Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Re: I am getting SS headers made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
If you just want your exhaust replaced... then you wouldn't be talking about it in a thread about headers.
If they were reasonable cost and made the exhaust better in some measurable way, I would get headers, that is why I had them on the Mustang. Headers did help in a very measurable way on that car, they were long tubes and the stock manifolds on those cars were pitiful. Wasn't a fan of the reduced ground clearance though, I scraped those things on man hole covers that were slightly above the road surface the first few days I had them.

I still think stainless and mandrel bends are just for bragging unless it is a full race car that will see high RPMs very often. Just doesn't make sense for a street car.

I actually have had an offer from a friend of mine to make headers for my SVX, but I really don't see a point, the stock manifolds look great for a stock engine. He was looking under it when we were talking about dual exhaust and he said he could make some long tubes for it that would end after the transmission cross member.

He will be making some block hugger headers for my 1959 Rambler that is getting a Land Rover engine, not for performance, but because no stock manifolds will work.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
If they were reasonable cost and made the exhaust better in some measurable way, I would get headers, that is why I had them on the Mustang. Headers did help in a very measurable way on that car, they were long tubes and the stock manifolds on those cars were pitiful. Wasn't a fan of the reduced ground clearance though, I scraped those things on man hole covers that were slightly above the road surface the first few days I had them.

I still think stainless and mandrel bends are just for bragging unless it is a full race car that will see high RPMs very often. Just doesn't make sense for a street car.

I actually have had an offer from a friend of mine to make headers for my SVX, but I really don't see a point, the stock manifolds look great for a stock engine. He was looking under it when we were talking about dual exhaust and he said he could make some long tubes for it that would end after the transmission cross member.

He will be making some block hugger headers for my 1959 Rambler that is getting a Land Rover engine, not for performance, but because no stock manifolds will work.
Actually the stock manifolds are quite a restriction esp. to the dog leg exhaust ports. Their size is just simply too small as well. But you are correct in saying a street car doesn't really need them.

Tom
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM

A couple of days away from the forum and this thread has changed a bit. Not that it is a bad discussion or that I mind simple differences of opinion.
I personally don't have a problem with the functionality of aluminized Mig welded exhausts with crush bends. I did after all have that exhaust on my 74 Cuda and other than the crappy welds (they were pretty bad but it was the person who welded it) I was happy with it for what it was. It had the fit form and function that I was looking for at the time and didn't kill the wallet.

I thought about what I was wanting to do regarding the exhaust manifolds originally I had considered going to Grimm Speed for the PnP and Ceramic coating of the existing manifolds. It was a very viable option and cheaper.
However I chose to find a company that could make me what I wanted that would function just as well and provide me the quality and look I was after. I also was concerned about ground clearance if I changed them drastically or having excessive bends and restrictions that would be negative when compared to the stock. I am also not really chasing a specific sound for whatever exhaust set up I end up going to in the end I want it to be just as cleanly and tastefully done as what I intend to do with the rest of the car.
Sure the cost of doing this was higher than I would have liked it to be, but I still think I will be happy with the result. Plus since it is the first it is bound to be more expensive but I just didn't see other alternatives out there that got me what I wanted and I didn't feel like waiting around surfing the forum until someone else came up with another option easier, cheaper, and/or better.