Banned

Registered SVX
Re: Stevebsy bumper. Yay or Nay?

here is mine when subafreak had it
Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I think the only thing it needs is the matching line that runs along the stock bumper. It also could use a big front mount intercooler
i am with Tim
Keith
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Any more of the final product? Like different angle views?

Stevebsy, I think your the best candidate for the picture taking for obvious reasons, lol.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 01-27-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I think the only thing it needs is the matching line that runs along the stock bumper. It also could use a big front mount intercooler
I agree.

The fact that it disrupts the line running from the kick panels makes it look out of place and like it was taken from a different car. As far as FMIC...

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Check the lockers of Zeppelin, Earl, Subafreak, Jimsbaby and mine have a few shots I'm sure.

I really don't have a ton more shots of my own.

As to the line, yeah I debated a lot about putting it in or leaving it off. I left it off because the line would have split the bumper part over the big opening and made look kinda odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Any more of the final product? Like different angle views?

Stevebsy, I think your the best candidate for the picture taking for obvious reasons, lol.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Anybody think it sits too high or looks like it sticks out too far in the front there? Maybe it's just me scrutinizing every little detail so I can have my car as perfect as I want it, but I'm not sure if I like the length of the bumper or maybe it could sit lower?

Take a look:

Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

That picture does look akward for some reason, but I'm not sure why.

I suppose the fact the paint isn't 100% match doesn't help. But you are right, there is something about the shape, which is strange because I remember Steve started with a stock bumper and didn't change much on the outside dimensions. So the top, bottom, sides/wheelwells are all the same size/profile as stock - all the stock pieces, trim, mounting bolts, go back on this bumper just like stock, even the thin bottom guard piece. It must just be something of the way it's shaped with the more aggressive bottom lip or maybe it is the lack of the body line? Actually if I squint my eyes and look at that picture it looks a lot better, leading me to believe that it's the color being off and maybe the lack of line as well. But maybe not.

Another thought on the body line: If someone made a similar rear bumper cover and the line was omitted from that as well, I wonder what the overall look would be? You'd have the line in the front and rear where the bumper covers meet the body, and then the lower line in the middle of the car where the bottom mouldings meet up. As the car is stock, you already have a discrepency in that the front and rear covers have both the body line indented AND the line where they fit onto the body. While the middle of the car does not.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

My thought was to have the line just not vanish when it meets the bumper, but have it connect, then fade to the surface as it goes forward a little.. Maybe below the turn signals.. Know what I mean?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
My thought was to have the line just not vanish when it meets the bumper, but have it connect, then fade to the surface as it goes forward a little.. Maybe below the turn signals.. Know what I mean?
That's what I was thinking as well! Totally! Preserve consistency on the side, but then from the front the aggressive look is preserved (I can understand why Steve choose not to include it when looking at the front, it would cut into the big opening and look strange).

Here's a couple poor MS Paint attempts I did:

Steve's front bumper and some kind of future produced rear bumper (maybe like the Cloud rear), also without a body line. You can see they still have the line where they meet the sheetmetal of course. So you have a high line in front, lower line in the middle, and then high line in the rear...

Steve's front bumper with the body line added and stock rear. In this concept it goes all the way around, which if viewed from the front may not look good...

Steve's front bumper with the body line on the side, then fading into a smooth front. Could work with the stock rear bumper as in this picture, or if a rear bumper were ever developed, it could also employ the same concept (body line at the wheel and then fading into smoothness before wrapping around the rear).

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 01-28-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I really really like the bottom one.. The line that stops below the headlights.. It looks normal.. Looks like it should be there. Then again, I imagine that you could get rid of all the lines all together when you were to repaint the car, right?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Anybody think it sits too high or looks like it sticks out too far in the front there? Maybe it's just me scrutinizing every little detail so I can have my car as perfect as I want it, but I'm not sure if I like the length of the bumper or maybe it could sit lower?

Take a look:

it looks like you took the rear bumper and flipped it onto the front, then erased the line and exhaust tips....

So Steve, I'd ask what happened to the side skirt project but I don't want to make you disappear for another 2 years. hehe

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

He does a very nice job at what he does, but personally, its not my thing. I like the stock look

Oh and big wings... we all know what happens when you add that

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I'm a partial fan, I like the way it looks from the head on view, but I still feel like the front end of the car is too pointy I personally prefer the K-staff bumper
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I used to think the same thing.. Now my opinion has changed.. I personally believe the K-staff bumper no longer has the appeal it used to. It'll just end up blending you into the crowd with the rest of the modified cars. Plus it increases drag.. It also kills the curve of the vehicle. If you intend to use the K-staff front bumper, follow up with the Alcyone side skirts and top it off with a rear bumper mod.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
I used to think the same thing.. Now my opinion has changed.. I personally believe the K-staff bumper no longer has the appeal it used to. It'll just end up blending you into the crowd with the rest of the modified cars. Plus it increases drag.. It also kills the curve of the vehicle. If you intend to use the K-staff front bumper, follow up with the Alcyone side skirts and top it off with a rear bumper mod.
I agree about the skirts, but as far as the rear... I think it looks fine as it is and is quite square like in my opinion. as far as increase drag... I disagree that that would necessarily be a bad thing.

I think it would be a good thing because it's forcing the air to move faster up and over the top of the vehicle and the way the bottom is shaped it would split air where it is needed and it would increase the downforce slightly and lower the movement of air across the vehicle. With the pointy front it makes it more like a wing and allows too much flow underneath the car. And as far as looking like a tuner or any other modified car or other car.... I don't think that's a bad thing. It doesn't make it a ricer.... it's not like its ridiculously over extravagant and unneeded curves.

Last edited by Johnybeas; 02-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.