Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm thinking that if the problem's in the tranny it's going to be the clutches themselves. I'm under the understanding that when duty solenoid C fails you will be in 4WD instead of FWD.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
henryb

Thanks to everyone who have been providing me with a ton of great information. However, the bad news is in fromt he Dealers diagnosis...

If you recall about one year ago, there was a rash of stolen SVX's in the Toronto area. Well mine was one of those. And although we got the car back, it had only damage to the driver window and some of the plastic bits around the ignition key -- all of which were paid for by my auto insurance!!! Now it appears that more internal damage was done to the tranny!

One of the the main drive shafts was sheered off, thus nothing behind it was turning! There is over $1700(CDN) in parts that need replacing, however, the insurance company is planning to pay for some of it. I won't hear how much they are willing to pay until tomorrow. I will give you and update afterwards!

Thanks to everyone again,
Old 01-05-2005, 09:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
OKay well that sucks. Forgive us for being offbase with our guesses, but in our defense we don't hear of a lot of sheared-off driveshafts.

Let us know how things go.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
henryb

The insurance adjuster called me today. He indicated that for the insurance company to cover this cost, they have to have proof that the damage occured during the time that the thief had the car.

So they are going to take a sample of the tranny fluid - which was changed at the time when the dealer was doing the repair work on the car one year ago. They will send the sample to a lab and perform a test on the metal filings left in the fluid solution to determine the date at which it entered the fluid. Not sure how they do this, possibly by the decay rate or something like that? If the metal filings date back to the time when the fluid was replaced (ie. one year ago), then the chances are that the part was broken while the thief had the car. If the date of the metal indicates is was some time after that, say last summer, then they will not foot any part of the bill.

Unfortunately, this test will take the better part of 3 weeks and if I want the car back before then... I will have to pay the dealer now and they will re-imburse me whatever portion of the cost they are going to cover after the test results are back!

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I will keep you posted when the results are in.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How will they differentiate between the filings from that time and the filings from driving after the theft?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Clutch basket?

I guess it was the clutch basket that broke off the back of the transfer gear.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.