SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Hi Phil, I appear to be chasing you about here.

I have been a long time SLR user and had the same thoughts regarding my Pentax. But after taking all into account, including economics, I decided a complete camera was the way to go. What is more the major advantage of the SLR is partly sidelined by the LCD viewer. Because of the difficulty in setting up the many functions, I and most find they stick with automatics and play at the computer stage. Not classical but practical.

The tree house photo is a classic.

Cheers, Trevor.
Thanks.

Our DSLR serves my wife and me very well. It gives me the control I want over every stinking picture I take, and it has an automatic mode for my wife to use. Automatic really means totally automatic - you can't choose the focus group, and it'll even pop the flash (which is brighter than the freaking sun, my one complaint about the camera) when it sees fit.

I hate using LCDs as viewfinders. Most people have difficulty with them, so they make family get-togethers more aggravating. Who hasn't waited while their aunt or uncle try to find everybody in that little screen, when they could just look through the stupid camera?

I futz with my camera much more than any aunt or uncle at a family picnic, so I don't make anybody pose. I like candid photos much, much better.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Thanks.

Our DSLR serves my wife and me very well. It gives me the control I want over every stinking picture I take, and it has an automatic mode for my wife to use. Automatic really means totally automatic - you can't choose the focus group, and it'll even pop the flash (which is brighter than the freaking sun, my one complaint about the camera) when it sees fit.

I hate using LCDs as viewfinders. Most people have difficulty with them, so they make family get-togethers more aggravating. Who hasn't waited while their aunt or uncle try to find everybody in that little screen, when they could just look through the stupid camera?

I futz with my camera much more than any aunt or uncle at a family picnic, so I don't make anybody pose. I like candid photos much, much better.
Paul/Phil some confusion here but all valid and no problem.

I have come back mainly to compliment in regard to the photos published here. They all have real appeal, as well as having technical features. I love the child framed with the hand rail, but not in exclusion of others.

I agree that an LCD screen is a pain and no match for a proper SLR which gives all the required information in one visual message. Photography frustrated me until I obtained an SLR which brings everything logically into FOCUS

Excellent worthy thread.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Phil & Belha

OK. I know these two photos aren't worthy of this thread, but I wanted to demonstrate something that I learned in photography class many years ago. Something that you can't do with an automatic compact camera. I don't even know if you can do it with a digital SLR.

I took these two photos one after another with my 35mm SLR in "manual aperture" mode, trying to achieve a different effect in each case. I haven't retouched them, just scanned them and saved as jpgs.

For the first photo, I set the aperture wide open (1.7) and the camera automatically increased the shutter speed. You will notice that there is a very narrow depth of field. The SVX Network logo is sharp, but things nearer or further are out of focus.

For the second photo, I set the aperture really small (22) and the camera automatically decreased the shutter speed. This increases the depth of field. Now everything is in focus.

I suppose I should have done a half-way open photo as well, but I didn't think of it at the time.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 09-02-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM

So who came up with the convention:
small aperture = larger # = the hole that lets light in is small
larger aperture = small # = the hole that lets light in is large
Its always sounded confusing to me.

Anyways, here are a few that i've taken using my Olympus C700 UZ (2.1Mpx).
- First pic is my cat (while he was chewing the camera strap)
- Second is a sunset in South Padre Island
- Third is of a spider that had taken up residence in the bushes in my front yard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Austin_125s.JPG (426.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg P8240107s.JPG (364.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Spider_A_2s.jpg (494.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
OK. I know these two photos aren't worthy of this thread, but I wanted to demonstrate something that I learned in photography class many years ago. Something that you can't do with an automatic compact camera. I don't even know if you can do it with a digital SLR.
Of course you can. A digital SLR is just an SLR that's...digital. I play with the aperture on mine all the time - whether it's in aperture priority or full manual mode.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: