Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2004, 09:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Legacy transmission filter???

When we last left our hero, he had apprently messed up the transmission in the Legacy to the point that it would roll in 'Park.'

I got the extension back off and, sure enough, the spring is chewed up into about tn small pieces. They seem to have immediately found their way into the pan.

Ah, yes, the pan. Where the filter resides. I'd like to replace the filter, but I've got a problem. Advance Auto has two filters listed for the car. I ran into the same problem with the '90 Legacy, so I brought the old one with me just in case.

And neither of Advance's filters are an exact match. One has a pickup that's about a quarter inch too long, but isn't stamped in the same shape.The other has pretty much no pickup (1/8" deep) but is stamped in the right shape.

Will the one with no pickup work okay? I figure the whole thing's bathed in ATF anyway, but I wasn't going to pay $30 for something that might work.

Anyway, I'm going to take the park return spring off the old SVX tranny I have laying on the garage floor. I think what I need to do this time is assemble it in 'Park' so the park rod holds everything together.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The deeper the inlet is below the surface the better the AFT will be. This is because there will be less air bubbles in the fluid. It will have more solid fluid and less air and this is better for lubrication and heat transfer. The fluid transfers more heat than the air. The deeper the better because the air has to fight buoyancy forces to get pulled deep and will separate out as the fluid moves down.

The shape of the stamped housing is not as important in my opinion. However it must clear all the pipes and other parts of the cast valve body.

It is important that the screen be completely sealed between the stamped metal parts.

How much is the Subaru part?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
[B]The shape of the stamped housing is not as important in my opinion. However it must clear all the pipes and other parts of the cast valve body.[B]
Of course, and that's the problem. The one that's not the right shape will not clear everything.

The dealer wants $37.90 for the filter. That's about $10 more than the aftermarket filters, so it's worth just getting one that fits. I'll go get it after work.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-20-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:42 AM

Registered SVX
Update

When I visited the dealer, it turned out that they didn't have the internal filter. What they had was an external cannister filter. 'And the only reason we carry these is that sometimes Jiffy lube takes one off thinkingit's the engine oil filter, otherwise we never replace them.'

'What about the internal screen?'

'We never replace those, either. We don't ven stock those.'

'No matter what?'

'No matter what.'

Are these guys full of crap? I just wanted to replace mine because there was a lot of metal in the pan from the spring being all chewed up. Maybe I just need to rinse it out?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
mark10t

I just replaced the tranny filter (internal) on the new/used '94 Touring Wagon I just bought. What an ugly job! At least Subaru provides a drain plug so you can get 90% of the ATF out of there before you drop the pan. ATF dribbling and dripping from everywhere (and with a drain pan already too full to re-position underneath for convenience).

At least it's not going to have to be done in the next few years again- it's getting a 12 qt flush with Mobil 1 synthetic.

-Mark
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX
Okay, so I'm putting the car back togethertomorrow night. I just set the SVX's old reduction drive gear onto the shaft from the Legacy and seated that back in the tranny. I left it for the night because tomorrow I'll have help. I don't want to put the extension back on by myself - I messed it up last time with two people, so maybe I should fit another under there. I'll watch the parking pawl return spring, a second person can watch the wiring harness and a third will set the extension back on.

Anyway, my last major decision is to either keep using the same internal tranny filter or go gt the one with the nonexistant pick-up.

Opinions?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-22-2004, 02:32 PM
mark10t

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!

Update to previous post- while going through the AT filter box, I came across an 'O'-ring- looked at 'old' filter and realized I hadn't installed the 'O'-ring on the filter inlet tube.........

I had to drain the 5 qts. of fresh oil I had dumped in and drop the pan AGAIN(!) to re-install the missing 'O'-ring.

At least I was prepared for the dripping, etc. this time.

12+ qt. 'flush' completed!!!

-Mark
Old 04-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Filter

Hi Nick, A couple of years ago Lou at Ann Arbor Subaru told me the same thing. They never replace the filter in the pan. Its just for rocks and stuff like that. Lou told me he had bid on a '96 SVX at an auction 700.00. But Brian from AASubaru bid 800.00 aand got it. Replaced the upper clutch and a few other thing and it is good to go. $800.00 dollars! I cried. Brian is a master mechanic so he can fix anything. Take care, BOBB
Old 04-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: Filter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobb
Hi Nick, A couple of years ago Lou at Ann Arbor Subaru told me the same thing. They never replace the filter in the pan. Its just for rocks and stuff like that. Lou told me he had bid on a '96 SVX at an auction 700.00. But Brian from AASubaru bid 800.00 aand got it. Replaced the upper clutch and a few other thing and it is good to go. $800.00 dollars! I cried. Brian is a master mechanic so he can fix anything. Take care, BOBB
same response from 2 subaru dealerships. one in atlanta and liberty subaru. however i do believe that liberty subaru will sell you one if you ask for it.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:26 AM

Registered SVX
Thanks for the advice, guys.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-23-2004, 12:37 PM

Registered SVX
Well, I bought a filter from Advance Auto. I got the one that has the same profile as the OEM filter, but a much shorter pickup tube. I think that shorter pickup tube is causing some problems, because it seems to slip occasionally after turns.

Oh, did I mention that the car is back together again?

It is.

Anyway, I keep having to add fluid, so we'll see. It might just still be a little low. And for some reason the speedo seems to act a little funny at real low speeds.

Other than that, I'm crossing my fingers. I seem to have put it back together correctly this time.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE