Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-27-2001, 12:14 PM
svx471

I've got a slight disagreement with the Service Manger at Twin State Subaru (with whom I've been very happy and whose opinions I generally respect) regarding repacking Subaru wheel bearings. I need help to understand the mechanics of the situation, as well as proper installation procedures.

The basis disagreement is that Service does not believe the wheel bearings can be repacked without destroying them. True/False? So long as I catch a problem with a replacement within the 1 yr warranty period, thats ok with me, except I've got to put up with the noise until it is loud enough for the mechanic to hear. I would prefer to have the replacements last more than 15k miles.

Are there any TSBs issued regarding repacking wheel bearings (Service says not)?

Any independant documentation I can offer in support of repacking?

help please.

Thanks to all, and have a great time in Reading

Steve
Old 03-27-2001, 12:33 PM
lightning_8669

<<So long as I catch a problem with a replacement within the 1 yr warranty period, thats ok with me, except I've got to put up with the noise until it is loud enough for the mechanic to hear. >>

I recently had both rear bearings replaced. After about a month one began to howl and it didn't take long for it to get loud. I had the dealer re-replace that one and about a month after that the other one started to howl. Just had them re-replace that one.

In the mean time I have heard on a post someplace that the bearings require packing prior to installation because the shipping grease isn't intended for anything more than storage protection. My guess is the dealer that installed mine didn't know this the first time around.

You might want to ask the dealer what they intend to do when they are installing them as far as grease goes. Unless they already installed them in which case you will be going back in much less than a year.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 03-27-2001, 12:40 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<The basis disagreement is that Service does not believe the wheel bearings can be repacked without destroying them. True/False?>>
False. Go to http://www.eastwoodco.com
Enter 49039 in the search field and it will take you to the UNIVERSAL ROLLER BEARING PACKER for $ 9.99. It attaches to a grease gun and allows you to purge out all the old grease and put in new.

<<Are there any TSBs issued regarding repacking wheel bearings (Service says not)? >>
I do not believe so.

<<Any independent documentation I can offer in support of repacking?>>
Probably not. I know its not a testament to repacking, but when you purge them you can see the difference between the OEM grease and a high-temp synthetic grease. the OEM grease looks like vegetable oil compared to the high temp synthetic.

<<I need help to understand the mechanics of the situation>>
The mechanics are pretty straightforward. Under most circumstances, a higher quality grease will provide a longer life of protection than a lower quality grease.

<<as well as proper installation procedures>>
As long as they properly torque them, its up to the quality of that particular bearing and grease as to how long it will last.

Good Luck

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-27-2001, 02:22 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Steve, I'll need to check my manuals, but, I believe that the manuals discourage re-packing the bearings -- just too many components. Again, I'll check the manual when I get home tonight.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-04-2001, 09:09 AM
vettn

I just replace my passanger side rear bearing on my 94. I took everything apart and went to my local parts place to have them press the old bearing out and the new one in. But they said I'd have to wait till next week, cause they didn't have time. So I went back home and pounded the old bearing out with a hammer (Pretty easy to do) and tapped the new one in. The grease that comes with the bearing is definitely not wheel bearing grease. Besides, there is not enough of it in there. I took the new bearings apart completely. I even took the rollers out. Cleaned the untill they were nice and free of the packing grease. I regreased them with Synthetic wheel bearing grease, put the rollers back on the plastic holder, greased that whole thing up, and then put the bearing back together. I put as much grease in there as I could (The extra amount of grease comes out when you press the bearings in the hub). It only took me about 2 hours from start to finish. The tapping of the bearing back in took most of that time (Have to be carful when doing that). Now the car rides totally different. I think I might want to do the other side next week).