How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Hey Sexys Girl

Hi Sexys Girl, The thing which looks like a muffler is a resonator. Just putting a straight pipe or glass pack muffler may or may not get the job done. The purpose of the resonator is to give your engine a mid-range RPM boast. So yes just about anyone can put different mufflers on but it may not work as the OEM system worked. On SVXs the intake is tuned and the exhaust is tuned. This gives a boast in performance at predetermined RPM. Take care, BOBB
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64 View Post
for cruise control - check that the hose is connected in engine bay. It is easily dislodged as it is near the tranny dip stick, the light on dash will light but system will not engage.

There should be a black round cylinder next to brake reservoir in middle of engine bay, hose attaches to end.

good luck
bruce
Found where the hose is supposed to attach to the round black cylinder, but can't find the hose.....????? Can you tell me where it originates?

Last edited by Sexy'sGirl; 08-25-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
Hey green marine I just watched your youtube PRoN video. I liked it a lot. Here is the link if anyone else wants to see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulyyQ9ZUS8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiru View Post
that vid rules! ans SVX and An FF1 sweet!
Thanks guys... I was kinda wondering when someone over here would notice that ... The video didn't turn out nearly as well as I thought it would... I sent them nearly 50 minutes of shooting and it was all condensed to a simple 1:30 minute clip ... There was so much more information and shots that I thought would have looked better... But in the end, I am very glad to be the first SVX featured on PRoN, and hope that my clip allowed alot of the NASIOC n00b's the chance to see what Subarus looked like back when they were beautiful (unlike these new things which make me want to vomit uncontrollably)

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
If the muffler's gone, was anything else done to the exhaust system? Modifications there may cause CEL to set off at higher speeds.
I don't see how a missing muffler will cause a CEL... Missing CAT's "YES", Missing mufflers "NO"...

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 AM
SVX Owner

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy'sGirl View Post
Found where the hose is supposed to attach to the round black cylinder, but can't find the hose.....????? Can you tell me where it originates?
Underneath the fuse/relay box (just back of the battery). The end of the hose which connects to the round black cylinder is most likely somewhere under the master brake cylinder/boost.

Every time my cruise control wouldn't work - this hose was the problem. I finally replaced the entire hose with one which fits tightly... no problems with cruise control since. I really need cruise control with this car, else expense of driving really goes up due to speeding tickets, court costs, higher insurance, etc. Compared to these fuel is cheap!
'99 Outback SUS, 2.5L, Winestone (Burgundy/Gray) [Daughter Killed it]
'02 Outback SUS VDC, 3.0L, Green/Gray [Spouse's; Died at 500,000+]
'18 Legacy w/eyesight, Blue [Spouse's]
'94 Subaru Sambar KS-4, White [Farm UTV]
'94 Ford Ranger Extended Cab, Tomato Red
Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64 View Post
for cruise control - check that the hose is connected in engine bay. It is easily dislodged as it is near the tranny dip stick, the light on dash will light but system will not engage.

There should be a black round cylinder next to brake reservoir in middle of engine bay, hose attaches to end.

good luck
bruce
Totally fixed my Cruise Control!! THANKS Bruce And Tom, you don't know how many tickets you just saved me!

Last edited by Sexy'sGirl; 09-01-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
Hi Sexys Girl, The thing which looks like a muffler is a resonator. Just putting a straight pipe or glass pack muffler may or may not get the job done. The purpose of the resonator is to give your engine a mid-range RPM boast. So yes just about anyone can put different mufflers on but it may not work as the OEM system worked. On SVXs the intake is tuned and the exhaust is tuned. This gives a boast in performance at predetermined RPM. Take care, BOBB
We were able to find a replacement for the exhaust system at the salvage yard.....so far that took care of the annoying noise-lol Check engine light doesn't come on nearly as soon as it was coming on.

Still working on the sensors for the gas gauge at the moment, keep ya all posted! =)
Thanks soo much for all the help-I'm sure I'll have more! =)
Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Feel free to PM me if you need any troubleshooting information, as I have access to the Subaru Technical Information System Gas gauge is most likely one of the 2 sending units, I am pretty sure you can get to them by either removing the rear seat bottom, or removing the trunk carpet (I'm not positive since I've never had to get to mine, but I had to remove and clean the sending units in my 90 Legacy, which I got to by taking the carpet out of the cargo area)

You will see a cover secured by three bolts, one on each side under the seat or carpet, one of the two is larger than the other and also contains the fuel pump. To get to the sending units, remove the cover, it is secured with sticky goo so some gentle prying will be necessary to get it off, and once that is off you will see the cover that is secured to the fuel tank itself, remove the bolts and carefully lift the sending unit out. Once it is out you will see the resistive element and wiper, this is what you need to clean with carburetor cleaner, to remove any gunk that may have built up. You should be able to connect an ohm meter across the sending unit and slowly move the float, and you should see the resistance smoothly change, if it jumps around you will need a new sending unit. They run about $45 each from the Subaru dealer.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta