How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
Re: svx vs audi a4 quattro

the guy i bought my svx from was actually an audi mechanic with a love for the svx. im not saying i dont love my svx, ive been offered numerous trades and every time it came down to it i couldnt trade because i love the car. but if something good enough came around i would take it. its not about what i like and dont like, if i love the svx or not, its just about what is practical for me right now and i could use a 4 door that would provide some more room. its not about status for me, heck the svx gives me more recognition that any other vehicle i could have, i here comments daily about it. its just practicality and a little bit of my personal preference. if my svx had a 5spd and the work done to it that it needs i wouldnt even dream of getting rid of it, if i do end up never getting rid of it i have big plans for it, cost is just what is holding me back.

audi's have always had an appeal to me, especially the fact that it is an awd makes things even more appealing. if i could afford to have 2 vehicles i would just keep my svx and get whatever else i want, but i dont have the option. my svx has a few problems that could use attention and i just dont have the means to deal with them right now, the biggest one is the front struts needing replaced. i thought i landed some on here but i havent heard back for awhile.

i know that everyone on here loves their svx, me included, and im not looking for a yes or no answer necessarily, just any info anyone has on it. i dont know much about audi's and this is a part of my information gathering so i can be better educated because the worst thing i can do is trade or buy a car that i know nothing about. i know if i went to an audi forum and posted this same thing that it would probably be biased towards the audi.

the guy that has it lives about a block away from me but is leaving town today for the weekend. ill have plenty of time to think it over and to accumulate more opinions from here. i do plan on at least checking it out and test driving it next week sometime though.

Last edited by JLHollowX13; 02-06-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy View Post
DUDE ARE YOU NUTS????? That Audi is a rolling casket. 250,000 miles???? As a whole, gasoline german engines last no where near as long as a jap engines. Yea you might find one here and there, but you get a lot more miles out of a jap engine. To tell you the truth I wouldn't even but a japanese car with that many miles, unless somebody gave it to me. My best friends got one. He loves his vw's and audi's, loves em, but he wont buy one with over 65,000 miles. This is the first one I've ever heard with that many miles. The parts are through the roof. My mom has an A6 with the same motor. Right now with 160,000 on it, looking to get rid of it before another problem arises. I do have to say the 2.8 V6 is a good motor compaired to other vw and audi engines.

We just had to change some sensors for the tranny and with labor it was 500 bucks. For two sensors. The check engine lights are always coming on and for very stupid things. They have electrical problems. They are an absolute pain in the ass to work on, absolute pain. To change the timing belt you have to remove the front end. Everything is jam packed tight. Interior parts break.

Yes I know they are nice cars, there great when they new, but with that many miles, I WOULDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!! Maby the middle class can afford them, but with that many miles, I'll assure you, you get to know your local dealer really good. Trust me. I wouldn't trade for it, especially for my SVX.
Huh? You're clueless brotha. The 20v 5cyl audi motor equals or surpasses in longevity just about any engine ever designed, and that includes the 3.3H6. In my opinion those are the two best gas motors ever made. Their 4 cylinder turbos are very solid and very upgradeable. I'm not a fan of the V6's because they're underpowered and not upgradeable, and the 30V is so fricking complicated that it's unbelievably expensive to repair, but those engines all go 200k easily. My chipped S6 had 170k on it and 265 hp and didn't burn a drop of oil. Audi motors are easily on par with any Japanese companies.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Audis are excellent Volkswagens.
Fixed your post.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

I had an A6 before my SVX and i absolutley loved my A6...UNTIL...It started sucking the money and life out of a passionate car enthuiast. Audi's are known for expensive problems around 130k and i ran into every single one at 150k, I took meticulous care of my audi also, from personal experience i would stay away!!! the SVX is a much more solid car.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

come back when you're offered an S4 or S6 in trade
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Ok Green-You are banned for life!!

Not just from this form, but for even riding in a SVX!!

Keith
(Not actually an administrator or anything)
OK, let me clarify. My partner and I were out to dinner with another network member and his wife tonight, and I brought up this subject. After quite a bit of negotiation and discussion about this, I have to rephrase that.

I would trust my Audi on a long trip before I would trust my SVX.

There, is that better?
2001 Audi S8