How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Adjusting the shifter cable

Hi,
I just picked up a 97 LSi and the previous owner replaced the shifter cable.
The problem is that it needs some sort of adjustment. I can't start the car in P, so I have to play with the Shift Lock to get it into N to start it up. Also, I really have to push it into P when parking to get it locked in there so I'm able to take the key out. It seems like the length is off.
I can't seem to find a thread on how to get in there. (I never worked on an AT before).
Do I go in from the inside or from under the car?

Thanks,
-Kamil
Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Adjusting the shifter cable

it very well could be something internal in the tranny.
Disconnect the shift lever/cable connection AT the tranny by removing the cotter pin on tranny under the car to the passenger side. this will allow you to slide off the cable and see if it can shift smoothly from under the car at the lever on the tranny. if it shifts okay there, then the tranny is fine, meaning the cable is the problem, maybe need to just get a new OEM subaru cable or one off a junkyard car.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRANSMISSION__SERVICING___A.pdf (132.2 KB, 393 views)
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

It's adjusted from underneath the car and you have to remove the heat shield to get to it.

The question is whether the guy who installed the shift cable messed with the inhibitor switch adjustment too or not. You should start by making sure the inhibitor switch is adjusted correctly. There is a hole in the selector arm of the inhibitor switch which lines up with a hole in the selector arm of the transmission which lines up with a hole in the body of the inhibitor switch when the shifter is in N. A guide pin, hex key, something of the appropriate size should slide through all 3 at the same time. The inhibitor switch body is rotated on it's mounting bolts to make this adjustment.

If or after the inhibitor switch is adjusted correctly leave the guide pin in and then adjust the shift cable. I'd give the method that is in that doc just posted a try. It's very tempermental and wants to be just right.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
It's adjusted from underneath the car and you have to remove the heat shield to get to it.

The question is whether the guy who installed the shift cable messed with the inhibitor switch adjustment too or not. You should start by making sure the inhibitor switch is adjusted correctly. There is a hole in the selector arm of the inhibitor switch which lines up with a hole in the selector arm of the transmission which lines up with a hole in the body of the inhibitor switch when the shifter is in N. A guide pin, hex key, something of the appropriate size should slide through all 3 at the same time. The inhibitor switch body is rotated on it's mounting bolts to make this adjustment.

If or after the inhibitor switch is adjusted correctly leave the guide pin in and then adjust the shift cable. I'd give the method that is in that doc just posted a try. It's very tempermental and wants to be just right.
+1 this is the right way to do it.

Tom
Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 AM

Wow, thanks for the help.
The previous owner is a freind of mine and will be helping me with the adjustment.
That PDF looks very helpful and it seems like it just needs an adjustment of the trunnion with those lock nuts. Currently, when I'm in N the red indicator next to the shifter is above the N.
I should be able to find some time to take care of this this weekend.
Thanks again,
-Kamil
Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamil212 View Post
Wow, thanks for the help.
The previous owner is a freind of mine and will be helping me with the adjustment.
That PDF looks very helpful and it seems like it just needs an adjustment of the trunnion with those lock nuts. Currently, when I'm in N the red indicator next to the shifter is above the N.
I should be able to find some time to take care of this this weekend.
Thanks again,
-Kamil
Congratulations on your selection for a helper!
Keith
Old 12-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Got it fixed today!!!

After scratching our heads for a while we figured that the problem was torward the front of the cable and that it wasn't reaching the Park gear. The problem was that my friend put the front cable bracket on backwards which made the cable shorter and adjusting it all the way down to one end wasn't enough. I guess the bracket fits both ways and it's something that you don't even think about.
I'm glad to have it working and not have to play around with it everytime I want to start/stop the car.

Thanks again for the help and diagrams,
-Kamil
1997 SVX LSi in Ebony Pearl Black #401
2008 Forester STi in WRB