Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-06-2008, 05:46 PM

sunroof leak/wet headliner

The fabric on the front edge of my sunroof is damp and there are water droplets which are forming on the headliner near the front passenger corner of the sunroof opening and dripping onto my passenger seat.

I would like to know where to get weather stripping for the sunroof (if any is available) and I cannot find the drain holes for the sunroof. I have seen the diagram in another post, but I still cannot locate the holes. If anyone has had a sunroof leak problem or can offer any help I would be very grateful.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
There are several steps you can take to rectify this problem.

The seal around the sunroof panel is mostly to keep air noise down, as water still comes in around the seal and drains away in normal conditions on the SVX.

The rubber hoses that attach to the front drain outlets on the sunroof assembly can shrink and become disconnected or clog and back up. Both cases would cause a wet headliner and interior.

1) Open up the sunroof and pour a cup of water in the area around the opening and see if it drains away.

2) If it does drain away, you may have a disconnected drain tube versus a clogged one

(Continued in next post)
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
More on Leak 1-0-1

I would use the cup of water in such a way to try to determine exactly which drains are leaking, as there is one tube attached to each corner of the opening.

Usually the fronts end up leaking on most SVXs.

On my 1994 Pearl LSi, I encountered this leak problem due to a heavy clog int he left front drain.
*Your front drain tubes attach almost directly above the area of the visors, and can cause the moisture to appear near the sunroof opening and also around the edge of the headliner near the windshield.

I would first try to use a can of compressed air to clean the drain by inserting the straw into the problem sunroof drain hole, located at each front corner of the sunroof. (I am not near my car, so I cannot take a photo for you.)

If you cannot clear the leak by this method, the next step would be to either use a thin wire fed down the tube to dislodge the clog, but be careful as it could cause the tube to disconnect from the sunroof drain duct.

If you are unable to clear it with either of those two methods, it is time to look under the headliner where you can get easier access to the drain tubes.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM

thanks, ill give the water pour thing a shot, but i cannot locate the holes to clean them out. I know they are at the corners but i cannot find them for the life of me.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM

I JUST solved a similar problem. Is the water on the headliner of the sunroof or just the regular roof headliner? It makes a world of difference.

If it's on the headliner of the sunroof you have to remove the sunroof and reseal the weatherstripping, if not it's a drain plug.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM

things appear to be draining well enough
and the front edge of the sunroof's fabric was wet
Im pretty sure that i need weather stripping, but i cannot find a place to buy it.
loba, did you say that the sunroof needs to be removed to change the weather stripping?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Sorry about the late reply. Yes, the sunroof needs to be removed. It's pretty easy, there's a guide here:

Quote:
It's a piece of cake to remove the sliding metal sunroof. First run the S/R backabout 6", now CAREFULLY pry down on the sunroof headliner, it is being held in place with 6 push-pins, the front row of 3 push-pins are 2" back from the leading edge and 3.4" in from the outer edge, the center pin is 2.25" back. The second row of push-pins is 3.5" in from the sides, the outers are 6.25" back and the center is 6.5" back. The trailing edge is supported with 3 clips, the center one with a locating pin to make it easier to reinstall. The reason I listed the pin locations, is if you know where they are, there is less chance to rip the thin pressboard.
Now the sunroof headliner is wiggled out of the way, you can clearly see the 6 nuts ( I forget what size, but probably 12mm ) that hold it in. Tom
From there I took the weatherstripping off, and inspected it for damage. Since it was unscathed, I cleaned up really good and resealed it (any waterproof silicone will work, but they have special weatherstripping stuff as well), put it back on, and I'm leak free.

If you have any other questions you can email me at loba8686 AT gmail DOT com.