How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
Tranny gone!!!!!!!!!!

I think my transmission problem started during Dec. When my 4WD stopped working. After searching on this network I found out that the 4wd failure was due to a broken transfer clutch plate, or a solenoid. I didn't fix the problem, I just put it in FWD. then last week after driving in normal conditions(the car was not in FWD when this happened), no signs of the transmission acting bad or naything else the car starts jerking really bad. Almost as if there was something stuck on the tires that weren't letting the tires spin freely. The faster I tried to drive the harder the car jerk and the harder it vibrated. I got it to the mechanic and he said the transmission is broken (the differential inside the transmission he called it). Should I get a second opinion from another mechanic? The only reason I asked is because the tranny in my car was replaced by the previous owner directly from the dealer at around 55000 miles. The car currently has about 106000. Also the spedometer stop working as soon as this problem happened, it was at zero all the time. The only thing that moved was the RPMs. I turned off the ignition when this problem started and then I turn it back on with no starting problems at all.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
differential

your seals on the inner axles probobly crapped out and drained all your gear oil. therfore burning up your bearings and now causing the gears to deteriorate. You will need to replace the gears and bearings, while you are at it, fix the awd clutch u busted. the reason i know this is because your carrier was moving so much u busted up your speedo gear and therefore it reads 0mph. Ur mech is right, don't be surprised if they need to replace your speedo set up. If you want i have sone extra diff parts hanging around, so if you need them i would sell them to ya, but it depends on what u need. pm for more info. ur mech is dead on w/ the diagnosis though.

P.S. did hear a loud whine or moan when driving at 45+ mph before the melt down, it didn't need to be that loud though i wait to hear back from you
Old 03-02-2004, 10:19 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
No offense to any of you but if you can not fix the car when it dies (before it dies), you should park it till you can fix it. If you can't fix it and yet try to drive it in any other mode (till it dies), there is something wrong here and perhaps, SVX may not be for you at this time.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Maniac modifier

hey, not everyone is a mechanic, so not everyone knows that the whine is a bad thing. Some people need to understand that people drive cars for transportation, unlike myself that drives for shear pleasure. not everyone can diagnose a sound like another so don't say things like that. The svx is for anyone who ahs pockets to keep it running, or the know how to fix it. I am 19 i am a full time student and a part time waitor. I can do almost anything to a car, but i did not know what the whine was in my car untill i did a diagnosis. don't trash the people that are less informed. that is what this forum is for, learning
Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 PM

I was not trashing anyone. We have cover the topic more than enough time that these cars takes more than most cars on the road to keep them running. If you find it offensive, you are more than welcome to pm me and we can discuss on this.

Trust me, I have spent more than most people here have on SVXes. But anyone should know that if there are any form of lights blinking on the panel that should not, that's not good for the car. Also, if there is any weird whine or grind, that's not good either. And that goes for any make and models for cars, trucks, boats, planes etc. And of course, if you have a AWD car and when the manual CLEARLY state not to drive the car for prolong distances on FWD mode and you do it for 4 months, you are going to get a weid look from me. A well taken care of SVX makes a good care for transportation. However, if you ignore the problem (esp when you are aware of it), you are abusing the car and that's a whole different issue.

My car currently leaks some tranny fluid. I drive it once in a while. But I know where it is coming from and I know it's not going to kill the tranny. Many who has dead tranny/diff know they have a leaky diff or tranny but could care less to have a look (take it to a mechanic).

Having killed a tranny a couple of times and two diff in my 3 SVXes I've owned, I can tell you that diff whine and tranny whine are different. Also, engine noise and bearing noises are different too. When you drive a car, you should know your car. Your should check your fluid levels and lights once a week. Who here does that?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k

Last edited by Seraph; 03-02-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 PM

Re: Tranny gone!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXgarcia
Also the spedometer stop working as soon as this problem happened, it was at zero all the time. The only thing that moved was the RPMs. I turned off the ignition when this problem started and then I turn it back on with no starting problems at all.

Your diff is dead. There is a nylon gear in the diff that connects to a speedo and that little sucker is all chewed up. Do yourself a favour. Don't drive that car anymore. Tow it to a reputable shop and fix it. You are looking at about 4k to fix both tranny and diff. Your tranny will have to be rebuilt and your diff will have to rebuilt as well.

As for getting parts for the diff, make sure you get a whole set. The gears in the diff are not regular gears. They are paired for life and you need a matching set. If you want pics of what a chewed up diff looks like, I can take some photos for you.

L
Old 03-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Maniac modifier

oki guess i misunderstood what you were trying to say. i always check my fluids everytime i go to get gas. it burns time while im filling up.

But if your diff fluid is low it is probobly that. i suggest u take it to a mech and get it confirmed and fixed asap.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
oki guess i misunderstood what you were trying to say. i always check my fluids everytime i go to get gas. it burns time while im filling up.

But if your diff fluid is low it is probobly that. i suggest u take it to a mech and get it confirmed and fixed asap.

Actually, it's my tranny fluid. At the recent diff replacement, the tranny had to come down and worked on as well and the morons at the shop (although I've threatened them not to touch my working tranny) decided to drain the tranny by unbolting the oil pan. Now they have to put it back and they over tightened the oil pan and screwed up the gasket. I just have to order the gasket. Everynight, I get a few drops but the fluid level is still ok since they over filled the tranny.

That's why I said reputable shop. You might have to pay alittle more but if you have to redo here and there, it's worth it. I was out of my car for 2 weeks and the best part is I could have done all the work myself and get it done right the first time if I had a lift.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Maniac modifier

i also had to drop my pan and when i did it i kept my old gasket. when you get the new gasket get some high temp rtv and run a thin bead along the top and bottom of the gasket and rub it into a thin coat. when you bolt it up this will create a greater seal and it will never leak. it just a good precaution. by the way i know a genious that owns his own reputable tranny shop, it really helps to get good advice.