How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 PM

starting problems- "fuseable link" melted?

I have been having quite a bit of work done on my LSi finally! I had the AWD transfer case re-done finally, that was an expensive proposition but now that is fixed and runs great. But I have also been having some intermittant starting problems. That is very aggravating!

So, the service dept replaced the ignition switch and ignition tumblers, both of which I needed. (at least I know I needed the tumblers, not sure about the ignition switch but I was game.) However, the starting problem remained and they have been having trouble tracking it down. So they ordered a new "fusible link" last week, a part he thought I needed and that he hoped might help them diagnose the problem. That part finally arrived and when they went to install it today, he said they discovered that where the fusible link goes into the fuse box had melted...(it had melted where the fusible link was attached to the main fuse block, I believe is how he described it.) He says there must have been an electrical problem at some time that caused this and he says the fuse box needs to be replaced, that this is likely what may be causing the car to not start at times. (When the car wont start, it is totally dead, not any clicking or anything. Can be hot or cold start attempt. Other times it starts right up.)

The service mgr said to replace the fuse box (or fuse block, I cant remember what he called it) is a $800 part when ordered new from Subaru ...He asked if I could help him try to locate a used one. He has been trying to find a used one for me but hasn't found one yet.

Can anyone help me with this?
- First of all, I dont know what the heck he is talking about (I am not a mechanic as you have probably guessed.)
- Secondly, does what he says make any sense (as I have tried to explain it?)
-And thirdly, is the fuse box or fuse block a part that can be found used rather than having to buy new?

thanks for any help or advice. I value all the help I get from this forum, always it is most appreciated!

Last edited by Bailey; 10-27-2009 at 06:55 PM.