How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-26-2005, 05:39 PM
svxwannabee

High and varying idle?

Can someone direct me to a thread or explain what the problem might be when I turn the car on and have the gear select in P (duh), it idles very high for about 5-10 seconds and then drops to 600 rpm and pulses up to 1000 rpm repeatedly like a heartbeat? The check engine light is on. That's about all I know for now. Have had the car for 6 days and can tell no problems yet. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Well the first thing you should be doing is checking that code. Look in the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com for checking the ECU codes.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Kiteless

Well you just got the car, so think about changing the spark plugs, check all your filters, and DEFINATELY change out your transmission fluid. While my car servived the power flush when I had my transmission fluid changed, I have been told repeatedly after the fact that the powerflush is bad for our 4EAT trannys. Especially for the older SVX's like the '92 think about installing an additional ATF cooler and the shift kit from www.smallcar.com. If you use the search you will find all kinds of info on those 2 crucal mods.

Also every car is different of course, but when I got my car the oil was really BAD. It was poop brown and had the consistancy of sewer water. I had them flush the whole oil system twice and then put full synthetic in it.

Oh it is also reccomended to use full synthetic in your transmission.

Hmm as for more info on your surging. You may want to run a few tanks of really good injector cleaner through it as well. After you do all those things if your check engine light is still on (it most likely will be) you can get a little tester to plug into your ODB1 port. It is just a peace of plastic that jumps 2 connectors to each other, and the (power or check engine) light will blink in series. I have seen ODB do it in 2 ways. Most cars have 2 code digits. so like 2 blinks then a pause, then 3 blinks would be code 23. The other way is that it will actually blink 23 times. I have never done this on the SVX so I do not know wich one it is.

I have learned alot about my SVX since I got it. Feel free to PM me and I can tell you everything that I have learned so far to maybe save you some head ache.

EDIT: Oh yeah. The 15K at the beginning seems to be normal, mine does that, especially if the weather in particularly cold.

- Jason
94' SVX-L 111,xxx Mi

Last edited by Kiteless; 08-26-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:32 PM
svxwannabee

I ran the code check and it came up with error code 24 "By-pass air control solemoid valve". Does this mean the air control valve? Or the solemoid valve? If it is the air control valve, where the heck is it? A friend and I tried looking for it but the picture in the Chilton manual isn't the greatest. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Send a message via AIM to SvXSubaru92
Argh, I still have the problem you descpribed, same error's, changed this valve, this sensor, still runs wierd. Good Luck
Old 08-26-2005, 11:17 PM
svxwannabee

Sorry to hear that. If I have any luck I'll let you know.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwannabee
Sorry to hear that. If I have any luck I'll let you know.
This valve that is showing a code for you is meant to adjust the idling when the engine is cold. If it is throwing a code, then it's likely the ECU [the engine computer] is "seeing" a wrong voltage from it, or, more likely, a shorted circuit that the signal from the ECU is having no effect on. That is to say, either the wire circuit to it is bad, broken or has a bad earth, or the solenoid which is meant to change the conditions at tickover has given up doing its job, and needs to be replaced.

This piece of kit is underneath the manifold. You need to take off the big plastic pipe feeding the two round manifolds from the airbox. Do it carefully, and remember where to connect all the pipes back. The solenoid valve in question is underneath the manifold. It's easy to find, it's fed by a wire.

Go on to www.subaruparts.com. When you get to the SVX engine section poke around till you find the manifold, and you will probably see it, and the part number and price. You might be better leaving it to a seasoned mechanic to change. If not set properly, your engine will never tick over right, yet it is simple enough if you understand what is required.

best of luck

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-29-2005, 08:22 PM
svxwannabee

Thanks for the help Joe. I did find it where you said, but oddly enough it quit doing that. So, the car is running beautifully again. At least now I know if it happens in the future.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxwannabee
Thanks for the help Joe. I did find it where you said, but oddly enough it quit doing that. So, the car is running beautifully again. At least now I know if it happens in the future.
Cool.

Check by doing the routine for clearing the codes [do a search, easy peasy] then see if it shows the code again.

If it doesn't you may have moved a wire or improved an earth that is now allowing it to do it's job.

Now you know where to look when it starts getting all tempramental on you!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl