Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Mid Engine SVX concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Harvey why did you ask about Trailing link are youc concerned the suspenion won't be strong enough as I suggest it should be?
Tony
You could make it strong enough, but it would be heaver than it need be.

If you look at the front suspension and compare it to the rear. The rear uses light direct links, which locate, and take the forces of the wheel, in a direct line.

The front uses a heavy A arm with widely spaced pivots, to locate and take the forces. On the front it has to be like this because the wheel has to turn, direct can't be used, so the pivots have to be wide apart to provide the strength to locate the wheel against the forces.

As you are building the rear, direct links are the strongest, and lightest.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Finished the engine mount design and about to weld the in. Here is a photo of the mounting design.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Stuffed around with the suspension on the back and in the end I had some concerns that if the design failed then it might be all over. Bit the bullet and purchased a set of alum arms front and back. They are the type used on Factory Five GTM see photos. I might not have as many options to change the suspension but it should get me going and safer.
Tony

1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Stout! Good move - no questions on these and the balance you've designed like a tank.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Stout! Good move - no questions on these and the balance you've designed like a tank.

Bill
Wasn't sure what you ment for a while Bill,

I just followed one of the Factory Five GTM's in the 25 hour and was surprised how well it was doing at the start, very quick track times, some links here,
http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...of-Thunderhill

The car uses Corvette suspension so that is were I got the idea. I fully understand what Harvey's and others point about how heavy the SVX is but the GTM has 400hp and weighs in at 2600lb, my guess is that I can get the svx in race form the same weight and with out turbo I could get 400hp with a lot more. Having a flat engine low mounted the CG would be heaps lower.

In addiation I got some advise from Harvey's son about a suspension simulator and I can play with anchour point on the car later on. Okay so that is were my heads at on this one.

I built new anchour point pins to weld into the chaiss to add the 5th & 6th anchour points for the subframe so it should be pretty strongly mounted.

Tony
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM

Waiting on the suspenion arms from the USA but have been trying to figure out the design of the suspenion interms of height of anchour points etc.
I want inboard springs and shocks and have wondered about some sort of linkage between the two sides of the suspension. I came across this idea and thing it might be tne way to go,
What do you guys think.

http://www.walker-partnership.com/

Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 12-16-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Waiting on the suspenion arms from the USA but have been trying to figure out the design of the suspenion interms of height of anchour points etc.
I want inboard springs and shocks and have wondered about some sort of linkage between the two sides of the suspension. I came across this idea and thing it might be tne way to go,
What do you guys think.

http://www.walker-partnership.com/

Tony
I have seen that before, looks good, as you can use a much lower spring rate to improve traction on bumps and rough surfaces.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I have seen that before, looks good, as you can use a much lower spring rate to improve traction on bumps and rough surfaces.

Harvey.
Hi Harvey,
I think it has a problem and that is that the simulation doesn't show examples of when one wheel hits a bump. Looking at it closly can't see any reason why the body and opposite wheel will stay un effected.

Tony
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,

Looks good. Definitely eliminates the need for sway bars, yet also definitely not an easy retrofit for production cars due to the geometry (additional linkages) involved. I can see how you'll be able to adapt it to the rear as long as the engine is far enough forward of the a-arms.

Cheers,
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Harvey's son (Steven) and I had a disussion via email and its agreed that the design while looking good has a few problems. Steven has designed his own suspenion using a simulator program so he is speaking with experiance.

As I see it that design won't work as the most important stability are car needs is when one wheel hits a bump.
Tony
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 AM

Parts arrive for the suspenion and starting to get my head around it. Have done up a Cad to see how it all fits.

here is the pdf as well.
Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Suspenion using corvette.pdf (1.30 MB, 324 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 PM

Have made some progress as you can see by the photo. I am up to the exhaust and back gear box mounts. There are two photos one showing how I have saved 100mm of height on the engine by going to a dry sump and different exhaust. The current plan is for the exhaust pipes to go from the heads between the rocker covers and then back above the drive shafts. This wil enable me to keep the engine low as intended. Not real happy with the corvette trailing arms so I am still deciding if I will dump them and move to some thing better.

Given all my other jobs progress is slow.
Tony

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Does a dry sump involve an oil filter relocation?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,
any flexure in the motor mounts? what's your concern with the vette arms?
cheers,
Bill

My Locker
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Hard to tell from the pic but does that crossmember successfully clearence the water pump, oil pump and oil filter?
Also, when you say the exhaust will route "between the rocker covers..." do you mean it will run from the manifold (in the first pic), up in front of the timing covers and then turn rearwards over the heads?