Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Unhappy Problem with the trunk.

Hello, svx lovers

I cannot get into my trunk.

1) Lever to open the trunk near the driver's seat does not work. Nothing happens when I pull it,
2) Key also does not work in lock.
3) I cannot go through back seat "fold down" because little button under headrest doesn't work. (it's broken)

May be there is a manual, that can help me remove back seat and get into the trunk. Or something else.

Please help.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 AM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX
Re: Problem with the trunk.

Never have done this but you can possibly pull the bottom cushion out, then unbolt the bolts of the top cushion and possibly sneak into the trunk and grab the emergency release. But for some reason i doubt you'll have enough room.
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The small square button under the headrest can be removed. The rear headrest can be removed as well to give more room. After prying off the button, you should be able to depress the latch with some sort of tool to release the seat.

My bet is on the trunk cancel switch on the trunklid. You may have accidentally moved it up so that the trunk release does not work. I Have done this many times before.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 AM

I have already removed square button under the headrest (you can see it on the photos).

But i think that there are all fully broken, cause I try to pull down the latch and nothing happens.

Also I really don't know how mechanism works. So i don't know what to do with this things.

I attach 2 photos - under headrest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg up.jpg (433.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (432.7 KB, 216 views)
Old 12-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

What is the problem with the trunk lock?

Is it the original key? The master key should fit the door, ignition and trunk.

Does the key fit into the lock but not turn?

The trunk lock my be rusty or frozen and need *to be heavily lubricated with something like WD40 or PB Blaster and allowed to set to loosen it up. Spray it directly into the lock or onto the key while in the lock and attempt to make it work.

The photos show a lot of rust on the mechanism. You should lubricate these also to see if they will move. You need to push down to release the latch (The same way you would use the button)

With all the rust it is difficult to diagnose the problem

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekky View Post
2) Key also does not work in lock.

The trunk lock my be rusty or frozen and needs to be heavily lubricated with something like WD40 or PB Blaster and allowed to set to loosen it up. Spray it directly into the lock or onto the key while in the lock and attempt to make it work.

The photos show a lot of rust on the mechanism. You should lubricate these also to see if they will move. You need to push down to release the latch (The same way you would use the button)

Last edited by svxcess; 12-26-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

The trunk lock my be rusty or frozen and needs to be heavily lubricated with something like WD40 or PB Blaster and allowed to set to loosen it up. Spray it directly into the lock or onto the key while in the lock and attempt to make it work.

Is the valet key being used here?

Test the key in the glove box to determine if in fact it is the valet key. If it doesn't lock or unlock the glove box you have the valet and need the master key to unlock the trunk or the glove box.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Registered SVX

The seat backs also have a lock that has to be released in the trunk (if it was locked ). So looks like you may have a Val key ,with a tripped cable lock and the Seat back in locked position.