Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Legacy Issues

Maybe someone here with some mechanical background can help me out. Basically, my Legacy is undriveable. It's been sort of a progressing matter, getting worse up until the past two or three days where the car is not driveable.

Car: 1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD 2.2l MPFI 151,000 miles

Symptoms (all occur at or close to normal operating temperature; none occur when car is cold):
Unable to idle
Randomly dies out while driving along
Bogs to the point of stalling out when trying to pull out onto a road (ie, I press on the gas and the car just stalls)
After said point of stalling, the car will refire, but then just shut off
At some points, it is completely unresponsive to the throttle (ie, I press on the gas and the car does nothing...except shut off; part of the shutting off at road speeds)

What I have replaced: Knock Sensor, Coolant Temp. Sensor, Plug Wires, Fuel Filter, Plugs.

I have reset the ECU. And part of the reset is that you have to make it 'relearn', yet when it gets to operating temp, the car just stalls out when it's idling there (car is supposed to just idle until it reaches operating temp to 'relearn'). The car did throw a code before I reset the ECU for the MAF (which I have on order), but since the reset, it hasn't thrown that code.

So, what's wrong with it? I hope that the MAF fixes it, but I'm hitting up all the forums I'm on to see what other people may have in mind (here especially because there are some ASE certified techs on the board).

Thanks in advance,
Jason
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 AM
building more AK47's

I had the same problems after I replaced the timing belt. Found out I was one tooth off on timing had it fixed and problems went away.I hope this helps
Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
intresting thing about these cars... unplug the MAF and see if the problems go away... (it will go in to a fail safe which runs off of set paramaters insteed of what the MAF is telling it) and check to see if your air filter is in right... trust me i have seen these problems before because the air filter was in wrong...
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
bad fuel pump? I had a car that would run fine when cold but after some use the think was a total dog. The FP would lose pres. after it was run for awhile and...well you get the point.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Locker Link Solution

I'd just wait for the maf... many 2.2s won't even start when they go bad.
I can't remember if what suby fan says is true, but you could give it a shot. I think last time I tried that on a 2.2 it didn't work, but I could be mistaken. That car needed a maf, and acted as you described... good used maf made it run like a top again!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 07-23-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
intresting thing about these cars... unplug the MAF and see if the problems go away... (it will go in to a fail safe which runs off of set paramaters insteed of what the MAF is telling it) and check to see if your air filter is in right... trust me i have seen these problems before because the air filter was in wrong...
I'm pretty sure I tried this and the computer just threw a CEL and ran like crap. I mean, it's worth giving a shot again if it would let me drive the car at least without having to worry about it stalling out. ::EDIT:: Tried without MAF. Car wouldn't even idle. It would start all right, and unless I hit it to go on low idle, it would just shut off. If I did hit it on low idle, it would idle for a little while, but then eventually would shut off.

I thought fuel pump as well at first. But, I'll be damned if it isn't one of these sensors. I've been told though that usually, if the fuel pump is crap, it just stops working, it doesn't kind of crap out on you, but I may have one like you have.

I really hope it's not a timing belt. I can't afford that job.
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
-Obi Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Manarius; 07-23-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
One of my old GL wagons acted like that. The cat was so clogged that when it got hot, it completely blocked off the exhaust...

Loosen the bolts in the exhaust in front of the cat, that will allow the exhaust gas to get out even if the cat is clogged. It will be loud, but it's a cheap way to see if that is the problem.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
One of my old GL wagons acted like that. The cat was so clogged that when it got hot, it completely blocked off the exhaust...

Loosen the bolts in the exhaust in front of the cat, that will allow the exhaust gas to get out even if the cat is clogged. It will be loud, but it's a cheap way to see if that is the problem.
+1 for this. This would be the next thing on my list too! after MAF

In fact one of my 2.2 soobs needs a cat now, and acts like it wants to stall while leaving the driveway. I just have not had the time to deal with it yet.

it should have thrown a code for it before getting that bad, but who knows. Make this your next item to check for sure!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Last edited by Speedklix; 07-24-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
+1 for this. This would be the next thing on my list too! after MAF

In fact one of my 2.2 soobs needs a cat now, and acts like it wants to stall while leaving the driveway. I just have not had the time to deal with it yet.

it should have thrown a code for it before getting that bad, but who knows. Make this your next item to check for sure!
Ok. I'll try that after the MAF if that doesn't fix the problem. I mean...perhaps that could be the issue if the problem got progressively worse(like, I noticed a small power thing back over a month ago, but it went away until within the past two weeks). Weird thing is though is that I haven't really noticed a decrease in Exhaust pressure...the flow at the muffler is still pretty good.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Registered SVX
Seems to have been the MAF. I put a known good one on and the car drives like brand new.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Locker Link Solution

I figured...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Seems to have been the MAF. I put a known good one on and the car drives like brand new.
Woot! <--can't believe I actually typed that
Glad to here you're rolling again. It is amazing how touchy the 2.2 is with the MAF!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: