How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Some Random Weirdo

How do you remove the coolant overflow tank?

How do you remove the coolant overflow tank? It was dirty with some residue from when the previous engine would boil back into it (likely from a HG failure). My idiot previous mechanic had put in that Bar's copper **** in there, which did nothing but cause a mess. I had slowly added coolant to the rad and getting any air out of the system. I noticed though I had forgot to add anything to the overflow tank and realized I never had cleaned it so I don't want to just add antifreeze in there as it is. Probably a project for next weekend but figured I would ask as I just came across it.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:56 PM

Re: How do you remove the coolant overflow tank?

Gently pry up the black cover..you can barely see the prongs on the top 1'' of the cover . With cover off you will see the 2 10mm bolts securing it. It has a friction fit plug on the bottom that will pop off when you pull up on the container. There is the overflow hose line near the base that, if removed, will let the coolant drain all over the place. Have a cap or plug ready to seal it off or empty the container as much as possible with a suction pump or, if you want to be more involved, remove the return line from the radiator neck, unclip from plastic guides and have enough free hose so you can let it dangle below the level of the coolant tank where it will gravity drain.

Last edited by fasteract7; 10-18-2016 at 04:15 AM.