Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
tmaslar

Rear Wheel bearing part numbers?

I am getting ready to order rear bearings for the SVX.

I spoke to the dealer and am confused about the part numbers they gave me.

I have seen on the forum that the SVX now uses the same rear wheel bearings as the WRX Sti.

The dealers I spoke to (two of them) both told me the part number for the SVX bearing is 28016PA000 the cost is about $80. They also claim that the Sti uses a different bearing 28016PA010 the cost is about $50.

Does anyone know what may be going on here? I want to be sure to get the correct and possibly upgraded Sti bearing.

Is the NTN 4T-CRI-08A02 bearing now used on the SVX and the Sti or what?

Are the 28016PA000 and 28016PA010 the same NTN 4T-CRI-08A02 Bearing?

Tom

Last edited by tmaslar; 07-27-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
28016PA000 is the front bearing
28016PA010 is the rear bearing

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html is a good page to look up details on part numbers.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I just called Jason at Auburn Subaru (866 528-5282). The rear wheel bearings are definitely the same part number for the SVX and the WRX STi (not the plain WRX). The rear wheel bearing seals are also the exact same part number between the SVX and the WRX STi.

The rear wheel bearing part number is PA010 number that Earthworm mentioned.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
tmaslar

Thanks for the replies.

I just got off the phone with Kaman Bearing, Dalton Bearing and the NTN importer for the USA.

They tell me the NTN part number 4T-CRI-08A02 is actually Part number 4T-CR1-08A02CS96#01.

They told me the suffix 01 indicates the grease packed in the bearing assembly which is Showa Oil 6459N grease which I think they said is an L244 grease, whatever that is.

Thay also said they do not use I's in the part numbers because they are easily confused with 1's.

These bearings are available from any local bearing supply house for $41.76.
I checked with Kaman Bearing and Dalton Bearing and they both confirmed the part number and price and stock in Chicago.

Tom

Last edited by tmaslar; 07-27-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Tom

This additional #01 for the part number is interesting. It may mean they have stopped using shipping grease in the bearings during storage, and started storing them with the "proper" grease.

Can you find out more about it? Is the L244 grease what should be in the installed bearing?

It would be very useful to have this made clear.

The only thing I can find out from the End Wrench articles is the following:
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ReplacingInfo.pdf

It gives good tips about how to do it, but no information on what are the correct torque values, or the correct grade of grease.

The '92 WSM I have on page [W4D0] 4-2 say the "Specified grease" is Shell 6459N. Whether this grease is an L244 type, I have no idea. Maybe you could ask.

It goes on further to say:

"If specified grease is not available, remove bearing grease and apply Auto Rex A instead. Do not mix different types of grease."

Best of luck

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46 AM
tmaslar

I did a Google search on the Showa Oil 6459N grease and did't find anything specific to the 6459N grease except that the company is reffered to as Showa/Shell in some of the hits I did get.

I assume that means that the grease in the NTN bearings is indeed Shell 6459N grease.

I still don't know if Shell 6459N is appropriate for our application?

I also don't know what the L244 designation means?

I am a a little uncertian if I should go ahead and use these bearings. The part # change has me a little concerned that they may not be the correct part.

If they are this is by far the best pricing I have seen for bearings for our cars. They are also readily available from any local NTN bearing supplier. That would mean most of us can actually pick then up at our local bearing supply house for $41.76 with no shipping charge.

Tom
Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 AM
sans SVX

Why take a chance on the grease that the bearings come packed with. Get rid of it and use a quality well-known grease with good specs. That makes one less thing to second guess if the bearings go out again.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
tmaslar

Mychailo,

I totally agree with you, however it would be nice to know if the grease that comes with the bearings is one of sufficient quality to use in our cars.

According to NTN thr grease that comes packed in the bearings is Showa/Shell oil 6459N grease. If this is an appropriate grease for our application then that may eliminate the grease as a possible cause for premature bearing failure.

Mine have failed 3X and were replaced by a reputable mechanic (Randy Orbach of Orbach Automotive in Denver, PA) and are still failing. I know he repacked the bearings and knows all the other caveats involved with the job including distortion of the bearing housing. We discussed all of these things and I am still getting premature failures. It would be nice to know if the grease that comes packed in the bearing is a possible issue or not.

I still plan on using Amsoil 2000 on mine because I already have it. Like you said why take a chance? It would still be helpful to know.

Tom
Old 07-28-2006, 02:50 PM
sans SVX

ok, I understand your point. I didn't know that the bearings had been replaced 3x. Did both sides go out 3x?

Visit my locker

Old 07-28-2006, 03:33 PM
tmaslar

The first 2X both were replaced. The second time the one on the left totally disintegrated. The mechanic said he had never seen this before. It was so loud that it was really hard to tell which one was making the noise. Randy redid them both at a very steep discount the second time. He did claim to check the bearing housing and said it was O.K..

Now I am in the same situation. It is so loud that I am not entirely sure which one is bad. I am planning on doing both again myself this time.

By the way what do you think about getting the bearings from directly NTN for $41.76?

Tom