Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
not again

Long live the factory grease!!! going on 80k.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I finally found a Subaru mechanic in Staten Island that does regrease the bearings before installing and also recommends doing so. One last question; do you take the bearing apart or do you just pack in the grease? I ask because during my search someone mentioned to separate the bearings. Does this sound correct?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Having trouble loosening the axle nut! Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
Having trouble loosening the axle nut! Any suggestions?
I use a 4 foot long breaker bar on my 1/2 inch drive ratchet to break that nut free. My impact wrench is too weak to break it free.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:23 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I tried a 170 and a 350 torque impact wrench with no luck! I'm going to try the breaker bar. I only have a 24'', can I use a pipe on it? The axle nut turns counter clock wise to loosen doesn't it?

Last edited by dannmarr; 08-26-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Tight

Quote:
I tried a 170 and a 350 torque impact wrench with no luck! I'm going to try the breaker bar. I only have a 24'', can I use a pipe on it? The axle nut turns counter clock wise to loosen doesn't it?
Yes, they are standard threads. Righty Tighty----Lefty Loosey

Your axle nut must really be on there tight. They are supposed to be torqued 123-152 ft lbs.

If you have never packed a bearing you need to ask someone to show you how. It is fairly simple but you need to make sure it is well packed. Essentially you put grease in the palm of your hand and with the other hand actually scoop the bearing across your palm forcing grease thoroughly into the bearing. Rotate the bearing around and repeat the process. You do that until the bearing is completely full or packed with grease. Then it doesn't hurt to put some more grease around the bearing before you put it back in place.

It is recommended to replace the axle nut, but is not absolutely necessary if it is still in good shape and can be properly crimped to retain it in place after tightening.

Lee
Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
yeah thats right - use that 24" ratchet and stick a pipe over the handle (I meant pipe when I wrote breaker bar) you should be able to turn it real easy and smooth with a long pipe on there.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
It worked! Thanks! Do I need to dismantle the e-brake? Is it necessary to separate the hub from the assemble? Or can I take the whole thing to a shop to press in the bearings?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:36 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I finally got everything out and I regreased the new bearings. Now I'll have a shop press them in. Once this is done, I'll start the other wheel and I'll take photos and write up a "how to". It wasn't easy because I could not find a step by step procedure on this. I took bits and pieces from everywhere including the manual and the web. For someone who has no experience, photos would have helped a great deal. Hope when I'm done with the write up it will help others on their journey. Thanks to all!