Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 09:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Naim
Radio LCD is dark... Where can I get a replacement bulb

There seems to be two bulbs that are dead on the radio (factory) one being the one that lights up the LCD..
I want to get a replacement bulbs to fix this.
Also is the bulb soldered in.. Or can it be pulled out.
(I had a hell of a time pulling on the bulb from Doug's radio that is already out. )

Thanks
Naim
Old 02-10-2004, 02:48 PM
JLittell

I don't think you can really fix it unless you really know what your doing. I sent mine out to there guys:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/
Old 02-10-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
I don't think you can really fix it unless you really know what your doing. I sent mine out to there guys:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/
I looked at the head unit apart, being the bulb is burnt out... I have no problem taking the radio apart (quite easy to do) and replacing the bulb (even if it means soldering it out and a new one on).
I can't see paying someone ~$80 or how much they charge when I can do it myself. Especially with a $.50 part. I guess I know what I am doing.

Just need to know where to get the part.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 PM
A Little bit less Junior

The radio and CD bulbs are not really designed to be replaceable, but can be done. I didn't want to remove the whole face printed circuit board since it would involve a rather difficult de-soldering procedure. See my locker for pix, what I did was carefully but firmly pull the plastic bulb bases right off the circuit board by breaking the thin soldered pins ( at the tops of the bases) that extend thru the board. Pulled off the bulb and its condom replaced it with a new one (wrapping the wire back to about the same position on the base as original) and then setting base back between the two pins. Then a very light touch with a drop of solder hanging on the tip of a fine iron to each pin and it's in! they all work fine but the original bulbs seemed to be higher intensity than the replacements I got so you may want to compare brightness with originals before soldering.

Rob

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Rob, do you remember what bulbs did you use???
12 volt... The guy at www.carstereohelp.com said if they did not seem bright enough using a 12 volt bulb, to use a 9 volt.

I will be trying it out soon.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:25 AM
A Little bit less Junior

I went to an electronics supply store and just got clear 12v. "grain of wheat" bulbs. They come in several colors but the green was too green to match, so I just used the original "condom" for color. They came 2 to a bag for about $2.50 and had approx. 2 inch leads.

9v. would be briter but will burn out sooner. You might want to compare brightness by connecting the new bulb to a 12v. source ( I used a lead acid 12v. Video Camera battery...my voltmeter showed 12.3 volts even though it's about 10 years old), and then touching the leads to a good original bulb to compare. You can do it with bulbs still in place, if you're careful, and several bulbs on the circuit board will light, not all though, since some are on different circuits. Don't ask how I discovered that!!

Hope this helps

Rob

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.