SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Question Flexplate cracking!

Having just starting hearing the very familiar sounds of a cracked flexplate after less than 1k miles after replacing the "donut" flexplate that was in BillStock v3.5, I was wondering what other's experiences have been with the 4HEAT/EG33 flexplate. Is there a certain number of miles after which they will tend to crack? Are there any known contributors to the plate cracking (too much longitudinal play in the engine crank? slop in the trans? ) I'm seriously considering having a "beefed up" version welded together
-Bill (kicking himself for not installing a brand new flexplate....)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Bill, sounds like dumb luck (or ill-luck) in this case especially since you installed a used flexplate as a replacement. Even though the SVX flexplate isn't the beefiest thing in the world, it has still held up to the power of LAN's and svxfiles' s/c SVXi!

From what I've seen, they tend to go out between 130-150K miles on several SVXs.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Bill, sounds like dumb luck (or ill-luck) in this case especially since you installed a used flexplate as a replacement. Even though the SVX flexplate isn't the beefiest thing in the world, it has still held up to the power of LAN's and svxfiles' s/c SVXi!

From what I've seen, they tend to go out between 130-150K miles on several SVXs.

Chike,
compared to the plates I'm used to behind sb chevy engines, our flexplate is a piece of aluminum foil . Adding the through holes only makes matters worse. I'm guessing the Subaru engineers were really looking to smooth out the driveline shock when the trans shifts, at the expense of life span under "non-stock" conditions. This is why I started this thread. I'm guessing any modification that makes the trans shift "harder" (small car kit, Tom K's resistor mod, etc.) will inherently put more load on the flexplate. I don't think LAN's car has had anything done to the way it shifts (but then I could be wrong).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Think it's possible to stack 2 of them together or would there be clearance issues?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Location?

Out of curiosity, where is it cracking?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Think it's possible to stack 2 of them together or would there be clearance issues?
Tom K and I were discussing welding/riveting on a "washer" that has a diameter of at least 2x the current one (since the "knife edge" is where the flexplate flexes against the current "washer")

-Bill

My Locker
Old 06-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Absolute #1 cause of flexplate cracking is the lack of alignment dowels between the block and transmission. The bolts don't align the two together, the dowels do. When the dowels are missing the crankshaft and torque convertor are not spinning on the same axis.

#2 'Hanging' the trans from the flexplate during install/remoaval. This bends the flexplate and causes wobble.

#3 Distorted convertor face from excessive lock-up clutch pressure or poorly rebuilt convertor (off-center stub.)
Old 06-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Out of curiosity, where is it cracking?

Chuck,
almost immediately below the "washer" plate that goes over the flexplate and the bolt go through to attach the entire assembly to the end of the crank. While not a perfect circular crack, it's very close to one.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 06-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Absolute #1 cause of flexplate cracking is the lack of alignment dowels between the block and transmission. The bolts don't align the two together, the dowels do. When the dowels are missing the crankshaft and torque convertor are not spinning on the same axis.

#2 'Hanging' the trans from the flexplate during install/remoaval. This bends the flexplate and causes wobble.

#3 Distorted convertor face from excessive lock-up clutch pressure or poorly rebuilt convertor (off-center stub.)
Beav,
Damn, damn, damn! Count my car as another victim of #1. One of the alignment dowels was actually missing when we pulled the trans, so I'm guessing only having one pin contributed to the first plate cracking. Figured the 4 bolts handled the alignment, so we didn't dig up another dowel when we installed the latest plate....crap!
Thanks so much for your insight on this...won't make this mistake again!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 06-23-2006, 09:33 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I just now saw this thread and I must add that Bills engine/trans has had missing dowels before.
The last time we were in there we added the propper dowels, and made the best of the stripped engine threads as we could.
When I last spoke with LAN, I commented on the flex plate upgrade/fix, and of Bills continuing trans/motor mounting problems.
My idea for solving this type of power transfer problem is to use the two dowel holes as BOLT holes, giving six, where there was only four.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Just be careful when you are trying to make a fix... Welding can weaken the thin metal substantially. A rivet might work well to secure a larger washer, just be sure the plate is flat. I feel that you have a large amount of crank walk at thise point, might want to look into it

Tom
Old 06-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The problem isn't the washer and using a heavier one won't change anything. Usually the broken portion of the flexplate is the identical size of the end of the crankshaft. It just seems that most washers are the same size, but not always.

Think about it, if it were truly just torque ripping the plate why would it only happen in one spot and in such a nice little circle? Why is Bill so lucky? (Sorry, Bill)

A heavier metal flexplate will probably only break exactly the same or cause the convertor shell to break. Or maybe worse - possibly transmit enough motion and vibration to the crank end and crack it (seen it happen to a 318 Dodge van), ruin the front pump housing and bushing or cause the bellhousing to break (seen that happen too.)

What I'm trying to get at is I think you're trying to fool a problem with a work-around and I'm afraid that will become more expensive in the long run. Something is out of alignment, whether it's missing dowels, a bad convertor (run-out, balance), improper engine or bellhousing face(s) (not really unusual) or possibly even a bad input shaft or poorly mounted front pump housing (or whatever is at the front of a Subie tranny )
Old 06-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
The problem isn't the washer and using a heavier one won't change anything. Usually the broken portion of the flexplate is the identical size of the end of the crankshaft. It just seems that most washers are the same size, but not always.

Think about it, if it were truly just torque ripping the plate why would it only happen in one spot and in such a nice little circle? Why is Bill so lucky? (Sorry, Bill)

A heavier metal flexplate will probably only break exactly the same or cause the convertor shell to break. Or maybe worse - possibly transmit enough motion and vibration to the crank end and crack it (seen it happen to a 318 Dodge van), ruin the front pump housing and bushing or cause the bellhousing to break (seen that happen too.)

What I'm trying to get at is I think you're trying to fool a problem with a work-around and I'm afraid that will become more expensive in the long run. Something is out of alignment, whether it's missing dowels, a bad convertor (run-out, balance), improper engine or bellhousing face(s) (not really unusual) or possibly even a bad input shaft or poorly mounted front pump housing (or whatever is at the front of a Subie tranny )
Beav,
The more I think about this, the more I agree with you Having a thicker flex plate probably wouldn't hurt (I've measured and you can only double up the thickness and still bolt it to the TC), yet - as Tom J noted - you'd have to be careful on how you attached the additional metal, and, I agree it would only delay the eventual same failure mode we're seeing now. With any misalignment of the trans and engine comes a off-axis loading on the flexplate, which means that it loads against the end of the crank. Given that the assembly is rotating, this explains (I believe) the fact that the crack ends up being almost perfectly circular in nature.
So, we live and learn and, hopefully, don't repeat our mistakes
Thanks again for your insights!!
-Bill (off to get a new flexplate and alignment dowels )

My Locker
Old 06-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Beav,
Damn, damn, damn! Count my car as another victim of #1. One of the alignment dowels was actually missing when we pulled the trans, so I'm guessing only having one pin contributed to the first plate cracking. Figured the 4 bolts handled the alignment, so we didn't dig up another dowel when we installed the latest plate....crap!
Thanks so much for your insight on this...won't make this mistake again!
-Bill
How many miles did the flexplate last without the dowel?
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
the first flexplate had around 40k on it before its loading condition changed...I got the second flexplate from Tom J, so I don't know how many miles it had on it.
-Bill

My Locker