Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-08-2019, 03:33 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Sleeve Lock Regulator Replacement with PHOTOS

Nice job. That looks excellent. I don't think the tolerances would be very tight on such a simple part. That one should work. Strength would be the main issue.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Looking great, thanks for your efforts.
Please keep the forum updated.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Excellent!!
Old 10-10-2019, 07:51 PM

I'll try to install the clip in my window assembly this weekend and test it.

If there is anybody out there who needs a clip very urgently and doesn't mind trying an early version, PM me and I'll try to hook you up ASAP. I'm sure the PLA version of the clip would last at least a little while (I fear PLA is going to degrade when temperature cycles, more than nylon would). You'll probably have to replace it at some point, but at least it could help immediately.

I'm also designing a version which effectively uses (two) zip-ties to strengthen the clip. Hopefully this version will result in a strong/durable option which could be 3D printed at home

The shapeways.com estimate came in around $6 + shipping. Once I test fitment, I'll order a few nylon clips from shapeways.com.

I see shapeways.com has some feature for creating a store - I might do this. It should make ordering the clip easier for people who don't do 3D printing, and if it makes any money it could go to help fund subaru-svx.com (and potentially fund development of other SVX things we could 3D print).

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Well, I took a look at my window problem today. Turns out the main problem was somebody else owned the car before me and really didn't know what they where doing.

First issue:

This window didn't have a sleeve clip on it! It has four holes drilled around that area, and lots of glue or epoxy. Guessing this was a previous owner's attempt to fix the missing clip problem.... This causes problems for me because there is glue stuck on the back of the assembly which I can't see, but gets in the way of the clip, and I can't tell if the clip is the wrong size, and the glue is in the way.

After getting much of the glue off, I was able to get the clip to seat almost perfectly:

Fitment was very tight. I think if round some corners, fitment will be much easier. There are also a couple of very subtle chamfers on the original that I didn't include, these will also likely help improve the fitment.

I did test the window with the 3D printed clip in place and it worked perfectly.

Anyway, progress is being made, so YAY!.

I'll do a new version of the clip and test that one (hopefully tomorrow).

Cheers!
Ian.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Push on Ian you are doing a great job.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Ok, after a couple of days of testing and iterating on the design, I think we are close to a winner!

The latest version fits better, and has a been reinforced on the "bottom" part which I think is where many of these things break. You can see the size difference here:

This one fits perfectly:

The enlarged/reinforced end still clears the rest of the mechanism with over a 1mm of clearance:

I've placed an order with shapeways.com for 5 units made in nylon. This comes out at $8 to $9 each. I'll let you know how the shapeways units turn out.

Cheers!
Ian.

Last edited by svxcess; 10-23-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:58 PM

I got the first batch from shapeways.com:

They look really nice. Will test install one this weekend. If these fit I'll mail Gene's spare one back to him, and then publish the models for all to use.

Cheers!

Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sleeve Lock Regulator.jpg (63.1 KB, 1180 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 10-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Ian,

Are you going to be selling the regulators or offer a link to where we can get them?
Not sure what "publishing the models" is.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-23-2019, 07:46 PM

I will publish (make the files available for people to download) the model so people can make them using their own 3D printers.

I'm also wanting to make it as easy as possible for folks to get one (especially for folks without 3D printers). So what would you folks like? I'm open to suggestions on what would work best.

1) I create a shapeways.com store (or some sort of link) and people can order it from there (probably about $10 each).
2) I could order a bunch from shapeways.com and sell them (probably about $10 each)
3) I setup a nylon 3D printer and make them myself (would be cheaper, but only after I pay off the nylon 3D printer setup).

I'm also wondering how I could use this to support Chris supporting the site. Could I get shapeways to charge a few dollars extra and send them to Chris? Just do the honors system, buy/make one and donated to Chris? Sell them myself and send money to Chris... etc.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:36 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Those look amazing! Fantastic work you've done on this.I'd buy a couple to help support this site and production costs.
Earl should be good for a dozen or so for his fleet.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Those came out really nice Ian. You will surely have a good number of forum members who will want or need them.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 10-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Maybe consider taking pre-orders for the regulators from members. Have them each send in say $12.00 each, letting them know the price is $10.00 with the additional $2.00 going to Chris. Wait for the money to come in, keeping a list of who paid and the quantity ordered.

Then order a batch from shapeway with money collected and send them out when they come in. Then send the $2.00/per unit collected to Chris without waiting

And can post a message on the SVXNation Facebook site, linking to the post over here. There is a lot of interest over there concerning these

It would be easier to buy directly from a shapeway store directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post

I will publish (make the files available for people to download) the model so people can make them using their own 3D printers.

I'm also wanting to make it as easy as possible for folks to get one (especially for folks without 3D printers). So what would you folks like? I'm open to suggestions on what would work best.

1) I could create a shapeways.com store (or some sort of link) and people can order it from there (probably about $10 each).
2) I could order a bunch from shapeways.com and sell them (probably about $10 each)
3) I could setup a nylon 3D printer and make them myself (would be cheaper, but only after I pay off the nylon 3D printer setup).

I'm also wondering how I could use this to support Chris and supporting the site. Could I get shapeways to charge a few dollars extra and send them to Chris? Just do the honors system, buy/make one and donated to Chris? Sell them myself and send money to Chris... etc.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Ian.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 10-24-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:55 PM

Success with the shapesways nylon clip, fits in place snugly and gives a satisfying "click" when it locks in place:

Old 10-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

GREAT NEWS!!

Now what did you decide to do about production and distribution? I am ready with Paypal whenever you are.

Posted a link to this thread over on SVXNation. Could probably sell a lot of these at Reading 20.

John

Last edited by svxcess; 10-27-2019 at 08:55 PM.