IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-18-2003, 06:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Broken window clip

Hey guys and girls,
Kelli's broke her window clip (the plastic piece that holds the windows and the cables in her car) today. Does anyone have a spare piece? Mike, this is your field. If you can help, pm me and I'll give you her number or call her pls.

Thanks

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-18-2003, 07:48 PM

If she calls Jason at 1stSubaru...he has them at a warehouse with 1 day delivery to him. The price for new is like $7.56 and he cut the shipping charges for me to only $3 because the part weighs almost nothing. I got the parts in about 4 days (not bad for WA to FL).

all that said, I have a spare, but for me to ship overnight would cost more than the $10 bucks, shipping by US mail takes us back to might as well go through 1stSubaru.

If there's another idea, let me know, I do have a new part sitting on a shelf (bought just in case after one side broke).
Old 05-18-2003, 08:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Do you have the part number for that?

Thanks

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Do you have the part number for that?

Thanks

L
62101PA081 a Sleeve-Lock Regulator

you're welcome
Old 05-18-2003, 10:44 PM
deadeye95

Until you get that clip, please tape that window in the up position with clear packing tape. Looks much better to the occasional admirer of the SVX.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 AM

Thanks Lwin for the post...

i got a few choices thus far,

i went to a dealer this morning and they quoted me for like 2 bucks for the part and they could have it tomorrow. i don't know if the pictures are the same for the manuals, but he thinks it was #3 on his...

or i am going to my friend's house tomorrow who has a donor car. i might be able to get it off, wondering how i would do that and if that will work

Mike if you can give me a shout, i would appresiate it

or i can call junk yards in NJ, i know 2 of them have doors intack

i kept the window up with zip ties, actually, my b/f did...it is supose to rain this week.

is this hard to do myself, do i need any special tools? a step by step would be nice with pics...if anyone has them...or just a written step by step for removing and replacing would be wonderful

Kelli
Thanks
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:50 PM

Kelli,

It's pretty easy. a couple of screwdrivers is all that's required - one medium phillips, one small flat.

1. remove the two screws under the felt at the armrest.
2. remove plastic panel under door handle (this is what I used the small flat screwdriver for).
3. remove the screw under the plastic panel you just took off.
4. remove the two screws at front edge of door.
5. grasp door panel at bottom and pull away.
6. lift door panel off the door, be careful not to "yank" away as the courtesy light and power windows need to be disconnected.
7. pull back clear plastic enough to see in big hole in metal door (may have to remove the armrest support - two more screws).
8. if the window and the wire (wire looks like a bicycle cable) is not somewhere around half up/down, need to press window switch to get wire in right place. You can tell when there's a little rectangular metal part - that looks like it's joining the wire - is positioned so it's in the middle of the opening of which you pulled back the plastic sheet.
9. disconnect door wiring at connectors and move door panel someplace safe for a moment.
10. Get clip ready and move window up/down as appropriate until a T shape hole in the lower part of the frame is positioned at the same height as the metal rectangle on the wire I mentioned before.
11. position new clip (actually called a sleeve-lock regulator) over the metal rectangle riding on the wire. Position the clip so the opening of the clip is facing into door - the metal part fits in the clip - really only one way. Push clip in far enough so the slits in it can move into the legs of the T-shape hole in the lower window frame. Slide clip down leg of the T until the thin tab on the clip snaps into place on the big side of the T. (this sounds bad I think, but really will be pretty obvious once you're in the door).
12. put it all back together.
13. not unlucky, because now it's fixed.

I'm not the best at written descriptions, but this job really is easier than most. anyone with the aptitude to change the oil could handle this.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:36 PM

thanks Lee, but what if the car is totally dead...do i have to take the door apart to get the piece i need?

Kelli

again, good directions!
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:41 PM

Hadn't thought about a dead car. If it's in a junk yard (and nobody is looking) you could just cut the wire with a good pair of snips. That would let the window drop down enough to get out the clip - I assume that's your target part?

In all cases the door panel has to come off. If you can't cut the wire, then I don't know of any other way except to start disassembly of the whole regulator/motor system. Anybody else got an idea?
Old 05-19-2003, 08:47 PM

The thing about this car is that my friend has had it for years, it was originally a tranny donor car...but she decided to keep it for other things...i don't know if she wants the window dropped...it offers protection from the elements with it on and all. could it be possiable to pull it down manually? if i open the paneling and pull it from there? i don't want to break the cable either...just in case that is needed one day...

and could i get directions on how to take the donor clip off?

Kelli

thanks for all your help
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 05-20-2003, 11:33 AM

Since it's a friend doing you a favor....I'd probably try sticking in a battery long enough to move the window to a middle position. Anywhere about half down will work to get to the clip. Then after the clip is gone you can manually move the window up to seal (maybe tape in place?). Other than that I don't know a way to manually lower the window with a good motor/wire/clip/window frame.

I took a photo of a new clip that I've attached (or tried to anyway).

to get the old one off...take the small flat screw driver mentioned before. put it behind the small extension that's coming off on the left side of my photo. That will allow the whole block to slide up the leg of the "T" it fits into until it will just pull out.

I showed the inside view in my photo. that's so you would see where the metal rectangle I was talking about fits into the clip. when you go back to install, the side shown faces into the door. Of course you should see all that when you get the door panel off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (62.2 KB, 888 views)
Old 05-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Network Design Administrator

if the price you got was two something, its the wrong part... I bought 2 of these before I found the correct part number on this site. I cannot remember where and I dont really have the time to look for it right now, but it should be around $10 for the part.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:26 PM

we tried for about two hours to get the window up, and we couldn't. we tried getting the battery going, we couldn't. this car is torn apart. i tried calling a place in iowa, but they said that they would only sell me the whole door...forget that...

i really need some help here guys...if someone has an extra they would part with...or can give me the address or phone number to 1rst subaru, i would be greatful

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 05-20-2003, 12:48 PM

Ask for Jason in parts at 1stSubaru at: 866-528-5282 between
7:30am - 5:30pm Pacific Standard Time. When they answer the phone it's actually Auburn Subaru so don't let that throw you - 1stSubaru is their web page address. Give him the part number I quoted above. It's $7.56. They normally charge $6.95 minimum shipping, but tell him he just sent me the same part for $3.00 shipping using regular mail since it's so tiny.

I'm willing to ship mine to you if you want, but by the time I make it to the post office, etc you're about as good off as just calling Jason.

Let me know if you do want me to ship (depending on his input). I could probably make it to the PO tomorrow (no promises though, unfortunately my job has to come first), then like however long until it gets to your place.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:15 PM

ok, just got off the phone with Jason from 1stsubaru, a really nice guy. he is ordering the part and shipping it out to me...gave me a really good deal...give the company props, and i will order from them again if needs be!

i also talked to a Greg from the Morristown subaru, he was a really nice guy and took his time to actually come on this site and looked at the pic that Lee posted just to make sure that it would be the right part. the only thing is that they didn't have it in stock and it would have taken longer to get it..sorry Greg, but if i need anything, i shall call again

Kelli

i also talked to a guy at the subaru in Newton...he was alright too

3 dealers in 2 days...and they were all great...guess i am lucky...or it could be that i am a girl

thanks guys for all of your help!
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"