any car can be made to last for a long time if it is well maintained. But to maintain a car well, you have to care about it. I have often said that the worst cars seem to attract the worst drivers. That's because they don't care. The same is true of those people who drive what are called "recreational trucks." They don't really need a truck, they just like the image it gives them. I have no problem with people who drive trucks because they use them for their work, whatever that may be. I even succumbed to that at one point, and owned a truck for three years. I spent a lot of money getting it to be a decent vehicle, and when I was through, it still didn't handle, rode horribly, and sucked gas. I sold it and went back to cars. Nate, that's why your cars serve you so well. You take care of them. Driving a car like you stole it isn't going to hurt it so long as you change the oil, lube the suspension, and do whatever else is required to keep it running well. On my SVX, I'm still fixing things neglected by the second, third, and fourth owners, who didn't care. I'm the second owner of my Alfa, and I rescued it from a first owner who didn't care, and it is serving me well. My Australian Capri is the same way, the first owner was an actress who bought it because it was "cute" and didn't bother to take care of anything. At 111000 miles, it's serving me well also.
If the manufacturers make cars that their owners will want to take care of, the cars will survive. If the owners feel they are like an appliance, they will wind up in the scrap heap like worn out appliances.
I went on too long here.
Paul
Couldn't have been said better.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.