Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Rear wheel bearings - searched with no luck

Hey y'all. I have a new DS rear wheel bearing to install. I'm not sure if it needs new grease (old type), or if it's one of the ones that comes with the correct grease (new type). So, I'm going to clean it out and put some high quality greas in there.

Now, I searched to find out exactly how to do this and cound not find adequate info.

I know I can pack the bearing by hand by filling my palm with grease and then rotating the bearing in the grease until it begins to ooze out the top, but there were some comments that this is not sufficient to completely remove the old grease.

I know I can spray the bearing to remove the old grease, but there were concerns that the solvent remains on the bearings and breaks down the new grease prematurely.

Finally, I've seen people take them apart and wipe them down before re-packing, but I can't find out how to take it apart without ruining it.

My apologies for visiting this topic once again, but help is appreciated. Suggestions from those who have done it or links to other threads with the info will do just fine.

Thanks!

Also interesting...this time when I ordered my bearing from 1st Subaru Parts, it no longer comes in a Subaru OEM box, but comes in the NTN supplier box.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-07-2006, 08:15 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
No problem

Subaru doesnt have the same issues they used to with wheel bearing grease. you can install it exactly how it comes in the box without adding or removing greese. ive done it an i know people who have done it..atleast the subaru box . But if you want your bearing to last forever and ever and ever you can go threw the trouble of removing all of the grease using brake clean or some other brain cell killing aerosol and repacking it with some aftermarket synthetic stuff...you will get all kinds of opinions about this subject

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

I had two rear wheel bearing that were installed with the shipping grease. Both self destructed. It won't happen instantly but you'll only get a couple years out of the bearings if you don't regrease. The shipping grease really isn't meant to be left in.

I used brake cleaner to degrease my new bearings (no residue). Use the little plastic tube, it really helps. After they were all cleaned I used compressed air to make sure they were dry.

By "take apart" are you talking about taking the rollers out of the plastic retainer? I wouldn't do it. One screw-up and you may need a new bearing. Of course if you're talking about the plastic sleeve pressed into the middle of the bearing, that's there just to hold it all together for shipping. Take that out and throw it away.

Last edited by Myetball; 04-07-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I didn't take a chance on using the grease that came with the bearings. I thought about wiping down the bearings instead of cleaning them with solvent, but I eventually decided to use solvent so that all the old grease was removed. The thing about the solvent tainting the new grease doesn't apply to solvents like brake clean and QD electronics parts cleaner. Those solvents evaporate entirely. Its been three years and 45k miles since I did my bearings, and still working perfectly.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.