How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 PM
KCROGUEDOG

fluids

bout how much and what kind (weight) of fluid shall i use in my front and rear differentials. i have never changed these (diffy fluids) since i purchased the svx in oct. i ran across some moble 1 diff fluid that was farely price. also recommend me some good oil and tranny fluid as well. i like the quaker state high rpm oil (is this bad?). and i usually use penzoil decron 3 in the tranny with a slick 50 tranny junk.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
KCROGUEDOG

a high temp products that would be fastly available would be nice to know of. i change my tranny fluid 3 times since owning over 17k ish. is this bad to i know it is suppose to last longer but i dont want any auto faliure till i get money for the manual swap.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I just changed my diff fluids this weekend, so I'll try to be of some help.

The drain plug to the front diff takes a 21mm socket. Per the factory manual it takes 1.2qts and 80w90 gear oil is recommended. I used Lucas 80w90 heavy duty high performance gear oil.

The rear diff is drained and filled from two circular plugs in the back which are loosened/tightened with the stub end of a 1/2" socket wrench. It takes 0.8qts and 75w90 gear oil. I decided to go with a slightly heavier gear oil for the rear diff as I drag race a lot. I also used Lucas 80w90 gear oil.

I previously used Mobil 1 synthetic gear oils in my diffs, but didn't like how they ran like water. I prefer a thicker high temp gear oil.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)