Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM

littlefuse holder Q:

How is the littlefuse holder mounted to the fuse box in the engine bay?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: littlefuse holder Q:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
How is the littlefuse holder mounted to the fuse box in the engine bay?
I actually made a bracket out of thin aluminum which slips over the end of the fusebox and is held in place by the snap-on fusebox cover.

The Fuse holder is pop-riveted to the bracket. Put the rivet in from the rear and compress it from the front. Check the photos closely.

Refer to this post HERE

It is a part of the "Alternator Wires" thread. Click HERE

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM

OK so i could take duct work tin. paint it black so it doesnt look like i rednecked it. drill two holes for the megafuse holder placing it on the tin and marking it with a nail so i know where to drill the holes put rivits in the tin not in the fuse box. so i dont drill in to my fuse box nice!!! i didnt want to drill into my factory fuse box anyway i like to keep things as a orginal as i can!!!!!
Q" do you bend it so it bottoms out inside the fuse box for stablity.
or do you just bend enough so it just catches?
have you had any problems with it radaling? or staying in place?

how long does this mod take from start to finish?
Do you crimp your end connectors or do you sauder? i plan on cutting the lenth of the cables i need first, then doing the crimping or saudering outside of the engine bay...
the factory negative ground cable is no longer need? and have to strip the negitive battery connector off with out damageing the copper what works best for doing that?
why did you mount the new 4 gauge ground cable to the horn bracket and not where you remove the factory ground cable?

thanks again for all your knowlege that you bring to this form...

Last edited by kjoyes; 10-11-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 PM

oh ya sorry with the bunbardment of same old questions will try to do a seach before posting!!!!!!
I plan on doing this mod with the factory alt. untill i get enough money to buy the 160amp one.
but it will give me peace of mind when i go out to start my car in the cold winters of minnesota.

Last edited by kjoyes; 10-10-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
OK so I could take duct work tin. paint it black so it doesn't look like I rednecked it. Drill two holes for the megafuse holder placing it on the tin and marking it with a nail so i know where to drill the holes put rivets in the tin, not in the fuse box. so I don't drill in to my fuse box nice!!! i didn't want to drill into my factory fuse box anyway I like to keep things as a original as i can!!!!! Make the bracket first and test fit to make sure it fits correctly. Put the fusebox cover on. Mark and drill the location for the holes.Then you can paint it ith some flat black paint and rivet tke fuse holder to it,

Do you bend it so it bottoms out inside the fuse box for stability, or do you just bend enough so it just catches? Doesn't have to bottom out completely. Make it out of heavy cardboard and trim to get the correct fit

Have you had any problems with it rattling? or staying in place? Does not rattle. The weight of the megafuse and the cables, plus the tight bend in the metal bracket where it slips over the fuse box keeps it quiet.It is held in place by the fusebox cover

How long does this mod take from start to finish? Completely variable. For everything, took a few hours. Take your time and don't rush.

I plan on cutting the length of the cables i need first, then doing the crimping outside of the engine bay...
I crimp everything. Do not solder. Test fit all the wires for length, including the terminals. If you don't have a hydraulic crimper, take your cables to a local battery shop and have them crimp the connectors on for you. Do not try to use pliers or a hammer.

The factory negative ground cable is no longer needed? and have to strip the negative battery connector off with out damaging the copper what works best for doing that? Not sure of the question. You can leave the negative connection alone and add the two new ground wires to it

Why did you mount the new 4 gauge ground cable to the horn bracket and not where you remove the factory ground cable? It is a heavier mounting point, with a bigger bolt for the ground cable. Makes a better ground

Thanks again for all your knowledge that you bring to this forum...
Just read the directions carefully and do things in order and you will be fine. Again, read the alternator wiring upgrade procedure HERE

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 AM

I just finished up this modification... and I considered doing what SVXCESS did with his fuse holder.

But I decided to do something slightly differently.

I mounted the fuse holder to my battery tray. (the plastic shell that the battery sits in, that has sides toward the engine, and toward the front of the car.

SVXCESS's car doesn't show that he is using one with his optima, and I imagine some SVXs may no longer have their original battery trays.

But if you do, I can tell you how I mounted mine. I have pictures, and I'll try to get them posted up tonight.

I positioned the fuse holder vertically on the outside of the tray wall. It is centered vertically, and mounted just slightly forward (toward the front of the car) of where the positive battery post is. There is a shape-change on the tray wall, and I aligned the fuse holder to sit right along side that.

It basically fits on the car between the oil filler cap, and the positive battery terminal.

Basically it is as easy as mocking up it's placement on the car, to make sure there is clearance...

Scribe the mounting holes of the fuse holder onto the plastic of the battery shell, and drill them out. (of course off the car, without the battery in the tray. )

I then fixed the fuse holder to the battery tray wall with nylon license-plate frame bolts and nuts. Nice and non-conductive, and plenty stable enough to hold the fuse holder in place, and removable later, if necessary.

I fed the bolts from the battery side of the tray, with the nuts tightened down on the fuse-holder. The thin bolt heads don't impede the battery's placement at all.

The 4-gauge wire from the alternator fastens to the top fuse post, and then I made a ~14" 4-gauge lead from the bottom fuse post, that turns and comes up to meet the positive battery terminal lug, along with the starter lead, and the smaller lead to supply the fuse box for the rest of the circuits in the car.

I'll try to upload my clearer build-pics later.

The currently attached photo shows the finished work. The fuse holder is not visible, but it is down along side the battery between the battery hold down, and the positive terminal, in the space between those and the oil fill cap, and the AC pipe. There is clearance there without touching the corner of the valve cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AltFinWeb-BF.jpg (113.2 KB, 200 views)

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 10-11-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

This is a drawing of the rear of the bracket that I made. I could not post it in the alternator wires thread as I had the maximum number of attachments.

Inside the gap in the front of the fusebox there is a thin, raised vertical rib of plastic that will keep the bracket from sliding down completely. Just cut a small notch on the bracket to slide down on either side of this strip. This will also act as a key and keep the bracket from sliding side-to-side when the fuse box cover is attached.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracket_back.jpg (4.4 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 10-12-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 AM

I have another question about the megafuse holder, fuse is between altenator and the battery.
I want to add subs do i still have to put a inline fuse on the amp power wire going to the trunk?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

It wouldn't hurt to. If I were you, I would. Just in case there would be a short anywhere, that second fuse would protect your battery, amp, or both. Fuses are cheap, and can save you lots of unwanted consequences.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.