How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Just had tranny rebuilt, and .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan View Post
Based on what?
i would agree. adding an additive to prolong the life of your transmission or improve the quality of the oil in it is one thing, putting in an additive to fix a drive ability issue is another. first fix your problem (because it should work well without it, especially after a rebuild) then decide if you want to put in an additive. i wouldn't change anything on the transmission until the problem is fixed or you may run into warranty problems as a result. "we didn't tell you to put anything in there. you screwed it up" whether it is true or not doesn't matter don't give them an opportunity to blame you.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:35 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
when i had my tranny rebuilt the shop said that the ultimate cause of death for the transmission was a bad speed sensor. since the trans was confused it was trying to apply the transfer clutches all of the time. don't know if this is true or not but since your speedo doesn't work maybe it's worth looking into.
^Makes a lot of sense to me. Was it VSS 1 or 2 that they said was bad?

Step 1: Make sure the TPS is good and calibrated, and make sure the speedo is acting normally.

Step 2: Find an empty parking lot and do some figure 8s.

Step 3: If it's still binding, then consider some additives or post up here for some more advice. Maybe someone more experienced with this specific problem will chime in by then.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 PM

Registered SVX

vss2 if i remember correctly. replaced both but i think vss1 was ok.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

For the record, I worked at a Subaru dealer about 8 years ago. They used the additive, too. I have even recommended it to people. It is not, though, a component that should need to be introduced on a freshly rebuilt transmission.

I don't really think there is any possibly way to compare the multi transfer clutch setup in a subaru automatic transmission to a GM "posi" rear end. That's just silly. That's like saying "Well, brake fluid works great in my brake system, so why shouldnt you put it in your transmission?"

This is my opinion, but it's my belief that it's the correct opinion.
2001 Audi S8
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

How do u calibrate the TBS?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
For the record, I worked at a Subaru dealer about 8 years ago. They used the additive, too. I have even recommended it to people. It is not, though, a component that should need to be introduced on a freshly rebuilt transmission.

I don't really think there is any possibly way to compare the multi transfer clutch setup in a subaru automatic transmission to a GM "posi" rear end. That's just silly. That's like saying "Well, brake fluid works great in my brake system, so why shouldnt you put it in your transmission?"

This is my opinion, but it's my belief that it's the correct opinion.
Did you ever find that it did any harm to the transmission?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

wo wo wo wo wo.....................

Sorry guys but slow down ...way down....

the correct anser is:

Add lubegard platinum atf protectant.

Subaru breaks in their transfer clutch frictions and installs them as a matched set from the break in to avoid having binding after installing a new transfer clutch or one of their reman transmissions.

Nobody else does this so it's normal to have binding on a fresh rebuild using anything other than an already broken in matched set from subaru. The lubegard platinum atf protectant will greatly reduce the binding during break in and it will prolong the life of your transmisison fluid and transmission. If lubegard platinum atf protectant doesn't fix your binding then you have a problem but don't assume you have a problem just because there is binding on a fresh rebuild.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
wo wo wo wo wo.....................

Sorry guys but slow down ...way down....

the correct anser is:

Add lubegard platinum atf protectant.

Subaru breaks in their transfer clutch frictions and installs them as a matched set from the break in to avoid having binding after installing a new transfer clutch or one of their reman transmissions.

Nobody else does this so it's normal to have binding on a fresh rebuild using anything other than an already broken in matched set from subaru. The lubegard platinum atf protectant will greatly reduce the binding during break in and it will prolong the life of your transmisison fluid and transmission. If lubegard platinum atf protectant doesn't fix your binding then you have a problem but don't assume you have a problem just because there is binding on a fresh rebuild.
i respect your knowledge of the transmission and even bought your tcu... however if subaru does something it does not mean that it is right in any way. i have had countless customers return to us after the dealer worked on their car and it seems a lot of what they do is stop gap or cover up measures like additives because the techs don't have the knowledge or time to repair the vehicle without it. will it probably work? yes. should it be necessary? no.
my newly rebuilt transmission has never had any binding. filled with dexron, 90w, and nothing else. similarly if i put motor honey in a vehicle i just adjusted the valves on to quiet them down it will. but it is no substitute for doing it correctly the first time.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX

Everyone keeps sidestepping the question, does an additive harm the transmission??
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Registered SVX

no it won't harm it
Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Registered SVX

Then why not try it first and see if that fixes it?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Registered SVX

unless the bottle contains lots of tiny mechanics that are going to take apart and reassemble your transmission from the inside it will only mask the problem. that is what the people who are saying don't do it are trying to express. if you put it in it will likely fix the symptom but a symptom is just something that allows you to realize there is something wrong. the symptom and the problem are two separate things. much the same as you take cough medicine for a cold. the cough is a symptom you want to correct but the cold is the underlying reason for your cough. pouring sugary syrup down your throat will ease your symptom but will never cure your cold.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Registered SVX

The reason they made this fluid was for positraction clutches that would grab and chatter instead of operating smoothly.

All this fluid does is slightly alter the friction properties of the clutches to correct that.

That is also what it does in the tranny as well.

You can change the clutch packs as many times as you want, but until you happen upon the clutch pack with the right friction qualities your not going to fix the problem. - - - OR you can just put in the additive.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX

Sort of like buying a bran new pair of shoes . you have to brake them in , Just about the time they get broken it they break out. You can put shoe trees in them and stretch them and save a lot of them and pain . Sounds the the mating surfaces are just a little irregular and are grabbing they need to be worn in. Sooo u can live with the grabbing or put in the liquid to hide the grabbing while they wear in . Or live with the soar throat until the cold passes your choice
Old 09-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Sort of like buying a bran new pair of shoes . you have to brake them in , Just about the time they get broken it they break out. You can put shoe trees in them and stretch them and save a lot of them and pain . Sounds the the mating surfaces are just a little irregular and are grabbing they need to be worn in. Sooo u can live with the grabbing or put in the liquid to hide the grabbing while they wear in . Or live with the soar throat until the cold passes your choice
Very constructive comment - oh, by the way it's BREAK in shoes and SORE throat.