How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Registered SVX
Radar/Laser Detector w/scrambler

Anyone have or had one of these, and know if they really work. This is supposedly the latest technology on radar laser detector with a built in scrambler.

http://www.radar-detector-superstore...newrmrade.html
Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Radar/Laser Detector w/scrambler

It is my understanding that active scramblers are illegal in most states, that being said.... if a cop tries to clock your speed, and his display blanks out, he will know somethings up and pull you over anyways. Radar readings are only one way to get a speeding ticket.... they also convict on an officers "estimation" of your speed, which they are trained on in the academy. Id save your money and just drive safely

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
they also convict on an officers "estimation" of your speed, which they are trained on in the academy.
Depends on your location. A while back a cop was stopped driving his own car , radar clocked at 190 KPH. They went to court and his defense was that his car is governed to less than 190 (Chevy Impala), so the radar couldn't be reading accurately. The case was dismissed, no charges. I would think that going nearly twice the speed limit should be pretty obvious, but short of irrefutable evidence it's often pretty easy to get the case thrown out.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Anyone have or had one of these, and know if they really work. This is supposedly the latest technology on radar laser detector with a built in scrambler.

http://www.radar-detector-superstore...newrmrade.html
Alot depends on the laws of your State.
Also, sometimes it matters if the unit is passive or active on the scrambling.
A unit that combines both should have the laser emitters/sensors down by the license plate because thats where you get the best return from.
Heres RMR's FAQ,
http://rockymountainradar.com/faqs
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Depends on your location. A while back a cop was stopped driving his own car , radar clocked at 190 KPH. They went to court and his defense was that his car is governed to less than 190 (Chevy Impala), so the radar couldn't be reading accurately. The case was dismissed, no charges. I would think that going nearly twice the speed limit should be pretty obvious, but short of irrefutable evidence it's often pretty easy to get the case thrown out.
A Cop?
A member of the club... Need I say more?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

+1 with Keith here.

Because he was police the court was lenient and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

It is highly unlikely they would give the same leniency to you in similar circumstances.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
It is my understanding that active scramblers are illegal in most states, that being said.... if a cop tries to clock your speed, and his display blanks out, he will know somethings up and pull you over anyways. Radar readings are only one way to get a speeding ticket.... they also convict on an officers "estimation" of your speed, which they are trained on in the academy. Id save your money and just drive safely
uh what kind of evidence is a blank gun? sorry they can't give you a ticket with no reading to back it up...and an officers estimation of speed is done through the method of "pacing", which they have to be following you to do. It's one or the other...if a cop is following you yeah you should probably slow down.

Not that I disagree with your basic point of just driving safely - you're right. However, if I'm driving on an empty straight stretch of road in a car that's capable of going really fast - I want to be able to do so!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I have a Rocky Mountain Radar unit and it is great....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
uh what kind of evidence is a blank gun? sorry they can't give you a ticket with no reading to back it up...and an officers estimation of speed is done through the method of "pacing", which they have to be following you to do. It's one or the other...if a cop is following you yeah you should probably slow down.

Not that I disagree with your basic point of just driving safely - you're right. However, if I'm driving on an empty straight stretch of road in a car that's capable of going really fast - I want to be able to do so!
Its enough evidence for them to suspect you, pull you over for some menial violation like 1 mph over the limit, and demand you hand over the jammer. Believe me, blank screens RARELY happen in normal circumstances for any microwave band or laser, so they know somethings up. And an officer CAN estimate your speed from ANYWHERE in line of sight.... they dont have to pace you (learned that the hard way, 80 in a 50 zone). Even if they dont convict you on the speed violation, they will fine you for illegal equipment and confiscate it. Dont think they will search you? If you dont give them consent, you wait for the K9 unit, hope youre not in a hurry..... and if theres ever been a trace of pot, meth, coke, etc in your car from you or a previous owner, and the dog alerts, they rip your car apart to find what they think is there. I have friends in the NHP and sheriffs dept, and hear about this stuff. I love to drive fast also, but id save it for the track or drag strip.... or make a trip to the salt flats and peg your speedometer.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Its enough evidence for them to suspect you, pull you over for some menial violation like 1 mph over the limit, and demand you hand over the jammer. Believe me, blank screens RARELY happen in normal circumstances for any microwave band or laser, so they know somethings up. And an officer CAN estimate your speed from ANYWHERE in line of sight.... they dont have to pace you (learned that the hard way, 80 in a 50 zone). Even if they dont convict you on the speed violation, they will fine you for illegal equipment and confiscate it. Dont think they will search you? If you dont give them consent, you wait for the K9 unit, hope youre not in a hurry..... and if theres ever been a trace of pot, meth, coke, etc in your car from you or a previous owner, and the dog alerts, they rip your car apart to find what they think is there. I have friends in the NHP and sheriffs dept, and hear about this stuff. I love to drive fast also, but id save it for the track or drag strip.... or make a trip to the salt flats and peg your speedometer.
police are not always right, that simple. speed limits are bull ****, and have very little effect on safty when you are out of a neighborhood. if i had the funding i would have a scanner and jammer in my car right now. i do drive safe, but i am more then capable of decideing a safe speed in my car while going in a straight line on the freeway, its just one more way for the govrenment to pad their wallets for the most part. i am not advocating speeding. i don't speed in school zone, near parks, or through neighboor hoods, but i feel that back roads, and freeways are fair game.

Last edited by jeffast; 02-23-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Over here in Ireland we currently use a small number of automated fixed position Gatsos, which work by radar. If you get caught by one of these you are a fool or from out of town.

If you are travelling nationwide, the roving police traps are always Laser. For these you can be caught very easily, they only need seconds to lock on and they use a narrow beam.

Using a laser scrambler is frowned on and illegal. They can impound your vehicle. If you are the only car on the road and you jam their device, they ARE going to stop you and search your car.

I see a scope for a device which is currently not catered by any of the speed detector manufacturers. Say you have a radar/laser detector which can jam laser. If you are travelling below the legal speed limit you do not need this device to be jamming police laser guns.

So how about somebody inventing software that can pair this device with an accurate GPS unit? The GPS unit monitors the location and speed of your vehicle. Assume the GPS unit has a database of all active speed limit boundaries [they do have over here] .

If your vehicle is travelling below the speed limit the GPS could be programmed to deactivate the jammer, though not the detector. If the vehicle is travelling a user resettable value above the limit [2 mph, 5 mph, whatever you decide], then the GPS unit turns on the jammer.

That would be a device I would be interested in having, although I must admit, I don't speed much. I just don't like points on my license, and I don't like the sneaky places they tend to catch people.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 02-24-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

All my years of dreaming of an Autobahn between Reno and Vegas have so far resulted in nada We need one for the U.S. I mean cmon.... why cant we have one?? Im calling Barak today and getting this straightened out....

Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Autobahn between Reno and Vegas? Sounds like a plan!!! What a spectacular idea.

Anyother idea since the fateful November election and "help is on the way thingie, Stock has been in free fall and unemployment has doubled. Just since November. Yes, seems like the few people in America that have a brain left didn't buy the Obama con.

Since the "create 3,000,000 new private jobs fell through maybe that Autobahn between Reno and Vegas would help with some additional government jobs.

The good news is that at the end of this hopefully only 4 year fiasco, if only 3,500.000 people remain employed in the once great USA, mission accomplished can be declared by Obama! If you pay attention, the job creation has been changed to "jobs saved"!!!

go "Autobahn between Reno and Vegas"

Keith
Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

Anyother idea since the fateful November election and "help is on the way thingie, Stock has been in free fall and unemployment has doubled. Just since November. Yes, seems like the few people in America that have a brain left didn't buy the Obama con.

go "Autobahn between Reno and Vegas"

Keith

Keith

Obama has sworn the Presidential oath now over a month ago, and he has not yet managed to reverse the deepening world economic crisis. I am seriously pi$$ed, my faith in him has weakened. Grrrrr!

The problem is, here in Ireland we have exactly the same thing, the same statistics, and we don't even have a President to blame!

I dunno, I could emigrate, except probably that would require an autobahn to the Moon, since all first world economies seem to be in freefall.

Maybe on the Moon we could set up the new Lunar Banking System, which could be a major improvement on the greed-driven Lunatic system we are stuck with down these parts.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl