How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
mark10t

SVX vs. Legacy 4EAT

It looks like I may be acquiring Victoria's SVX transmission and I will be swapping it into my Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon. I know a couple of SVX'ers have previously swapped Legacy transmissions into their SVX's (including Ardubjay), and I'm curious if any logistical problems have been encountered such as differences in the electrical connectors, etc.

I've already done the homework and the SVX and the Legacy Turbo's share the same ratios throughout the transmission (non-turbo Legacy's have different ratios), but they do have a different final drive ratio (3.5x vs. 3.9). I already know I have to 'swap' out the front differential from my Legacy if I am to use Victoria's SVX transmission- if for no other reason because her diff is 'trashed'- prompting her 5MT swap in the first place.

Any insight, advice, thoughts, etc. on the subject?

-Mark
Old 05-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think the SVX will be a little long but not sure. You may have to cut the propeller shaft. Most people have to add a spacer when going the other way.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:21 AM
mark10t

I think you're thinking of the 5MT swap. I'm talking 4EAT ==> 4EAT.

-Mark
Old 05-14-2004, 02:46 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
non turbo legacy is 4.11 FD btw

and i believe that only the manual legacy turbos had the 3.55's someone correct me if i'm wrong on this...

logistically
it woulnd't seem so
it's just swapping a trans... if you don't need to change the FD's your in good shape everything plugs in

just hope it all works once it's together or you'll end up like me w/ a problem that doesn't seem to have a source
Old 05-14-2004, 07:49 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
In another thread, someone said that some internals on the SVX 4HEAT are more stout than on the Legacy 4HEAT. I seem to recall the person saying that the transfer clutch was more stout. Could be some other things too.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:44 AM
mark10t

I have also seen and heard reference to the transfer clutches being more 'stout' on the turbo Legacy 4EAT vs. the non-turbo Legacy's. My research showed that the ratios on the SVX and turbo Legacy transmissions is identical (2.785, 1.545, 1.00 .694) which leads me to believe that 'rear of the differential', the SVX and turbo Legacy share the same transmission. I'm looking for some confirmation that the connectors that hook up with the TCU, shift, etc. are also identical so there will be no surprises during my changeover.

Final drive on non-turbo Legacy's are 4.11, turbo Legacy is 3.9, SVX is 3.545.

-Mark
Old 05-14-2004, 09:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
In another thread, someone said that some internals on the SVX 4HEAT are more stout than on the Legacy 4HEAT. I seem to recall the person saying that the transfer clutch was more stout. Could be some other things too.
The transfer clutch for the SVX has one extra drive plate and one extra driven plate. I don't know about the other clutches for sure.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
From memory, the turbo and SVX have more plates in the high clutch and the transfer clutch, so in that respect they are the same. The valve body may have differences. The gear change may be firmer.

Can't see any problems, though you should check the wiring diagrams, for the two. The plugs should be the same, the colour codeing may be different.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:04 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
i dissasembled the transmission that was formerly in my svx, to remove the shift solenoid cluster. i did not have access to an svx service manual but i do have one from the 90 legacy. according to the legacy manual, and the actual svx transmission interanly the valve body is the the same. the solenoids are the same,
the valves are the same the bolts are the same, everything is the same. I would have to say that the only difference is in the clutches...
as has been noted before the 4eat uses a variable torque split by letting the clutches slip in varying amounts. This generates heat. friction=heat more clutch contact =more friction more friction = more heat...

so to rationalize my legacy transmission and all it's hastles that this previously cursed object has wrought upon me i use this train of thought.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:59 AM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
non turbo legacy is 4.11 FD btw

and i believe that only the manual legacy turbos had the 3.55's someone correct me if i'm wrong on this...

logistically
it woulnd't seem so
it's just swapping a trans... if you don't need to change the FD's your in good shape everything plugs in

just hope it all works once it's together or you'll end up like me w/ a problem that doesn't seem to have a source
All Legacy turbo's are 3.900 final drive, and all N/A AWD 90-94 legacy's are 4.111, FWD are all 3.700
Old 05-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
i dissasembled the transmission that was formerly in my svx, to remove the shift solenoid cluster. i did not have access to an svx service manual but i do have one from the 90 legacy. according to the legacy manual, and the actual svx transmission interanly the valve body is the the same. the solenoids are the same,
the valves are the same the bolts are the same, everything is the same. I would have to say that the only difference is in the clutches...
as has been noted before the 4eat uses a variable torque split by letting the clutches slip in varying amounts. This generates heat. friction=heat more clutch contact =more friction more friction = more heat...

so to rationalize my legacy transmission and all it's hastles that this previously cursed object has wrought upon me i use this train of thought.
The valve may look identical from the outside but the springs that load the spool valves may be different. The accumulators may be different also.

The 4eat does not allow any clutches to slip. The variable torque split, only applies a varing pressure to the transfer clutch, to prevent slip. When turning the transfer clutch pressure is reduced to allow it to slip about 1/4 of a turn to allow for the front/back wheel difference.

So the extra clutch plates are there to stop the higher torque from slipping the clutches under power.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
mark10t

Here's a follow-up to my 'saga'-

I just got the Legacy Touring Wagon back from the shop yesterday. Except for the hole they punched in the rear interior facia of the hatch lid**, there are no problems and the car drives very nicely. The 'fresh' transmission shifts very crisply and far mor consistent with no hint of the 'flares' I'd experience with the old tranny. They did have to re-use the Legacy torque converter- it appreared as though there were some minor differences (i.e., starter ring gear) that were different and there are definitely some physical differences in the front diff's such as the starter and the axle stubs between SVX and Legacy. (I wouldn't have been able to re-use Victoria's diif anyway considering it had 4 teeth missing on the ring gear!!??!!)

**They decided to put my old trans/diff/torque converter, etc. in the back of the wagon before they test drove the car. When he hopped on it to test traction, etc., the torque tube/drive rod of the transmission slid back on the wagon floor and punched a hole through the hatch door facia and even put a small dent in the outer sheet metal. (Wouldn't you think you'd do your testing and 'spirited driving' BEFORE you put all the oily, heavy, loose stuff in the car!? I also ended up with some ATF leaking out of the tranny onto the deck and carpet before I got home- YECCHHHH! Lots of fun to clean up..... )

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in yet is the transfer clutch. After a lot of 'seat of the pants' and technical testing of the original transmission, I knew that I wasn't seeing ANYTHING out the back of the transmission to the rear wheels. I checked out the new transmission by driving up the back yard- a steep grass slope with the car- and got it to kick in the back wheels- although it wasn't as 'instantaneous' or as constant in engagement as I would have liked or hoped for.

So, now we've answered another Legacy vs. SVX transmission question.

-Mark